1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beyond pronouns, what terms do you or don't you like?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by LaurenSkye, Nov 4, 2020.

1. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Beyond just the pronouns, are there terms related to your true gender, not the one you were assigned at birth, that you like or dislike? Terms like dude, gal, king, princess, stud, babe, etc.

For me, I like being called sister or sis by my trans friends (since I'm not out to my blood brothers), I also kinda like queen in certain ways such as I've recently dubbed myself the meme queen amongst my Facebook friends, and after telling a friend of mine that I added the name Alexis as an additional middle name he started calling me "LAS" (Lauren Alexis Skye) and I thought I like that term "lass". I do not however care to be called princess. I think princess is often used in a negative way to describe someone as feminine and immature (often times men), and I think in general princesses are overrated.

2. jessie19

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Well i love sis, and actually princess, it helps me smile knowing i am what i always wanted to be called.

I guess at the end of it it comes down to what everyone personally likes

3. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I like it that people simply assume that I am female. I do not really have any special things referring to being female that make me feel better.

The things that I dislike are mostly the various slurs used to put down any LGBT people and those specific to transitioned persons. I dislike but I guess do not hate queen (associations with cross dressing) or queer which some people have tried to "take back" but I still see as an insult. The one where I differ from many is that I dislike transgender - my gender has never changed, I was born female but was forced for much of my life to pretend otherwise and hated because first I was terrible at it and then finally I just refused to do so. When I have to specify my health issues with professionals I call myself a transsexual woman but for everyone else I am just a woman with no "not a real" woman adjective before it.

4. Phoenix92

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If it’s distinctly masculine in the singular form or it has usage that is distinctly masculine, I hate a term being used as a generalisation.
    I’m only okay with “dude” if I’ve given permission.

5. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I love 'lass' too. It sounds unpretentious and down to earth.

Female friends have addressed me as 'hun' and 'lovely', which I don't mind at all. And I was referred to as 'madam' in a restaurant the other day, which I loved!

Think I'm too old to be a princess, and, yes, it's increasingly used as a pejorative, as a substitute for 'spoilt brat', isn't it?

Beth

6. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I'm okay being called "dude", but not with being called "a dude". I'm okay being included in "guys", too. As long as it's general and not specifically masculine.

I don't particularly like being called "ma'am" or a woman though. Not sure why. Maybe because they make me sound old? Or maybe because they're very gendered, and I'm more nonbinary. But then, I don't mind "young lady" or "princess" too much...