1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating the most amazing man but I think I might be a lesbian

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by pinkjellyfish, Jul 25, 2021.

1. pinkjellyfish

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi! I've been dating my current boyfriend for about 2 and a half years. He is amazing and we have worked so hard to build the life we have now together. He supports me to much and I'm happy I can support him. We have fun together and he is truly my best friend. But when it comes to physical attraction it was there in the beginning but as I've been questioning more and more it feels less and less enjoyable. Sometime I try and do it for him but then I feel like I'm lying to myself.

This past weekend I have been nonstop crying about all of these feelings and I really feel like the universe is pushing me to figure this out. I don't want to keep hurting him and I don't want to be in pain anymore. He knows about everything and all that I am feeling. He has mentioned that he is okay with me trying to explore those feelings with women. And I have some relief that he is so supportive.

For some added background. I have only dated men. I've been on dates with women but nothing beyond that. No kissing nothing. I do fantasize about women though and in the past 2 years or so I would say solely women.

I'm also a bit confused because I feel like I am in love with him and have been in love with men in the past. But I can't get past these feelings that are happening now. I have genuinely enjoyed having sex in the past with my previous boyfriends.

I have no idea how to explore dating women or anything with a woman. I think the thought is so scary to me because I've never experienced it and I've created this "hetero" life for myself. I'm terrified to lose him in my life and I really do truly hope that we can still stay friends no matter what happens. But I am also excited for a future where I can accept myself for whoever I am even though I'm not sure who that is at the moment.

The concept of sexually fluid is also overwhelming because if I start dating a woman. Than what if I start wanting to date men again and he won't be there.

I know there is a lot to unpack here. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

2. pinkjellyfish

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
  3. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's important to keep in mind that we can love someone very deeply and feel strongly connected to them, even if there is a disconnect when it comes to the sexual side of a relationship. There has been a strong awakening of your feelings for members of the same sex this past year or two, but it doesn't diminish the love you have for your boyfriend. It simply means you cannot express that love in a meaningful way through sexual intimacy.

It's good you have been honest with your boyfriend about your feelings because the way forward will require more honest communication. Do you remain together (because you love each other) but accept that the physical side of your relationship will fade away as you seek sexual enjoyment elsewhere? Or do you accept that it will be better to end the relationship and find love and sexual fulfilment with someone who meets both of your individual needs... with the option of remaining close friends? You have been given a certain amount of freedom to explore things on your own, but I would suggest you maintain the dialogue from the place of love that you undoubtedly feel for your boyfriend.

It's never easy when we find ourselves in this position. Very few people enter into a relationship with a member of the opposite sex with the intention of causing them hurt or pain and in many cases we enter into these relationships with little awareness of latent feelings for people of the same sex. Your boyfriend can't fully appreciate what you are going through, but you seem to have dealt with this in a mature way so far by telling him about your feelings. As long as you can be kind to each other you will find a way through this, but if it does become a struggle have a think about involving a relationship counsellor.

4. Ingvermama

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You are young enough to have time to think and maybe try something different to explore you feelings. I am married to a man and I know I also would love to have a relationship with a woman, women make me horny and I know I would love it more than anything. Please allow yourself a chance to try something different.

5. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey welcome to EC, your story is one that quite often pops up on EC. It is truely a really difficult situation to be in and ultimately nobody can tell you want to do or what you want however I think what I can say from reading peoples stories is if you are having these doubts and feelings now the worst thing to do would be to ignore them.
    It is understandable that you dont want to hurt him but continuing the relationship whilst you are not attracted to him will in the long run hurt him more.

It is really great that you have been able to talk to him about it, keeping that open conversation however difficult will be really helpful for you both. I hope you find EC helpful.

Ingvermama and out2019 like this.