1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A little venting

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by staticinmyattic, Dec 1, 2022.

1. staticinmyattic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hey, long time no post. I had decided to keep my gender identity private and not discuss it further, or think about it if avoidable. So lots of avoidance and repression. This past fall, my brother got married. He’s an alcoholic and has been physically and verbally abusive to me for years. I’d been avoiding him for a long time because his blow ups are too much for me (I end up suicidal for at least a month every time). I didn’t go to the wedding. He’s been showing all the warning signs of an impending meltdown (signs I’ve had years to learn to recognize) and I decided I didn’t want to be the object of a meltdown at his wedding. He responded with the worst meltdown he’s ever given me. Talked a lot about my death. It left me suicidal, depressed, and surprisingly, completely disconnected from the feelings of being transgender. It was like there was no sense of self at all. Just fear response. Now time has passed and I’m feeling better, and those old trans feelings are rushing back. It’s exhausting.

2. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Static.....It sounds to me like you need to give yourself space from your brother. If he has this kind of negative effect on you then your best move is to just stay completely away from him. You don't even need to give him a reason...just stay away. If, as you say this has been going on for years, then you can expect that it won't change. Your only option to protect yourself is to stay away from him completely. It sounds harsh...but your health is more important than putting up with an abusive brother. So sorry that you've had to deal with this for so long! :old_frown:
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

3. staticinmyattic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks, and agreed. We won’t be speaking again unless he makes some big changes. I’ve cut him out of my life before and only let him back in because he’s been through a couple rounds of rehab and says he isn’t drinking (I have my doubts). Either he’s still drinking, in which case cutting off contact makes sense, or he’s not drinking, in which case the rage isn’t because of booze, it’s just him.

4. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Static..... It's sad that it has to be this way, but your own peace of mind is important. If this is the only way that works so be it.
    .....David :gay_pride_flag: