1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Continuing Journey of Comming Out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Isbjorn, Aug 11, 2022.

1. Isbjorn

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The first important person in my life I came out to was my son. It was September, 2020. I was 51, and he was 21. In the car on the way to pick up ice cream. I chose that time because we were alone. I knew he would take it well as it was not the first time we had talked about it (another story). Even though we had talked about it, it was still nerve-wracking for me, because it was also an ultimate acknowledgement of my acceptance of myself. He took it really well, as expected, but still a relief.

We even talked about what type of guy I was attracted to. I expressed my concerns about being a big hairy dude that was as far away from any gay stereotype as you could get ever being attractive to another man. He laughed and said not to worry. There were plenty out there that are attracted to my type. He was the one that told me to look up Bears online. LMAO. My kid schooled me! I was pretty far behind the learning curve on things LGBTQIA+. I still am stunned at the sheer diversity and learn things new nearly every day. A bunch is learned here as well.

The next hardest one was my priest. Yes, my priest. I go to a very diverse and I am happy to say pretty progressive church. It is Episcopal for those wondering. Part of what I like about most Episcopalians is that it is an intellectual faith, for the most part, that encourages thought and questioning. I say for the most part because there are exceptions to that rule, just like any other organization. Anyway, I digress. He was very supportive and has been a great sounding board for my marriage. That one was easier, because I knew he would not, could not talk about our conversation. I also was pretty sure he would not judge or try to save me from my sins.

Over time, there have been more, some more notable than others. I also know I am not done, nor will I ever be, especially because I have no plans for big announcements. If it comes around, I will not deny it. It is just a very personal thing for me and I do not feel the need to broadcast it. Though I have started wearing more jewelery that states it, if you know what you are looking for. Not fine jewelery. God no, not my style. Large biker/steam punk type rings, bracelets with bear colors, an earing. Things like that.

Recently, a very conservative friend in church asked about the slight changes in my apparel. This one put me to the test of my statements that I would never deny it if asked. He is from my parents' generation, in his late 70's, an Army Veteran, and a good family friend. I wasn't too sure what his reaction would be and was concerned I would be judged or lose his friendship. He asked pretty bluntly, which is his way, and I love him for it, why my appearance was changing from the concervative military man he knew me to be to wearing an earing and rings, etc. I took a deep breath and told him, I was bisexual and feeling like wearing some bling that represents that part of me, bracing for the worst. He nodded and said, he was glad I felt comfortable sharing that with him. That it wasn't for him, but he respected me and loved me. Then he went on to say how proud he was thar our country was slowly starting to accept and even treat more equally all people. Part of why he, and yes even I, joined the military for in the first place.

I am sure there will be more notable comming out stories as my life goes on. I will share them here as they happen, or at least as I remember them happening.

PEACE!

Monica M, Bastion, Bludzee and 2 others like this.