1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ADHD diagnosis as adult?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by taken, Oct 20, 2022.

1. taken

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Anyone struggle with ADD or ADHD as an adult? I don’t know how to approach the conversation with my primary doctor to further investigate this without sounded like I’m seeking out controlled drugs in the US.

2. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Just ask to be tested for it. My father in law found out he had it at age 50 or 60. Most good doctors are less likely to push pills and recommend other forms of treatment for a lot of things these days.

3. bsg75apollo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know several people who were not diagnosed until adulthood. They were not stigmatized or questioned about their intentions.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It isn't at all uncommon to not realize you have ADHD until you are an adult.

Your primary care doctor will not be equipped to perform an assessment but can refer you to a psychiatrist or psychologist who can do so. A *proper* assessment, especially for adults, is a long and involved process, but many managed care organizations try to get by with much shorter and less accurate asssessments. Don't be afraid to bitch and try to get the more comprehensive assessment if the simple questionnaire does not reveal adult ADHD.

Also, not all meds for ADHD are highly addictive stimulants; there are some newer and less addiction prone medications.

One thing though: If you do have a history of addictive patterns, you want to clearly disclose that and discuss with a psychiatrist. Some people with addictive histories can be effectively medicated with ADHD stimulants, others don't fare so well. You do want to be thoughtful if you have that history, or if addiction history runs in your family.

BocciBee likes this.