1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A new beginning

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Contented, Aug 28, 2022.

1. Contented

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It’s been awhile since I have posted. A busy summer has led to starting a new relationship, I think. At a friend’s summer party I met a wonderful younger man that I hit it off with. We exchanged numbers but based on the fact I am 18 years older I wasn’t expecting anything. However he contacted me and decided to meet for dinner. We had a great time with dinner and drinks afterwards at a waterfront bar. It turns out we have a fair amount in common and 4 hours disappeared in no time. Since then we have been out quite a few times and have been intimate as well. It has been an incredible experience for me and hopefully for him. He is very “ gay” and so comfortable in his own skin. He introduced me to a friend of his as me being his boyfriend. Hearing that made me feel absolutely fantastic.
    I am leery however due to our age difference, I am afraid of getting hung up on him and then us breaking up. I know he wants to pursue a more serious relationship and I am hesitant. Am I being overly cautious or just stupid?

CatsAndDogs, Joolz66 and mnguy like this.
  2. bsg75apollo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As someone who has spent years being overly cautious, I would tell you to relax, stop overthinking, and enjoy. Stepping outside of your comfort zone is so liberating and evert step leads to growth and potential.

Joolz66 and Isbjorn like this.
  3. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Contented.....There is no way to tell if this is a LTR or not. I'd say for now at least enjoy the ride and see where it takes you. The time may come where you will need to have a serious conversation about the relationship and what each of you expects out of it, but that need not be right now. Enjoy what you have been blessed with...there are many who would love to be in your shoes! :old_big_grin:
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

CatsAndDogs and Isbjorn like this.
  4. Contented

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    David,
    Thanks for the sage advice. The relationship presents some challenges for sure. I love being with him and yet I feel self conscious with him at the same time. I worry, I am sure needlessly, that someone will see me as some creepy older guy lol.
    Or worse that he is interested in me only for monetary reasons. Totally untrue as I am financially secure, he is even more so. Perhaps I am overthinking this, and I just need to go with the flow.

5. Isbjorn

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am very happy for you! So what if he is younger. If you both want it, go for it. Don't worry right now about LTR. Allow yourself to get to know one another and enjoy your time together.

6. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Contended.....I really do hope this works out for both of you! This reminds me of a couple on youtube who are similar. I can't remember their names or I'd share them with you, but you might be able to search for them. They also do some tik-toks and really do look like a great couple. I'd guess their ages at say 24-25 & maybe late 40's
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

7. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey @Contented

There's no way to know how things will work out. There are a lot of older/younger relationships in the gay world that seem to work out fine. Maybe just let things develop without any preconceived plans about where it will go. I would suggest just keeping the channels of communication with you new guy as open as you can. If the age difference is bothering you, it is OK to discuss it with him!

justaguyinsf and CatsAndDogs like this.
  8. Contented

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nickw we have indeed discussed it. He keeps telling me it’s simply a product of my generational upbringing. Working on getting past my seeming hang up on our age difference.

9. buzzer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Great replies indeed! I would say give the relationship a chance and see where it goes. My husband is 15 years older than me and we have been together (happily) longer than most couples we know (gay or straight, married or living together) and we still have a great relationship. Best wishes to the both of you.

CatsAndDogs likes this.
  10. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sounds great I'm really happy for you! For sure keep seeing him and when worries about age or whatever pop up, see if you can notice them and say nah, not getting sucked into that again haha, and let it fade away. I hope it keeps going well and you both have fun together!

11. Contented

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We have made it official we are boyfriends. It feels wonderful to be able to say I have a boyfriend again. While so far we have not moved in together we have discussed it.
    Just recently we attended an event as a couple and the feeling was awesome. It felt so right! For the most part I am over being concerned about the age difference. My boyfriend for lack of a better descriptor is very gay and effeminate at the same time so confident in who he is. I love that about him as he does not compromise who he is for any reason. More and more he has been encouraging me to do the same. I don’t know where this relationship might lead but right now it is so incredibly fulfilling and above all else funny again. Feel like a teenager and more than ever so glad I am 100% gay!

12. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    By the time the younger person in a relationship is in their 30s, most of the concerns about age gaps in relationships relating to power imbalances that cause problems have significantly diminished.

As long as there is open communication and each of you is working to ensure there is balance and mutual respect, it should be fine. Communication about everything -- including the stuff that makes each of you uncomfortable -- is everything.

13. Contented

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Chip one thing we have been doing religiously is communicating honestly about how we feel as we develop our relationship. His friends are obviously younger like him and at the beginning I felt the odd man out. After we discussed it he made an effort to include me more in the conversation and activities. Even in the bedroom we have both been vocal about what works and what doesn’t quite hit our hot buttons. It has made sex so much more sensual, erotic and gratifying beyond my dreams. Satisfaction in a relationship means open honest communication. I am learning that lesson.

14. Contented

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just wanted to provide an update. Our relationship has been progressing nicely. We still maintain separate residence however we spend almost every night together. Talking about moving in together soon. It is exciting as more and more I feel we are a couple. I love being with him in public as proud gay men. It’s a rush to be able to be who you are without compromise. We are not in your face gay men but rather a loving couple that happens to be composed of two men.
    I feel like I have won some wonderful lottery waking up every morning next to this incredibly sexy, warm, witty passionate guy.
    I marvel at the fact I was every with a woman, it’s seems so foreign to me now. I am sometimes embarrassed to admit I was ever “straight” as I feel so gay. Gay friends I meet are shocked to hear I was in heterosexual relationships. Even for me it’s seems like a different lifetime ago. I have never been happier or more at ease with my sexuality as I am now. I absolutely love being gay without exception. This relationship has allowed me to grow into my sexuality more fully and more honestly. I still pinch myself wondering how I got so lucky.

#14 Contented, Oct 13, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2022
    buzzer, CatsAndDogs, Joolz66 and 5 others like this.
  15. Adz6

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I loved reading this last post
    A happy confident man,
    Reading this made my day

16. PJ208

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Age is just a number. Enjoy your time and don't even give it a 2nd thought, especially if he isn't. We can what-if ourselves into believing our own negative self talk and in no time be single because of it. Enjoy enjoy enjoy.....

17. Contented

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As time goes on age becomes less an issue for me. It certainly doesn’t seem to be one for him. The only observation I will make is that now that our group of gay friends skew a little younger I detect some differences. There seems to be some real bias against straight people in the younger gay men I meet. There is almost an arrogance in them that gay is so superior to heterosexual. Almost all have never been in any kind of straight relationships and find it difficult to understand how I ever was in a straight relationship. I have even heard the expression they are so glad they have never been breeders. This attitude does bother me to some extent however I can say without question I am enjoying this relationship even more than my first and only previous one. I think because I am more relaxed with the idea of being in an openly gay relationship. We are not hiding anything and in many ways that has afforded me even greater freedom in expressing who I am. Being able to immerse myself freely in gay culture and no longer pretending to be this stereotypical masculine man I have experienced a freedom and an intense sexual awakening I never expected . I can be who I always was but had buried so deeply in shame, doubt and homophobia. My journey continues and I consider myself to be so incredibly luck!

buzzer, Gay Brett and Joolz66 like this.
  18. Contented

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We pulled the plug and moved in together as of the first. Truly exciting time as we start to develop our various patterns. It’s early but it is such a joy to be living in an intimate relationship with another man in the same household. It seems so natural. We have some learning of each other’s habits to do for sure but that’s to be expected. Never thought I would do it, but life has a way of continuous surprises.

buzzer and Gleek99 like this.
  19. Gay Brett

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is very natural for us gay men, Contented. So wonderful you are living the life you were meant to and to read your boyfriend has an openly gay personality. Hope it is rubbing off on you and you are filled with gay pride that allows your more effeminate nature to shine through as well. Not all gays are effeminate but for those of us who are it sure is nice to act and feel this way all the time. In my opinion there is nothing sexier than a man and I’m glad you have one now in your bed every night. You did it!!’ You are living what was only a dream not too long ago.

Enzo46, Joolz66 and Contented like this.
  20. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Whats it like living together ?