1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A little darker question

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by MikeL1962, Apr 7, 2021 at 12:45 PM.

1. MikeL1962

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So for a very long time I have struggled with depression, Anxiety, substance abuse and Alcohol issues. I think it's from years of suppressing the true me. I am now on anti depressants...although I feel better I don't think it has solved anything really. To those of you who have dealt with this..do you get any better after coming out and living your true life.

2. Suitsme

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have always battled with depression and anxiety as part of my chronic health issues.

Having said that though, since I came out I felt like part of the weight on my shoulders lifted. It’s still not easy though and I find that we have to constantly come out to new people as we go through life’s journey. But once the part of me that was hidden could actually be out and proud, it did help with some of my anxiety. I ended up in a total mess with my mental health as things came to a head before I came out. A lot of pain was alleviated afterwards.

I still struggle but like I said, that’s to do with my health conditions.

I’m sorry to read of your struggles. I do hope that some of your pain will subside now that you are able to be yourself.

MikeL1962 likes this.
  3. ShyBirdy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I also struggle with anxiety and depression, but I only acknowledged that I’m not straight a few months ago, so I don’t know if coming out helps.

I can say that what’s helped me with my mental health issues is medication, seeing a counsellor, a support group that I attend and other things I do to help my mental health. EC has helped too, since now I have somewhere to get support for LGBTQ issues.

MikeL1962 likes this.
  4. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am diagnosed Schizoaffective Disorder with Bipolar Type II. Also, anxiety issues, PTSD and I have had some issues with alcohol. Medications do not help me, I only get the side effects and no help with the depression.

Living as my true self helps a great deal but I have also needed a great deal of talk therapy and I have had to do a lot of self discovery to figure out why I get into abusive relationships. I am still working on the PTSD.

Some things that have helped are paying attention to my patterns and trying to learn, meditation and mindfulness. When things get tough I have to just tell myself that it is the depression talking and that it will eventually go away. It is the same with the anxiety, relaxation and deep breathing help me get through but sometimes no matter what I do self harm and I just accept that it does happen.

MikeL1962 likes this.