1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bullying

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by PinkCarnation41, Jul 4, 2021.

1. PinkCarnation41

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've heard that some people at work don't like working with me because I'm a lesbian. They don't believe in two women being together, it's not natural and it's amoral. I found out recently that one of my colleagues had a party at her house and I was the only one not invited because she said she doesn't want a lesbian at her house. The problem is I haven't heard these comments myself but I do feel that colleagues are dismissive towards me and I generally feel like an outsider. I don't know what to do without concrete proof.

2. Raisinsss

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I remember, I used to work at a convenience store/gas station place as a bottle collector in the home town I grew up in. Which, spoiler alert, had lots of homophobic, annoying hardcore Christians, so I knew going in I was going to be getting a lot of crap for my appearance. I expected it from the costumers, but like two weeks in, I learn that the big boss guy has a history of being homophobic to employees. So, me being me, I avoid confrontation and put on my "man face" which was pretty solid at the time.
    People there just thought I was a straight guy. In a way, it was kind of the first time a group of people had treated me as a man and not a woman or child, because I came out as trans shortly after my eighteenth birthday and before attempting employment here, had look pretty feminine. Anyway, give it about another month, and my brother outs me (on accident, more or less). I definitely don't have proof, but I never had any chance of improving my station there. No pay raises, no promotions, no trust, after two years and busting my ass. They wonder why I stopped caring about my job.
    There was no relieving dysphoria. I was out as trans to everyone, but if I dressed wrong or even just let my mannerisms slip a costumer would insult me or just treat me like crap.
    At some point, a man started working there that, because it was commonplace at this point, got told I was trans. Turns out, he has a ten year old daughter who was assigned male at birth.
    He told me basically, "just get the heck out of here."
    I left the first chance I got. That place would have killed me.
    Anyway, almost every job I've had has had somebody come through at some point having a problem with me being trans or a "male" with my characteristics. I don't really care that much anymore. Unless it's my employer, they can go to hell. If it is my employer, I'm looking for a new job. I work to survive and earn money. I have no obligation to continue working somewhere I don't want to work and neither do you. Just make sure you have some other way to earn income until you can figure things out.

caden0803 and Love2sleep like this.
  3. Really

Ugh. That’s rough. I think for me, I’d just make sure I was doing my job the best I could and if any of their attitude was making it harder for me to do that, I’d start documenting it and calling it out, on the spot, but only in the context of your work. Don’t let them know it has a personal effect on you. If it continues unabated, report it.
    Just a thought. Good luck.

caden0803 and Mirko like this.
  4. Love2sleep

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Firstly I’m so sorry to hear you’re experiencing such rumours. It’s not easy to deal with such behaviours. Stand tall and remember you are a wonderful person and whomever you identify as is nobody’s concern. Like the post above, carry on doing the best job you can and if this behaviour becomes more than rumours, report the behaviour as it is discrimination. You cannot

caden0803 likes this.
  5. Love2sleep

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Firstly I’m so sorry to hear you’re experiencing such rumours. It’s not easy to deal with such behaviours. Stand tall and remember you are a wonderful person and whomever you identify as is nobody’s concern. Like the post above, carry on doing the best job you can and if this behaviour becomes more than rumours, report the behaviour as it is discrimination. You cannot unfortunately do anything about social events but you can keep you head up and to be frank would you want to attend the party, with people who are so narrow minded and homophobic?
    Any time you need to vent or would like support or advice, this community is here for you.

sorry it cut my text!

caden0803 likes this.
  6. caden0803

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    While I have not experienced homophobic behavior from others around me yet I’m sorry your being treated this way. It’s so unfair how cruel some people can be for liking who you like. Keep your head high and remember you have allies here who will love that part of you always.

#6 caden0803, Jul 4, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2021
  7. Love2sleep

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have suffered homophobic behaviour and it made me feel awful about myself until I came to conclusion it is their behaviour that is awful and I am great the way I am.

caden0803, TomTomSouth100 and Lemony like this.