1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Community in a pandemic

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by lavalamp, Nov 11, 2020.

1. lavalamp

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm a queer woman halfway out of the closet but still in a 20 year straight marriage that I'm fearfully considering ending. The pandemic has stalled my overall sense that I'm working toward a future, and has kept me from connecting to others while working through this. Any ideas about how to meet / connect with women in this situation and begin to form a community or make friends?

Drizzle likes this.
  2. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    lavalamp.....Hello and a great big welcome to Empty Closets! I like your user ID...I have two lava lamps sitting on my desk right now! You've already taken a big step in connecting with others by posting here on EC. There are many really great folks here. I'm sure you'll find many people with common interests that you can chat with. Empty Closets isn't a meetup/dating app, but you'll be able to find plenty of support here. We're so glad that you have found us here on EC!
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

lavalamp likes this.
  3. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi @lavalamp

I’m sorry that the pandemic has stopped your progress. As @quebec suggested, EC can be a great source of support, particularly when there are no other ways to connect with people in a similar situation. I know that isn’t exactly what you are seeking and I think the pandemic has impacted a lot of people in a similar way.

Could you perhaps use this time to do some reflection on the “fearfully considering” option and research some of the practical elements? Or if you’re feeling suck, perhaps look at therapy which can be done virtually?

lavalamp and Bastion like this.
  4. SevnButton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I kinda tend to be a hermit, but I know it's good for me to be around other people, so I have to continually make the effort to reach out to people. So often, I think of something I could do, then I remember the pandemic. For now, I reach out to people I already know,, whether or not I'm out to them, and I try to be honest and speak with my heart. Meeting new people and making friends is really hard right now. Some people do well with on-line groups and Zoom meet-ups. I'll be watching this thread for ideas. Thanks for starting it, @lavalamp !

lavalamp, Frankie46 and Bastion like this.
  5. lavalamp

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you! I do hope to meet some friends to chat with here, it seems like a welcoming place.

LostInDaydreams likes this.