1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Conversations with friends…

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Bastion, Sep 3, 2022.

1. Bastion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So I have reading this book called “Conversations with friends” And now discovered the series. On the surface it might seem like a very casual and entertaining fiction. But in reality it’s deeper and more complicated than than that. The main character, a very talented writer to be is also bisexual. At the beginning she has a longtime relationship/friendship thing with her same gender, a female, then they meet a married couple and she has an affair with the guy who is married and it goes back and forth. It is interesting to see how the dynamic of the four related protagonists develop, crash, and go back again.
    Am thinking how can this work? Is it just fiction or is it real? Is it possible that a person can form such relationships and sustain them with both the apposite gender and the same gender at the same time.

Maybe it is a form of open relationships that is not so rare these days because the guy won’t leave his wife, she doesn’t want to leave either. The other girl is indifferent sometimes and has her own flings. But still remains attached and cares for the main character.
    Anyway I thought it would be interesting to bring that up in here and have a discussion about it.

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ah Sally Rooney... :slight_smile:

Away from the fiction, such relationships do exist which could be classified as open relationships. As I haven't read the book, I am not sure if the relationship described could also classify as polyamory - though I'm inclinded to say it's likely an open relationship based on the synopsis you have provided. It can work as long as everyone involved is in agreement or has given their consent to be in an open relationship.

I used to belong to a LGBTQ+ support group and a couple of the regular attendees were in open relationships. It seems to have worked for them as they trusted each other to maintain boundaries and be honest with each other at all times, especially as the relationships also involved intimacy.

However, things can go sideways in particular if one isn't honest or doesn't have the boundaries in place that are needed in such a relationship.

Bastion likes this.
  3. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been curious about such relarionships and thought that maybe I could be in a relationship like this in the future as I am polysexual, but you know I learned this year something about myself. I learned that I get jelaous easilly and now feel like this wouldn't work for me.

Bastion likes this.
  4. Bastion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    @Rayland yeah I know what you mean and feel. I don’t think it’s for everyone. I don’t know if i can do that. One relationship is plenty let alone 2. Especially if there are more than two persons involved. These are like four people who are all interconnected. And sometimes they actually suffer. Jealousies arise and then they confront each. Separate and go back to doing the same thing. Am like. Are you guys for real? Seriously. As @Mirko said these things do exist and not just in fiction. Am like what… I know hook ups and stuff don’t last and this people do a lot. But full blown mixed orientation relationships. It’s something. I think you should read this author she is very interesting. I only read two of her books.the other popular one is kinda tame compared to this one. You might like it.