1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A persistent intrusive thought

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Canterpiece, Dec 20, 2021.

1. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, I get intrusive thoughts about various different topics. They can be violent and gory, sometimes downright ridiculous, or simply do not reflect the attitudes I have. I am aware that these thoughts do not represent me and I can often trace them back to where the thought originated from. Generally, in my case, the intrusive thoughts I have centre around morality. They are typically based on what I've heard others say (either directed at me, or someone else).

I understand that these thoughts are just a part of my life, but they can ruin my day for a couple hours or so and they can impact how I act when around others. Certain subjects are easier to push through than others, for example I can quickly dismiss my intrusive thoughts about going off the rails and becoming a murderer because I know that this is very unlikely to happen. That thought hasn't occurred recently as much since it has lost strength against me and stopped cropping up (except in the form of hurting animals or babies by throwing them into traffic, but I mainly just laugh at that kind of intrusive thought because it's so extreme and ridiculous that I simply reply to myself sarcastically 'ah yes, because that totally sounds like behaviour I would do').

Then there's the homophobic thoughts and the thoughts about body image. In my case, they are somewhat connected and I'll explain that. So, I have come across the misguided homophobic statement that gay people are actually just narcissists whom are attracted to themselves and this attraction to the same sex is an extension of vanity. Of course, this is complete nonsense. I know that. After all, I don't look in a mirror and find myself attracted to myself. Rather I just think 'Yup, that's me' and I am rather neutral to my body.

Yet it's a rather persistent intrusive thought that keeps cropping up and frankly I feel like yelling at it for not leaving me alone. It extends into other thoughts, such as having days where I am comfortable with having a visible chest and other days where I want to appear flat chested and don't even like to acknowledge that I have boobs. Fortunately for me I have a small chest, so I can easily switch between the two by simply wearing a looser shirt. Is this gender dysphoria or an extension of my intrusive thoughts? Who knows? Not me. Dear brain, could you just shut up for once?

...I just needed to express this.

#1 Canterpiece, Dec 20, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2021
  2. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Canterpiece.....I'm so sorry that you are dealing with all of this. Intrusive thoughts are can be related to compulsive thoughts/actions and OCD. There's been a lot of discussion here on EC lately about OCD and some folks have gone overboard with it. However, I think you should consider it. I have OCD that is treated with medication and therapy. At one point in time it had caused a lot of difficulties for me and I am very glad that it is now under control. I don't want to scare you or anything like that...but it might be a good idea to speak to a professional about these intrusive thoughts. If there is really nothing to them, then great! But if they are a precursor to OCD or something else, catching it early would be a very good thing. Please don't panic...just have them checked like you would have any health issue checked. :old_smile:
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

3. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with David that it would be a good idea to go and see a professional. I also did the same thing as you by telling my brain to shut up, but that don't really work. This is something that is not part of normal life and I have understood that by dealing with it myself.