1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Names names names

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by FoxFeathers, Jan 18, 2023.

1. FoxFeathers

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I've been working on choosing some potential names for myself, and right now I'm leaning towards the name Rusty. I got it from- don't laugh- the Warriors series, because it was one of my favorites growing up. Does it make me feel warm and fuzzy inside? Yes, yes it does. Am I going to name myself after a fictional cat? Probably. I seek the help of ye on Empty Closets for the following questions:
    1. Would you assume the name Rusty is a male, female, or neutral name?
    2. Is it too informal and/or would I be better suited with a longer form like Russel or Russet?
    3. Does it carry negative connotations (bad people with the name, the meaning)?
    4. Bonus question: ideas for my middle name?
    Thank you! If you have any other advice or stories about chosen names, I would love to hear them ^-^

TinyWerewolf likes this.
  2. Incoming

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Rusty strikes me as very gender-neutral, but still having alot of warmth and character.
    I don't think it's too casual, and to my ear it sounds more inviting and colorful than the other 2 options you named. It certainly doesn't bring to mind anything negative.
    The only question I have is whether there is something about your physical appearance (permanent or fluctuating) that would make the name seem a little obvious. (For example, it might be somewhat cliched if you're a redhead ?)
    Otherwise, I think it's a great choice.

TinyWerewolf and FoxFeathers like this.
  3. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You already answered the important ones.
    I don't think it carries any negative things any more than any other name does. And honestly, I don't think it really matters all that much. You want to be Rusty? Cool! If that name is what makes you happy to be answered by, then mission accomplished.

TinyWerewolf, FoxFeathers and Rayland like this.
  4. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to names. To me it Rusty is perfect for a dog or cat with red hair, less so a human.

But hey, if you like it then go for it!

Beth

FoxFeathers likes this.
  5. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    FoxFeathers.....I think that Rusty is a really great name! Many years ago, at the start of my 41-year teaching career I had a student named Rusty. He was one of the best kids I ever had and he and I were very close. We've also stayed in touch over the years. I was only four years older than the senior students and we did many things together, he and I and several of his friends. I really do like that name...my oldest sons' middle name is Rusty!!
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

FoxFeathers and TinyWerewolf like this.
  6. bsg75apollo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To m Rusty is a male name, but I can envision a woman using it as well. I could see using something like Russell for formal, legal reasons but going by Rusty in everyday life. I wouldn't use Russet because it makes me think of a potato. Rusty makes me think of a character's alias in the animated television show King of the Hill. Unfortunately. I also personally have a bad connotation with the name. I knew someone as a kid whose name is Rusty and he was a bully and an ass to me. But that's just me.

FoxFeathers and TinyWerewolf like this.