1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to quit a bad workplace without burning bridges?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Canterpiece, Nov 16, 2022.

1. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, I don't like my job. I know I've been complaining about it recently here, sorry. Anyway, I'm searching for a new job and I've been wondering how to leave without well, burning any bridges. I know that the dreaded "So, why are you looking for a new job?" question will likely come up in interviews and I want to be prepared. I can't exactly be honest about my reasons. After all, I still want a reference.

I can't say "I've grown tired of the way people talk about women in the office. There's a creepy guy who has previously made sexually harassing comments about me but I can't report that to HR without facing consequences. I don't enjoy listening to the homophobic jokes that go on and I very much feel like I don't belong in this boys' club".

Recently I've been looking up potential answers...but they all sound rather robotic. Any advice is welcomed. Maybe something about career growth? Hmm.

Tightrope likes this.
  2. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I hate to say it, but I feel like most interview answers *are* fake. How similar is your current job to the jobs you're applying for?

Tightrope and mnguy like this.
  3. bsg75apollo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    6Honestly, I'd be honest without giving great detail, something along the likes of "There are certain workplace norms which I find unacceptable and would like to find a more professional and collaborative environment." You can always decline to provide further details as you are still in that environment and they are people there who you still respect. On of the last things you want to do is find yourself in the same type of place.

BiGemini87, Shorthaul and Tightrope like this.
  4. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm sorry this is still going on, it's such bs of them and how they would retaliate, wtf. What year is it?

How will you find out if the prospective new job has decent people at it so hr can do it's job and get rid of aholes who don't follow basic human rights rules? Anyone referring you to a job who knows what it's like?

Reasons for wanting a new job: closer to home or to transit or some other place you go, perhaps an ailing relative you help care for. You want a new type of job or a higher position open at another company. Change it up and say you want to work a different schedule or need more flexibility for the ailing relative or maybe more wfh time. We are very creative to help you :slight_smile:

What can your company hr say to a potential new employer calling to check on your work history? Mine claim all they would say is the dates of employment for the person. That's it, nothing about why they left or what they were like as employee, etc.

Tightrope likes this.
  5. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    They are. This situation is tricky. The fake and robotic answers might be safer.

It was said above that you don't want to end up in the same type of company. You have to do your best to read what they might be like. They're trying to read you. If you have the right qualifications, the decision to hire someone is really based on the chemistry during that short meeting. Hopefully you will notice if something is just not right during the interview. You can continue to be cardboard like so that it goes smoothly and then just distance yourself from the event. That's just what I think.

I answered this question the wrong way once and didn't get a job offer. It turned out to be good thing. The position I was describing just wasn't a good fit and when it's not a good fit, it can get more tense.

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You don't have to give any reason for leaving other than "This new opportunity came up for me, and I decided it would be a good career move for me." That way there's no need to get into anything that the employer could take the wrong way.

BiGemini87, Shorthaul, HM03 and 2 others like this.
  7. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't get me wrong, I wasn't completely oblivious to the type of workplace I was agreeing to join when I took this job (although I didn't expect it to be quite at this level). I noticed several red flags during the interview process. However, I'd been searching for a job for a while. It's pretty difficult to land your first job and I knew that I needed to find something. Anything. To get out of the search. It is significantly easier to find a job once you've had one, you're no longer seen as the recent graduate. So, reluctantly, I took the job. I think that I can afford to be a little more selective this time around, I know I'm not going to find the dream job, I'm not deluded, but I have a couple more options now. My expectations were already low when I was told that most people quit this position before four weeks. I've lasted five months so far.

Leaving the company doesn't seem so bad. I think I have enough courage to write my resignation letter and hand it to my boss. He doesn't expect people to hang around, so I think he'll begrudgingly accept the whole line about opportunity. Granted, he won't be happy about having to find someone who wants my job. That's his problem though.

However, what concerns me is landing that opportunity in the first place. A common question in interviews (so I've been told) is "Why do you want to leave your current job?" Essentially to screen out difficult people. Particularly since I haven't been working there all that long. That's what I want to focus on - my answer to that question during interviews.

8. Cinnamoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sometimes people move jobs because they want to broaden their skillset and learn new things. Maybe there's something about the different jobs you're interested in that could help you build up your CV? If you can find reasons you're attracted to these new jobs regardless of what's happening at your current job, that might help you to focus on the positive ways getting a different job will help you. Job hopping isn't always seen as a negative thing, as long as you've stuck it out somewhere for a few months then there's nothing wrong with you shopping around for something new.

BiGemini87 likes this.
  9. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm curious, how long have you been at this current job? I definitely can understand an employer's reasoning because it is that whole (frankly what I see as ridiculous) mindset that oh if they're leaving after this many months the only reason must be they suck at their job and will leave me in same amount of months because it's "not what I wanted". When any good employer should stay away from that question and more find out about an employee's skillset but that's me. Still I am curious as it might help us come up with good solutions to that question.

Also, and you TOTALLY do not have to say as I don't want to bridge your privacy, but can you say are you a recent grad from postsecondary (uni, college, etc) or more from Year 11? I ask this only from perspective that if you're applying to something say office-based (so something maybe a uni grad might go for) vs. customer service (something that is seen more traditionally for those still in their years I find) that too can differ how managers may see someone job hunting.

Again don't have to answer what you're not comfortable with but I hope you don't mind me asking and hope I can maybe come up with potential solutions.

10. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hated that question when I was job hunting too because in my old job I was overworked, underpaid, and in an extremely toxic environment. It helps to focus your potential answers not on why you’re looking, but on what appeals to you about the job you’re applying for. I used the career growth one a lot, although it can be a double-edged sword if the jobs you’re applying for don’t have much room for actual growth either. I wonder if there's something you can say in terms of looking for a better culture fit--looking for a company that values inclusivity, a more collaborative culture along those lines depending on the job and the company. There's also something to be said for a breezy, “I’m looking for new opportunities.”

11. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's a shame we all can't be honest and you could say, "I need a new job bc I'm an amazing person full of talents. I deserve to be treated better than I am in my current office with all the homophobic insults bantered about daily. I'm worth more than to be ridiculed at work, for any reason, especially something as intrinsic as one's orientation. How much anti-gay language is normally heard in this office?"

You are amazing and deserve great treatment, a job you enjoy and are valued for you and your talents.
    It's true your current office is openly anti-gay and you're sick of it.
    You are setting a boundary that you will only work somewhere empowering to everyone.
    If they don't respect all that and see the bold leader in you, it's their unfortunate loss :slight_smile:

Tightrope and Canterpiece like this.
  12. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @Revan

- I've been at this job for five months now.

- I'm a University graduate.

- My current job is office based and I'll be searching for a job that is also office based. Preferably in the same area (graphic design).

13. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think in terms of when asked why you want to leave, I do think it important to be honest about the atmosphere. Though if it's the manager causing it, I think no harm in just saying I feel this job I've recently accepted is more in line with my goals. Now, I know it sounds like you want to leave but I would highly recommend trying to secure employment before leaving. Not always easy, I know, but just find it a much better way than leaving and having no fall-back.

As for interviews, when asked I think Aspen had a very good note. Focus on why you're looking, what appeals to you about the job you've applied to. And if they say it's similar to what you're doing, perhaps if you've done some research before about the company you could touch on what you like about them and why it appeals to you more. Heck, if the job's closer to your home you can even note that in some cases.

14. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with Chip, you don't need a detailed response to why you are quitting. Just a simple another opportunity presented itself, or a position you think you would fit in better is all you really need.

As for interviews try and get a little company background before you go in. Maybe point out something they worked on you really liked, or you heard they have a great work environment. Depending on how the interviewer acts, you could openly say that your current work environment is uncomfortable, or they are unprofessional at the office.

I'm not sure how things are over in England, but here in America I have been just brutally honest in interviews 90% of the time. I actually told one guy I was looking for a new job because my current supervisor was dumb as a box of rocks. Told one person I was just sick of doing the job I was at and wanted something different.

BiGemini87 likes this.
  15. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    FWIW, that question isn't just for the purpose of screening out difficult people. A good hiring manager wants to understand what motivates a given employee. And there are lots of reasons why people are leaving a current job that have nothing to do with them being difficult or the previous employer being a bad place to work. These can include more opportunity for advancement, different type of work, different type of work environment, benefits, such as education or healthcare, that are better for the employee, and the like.

So depending on the job and employer, and the similarities to your current job/employer, you can probably find some valuable but non-inflammatory benefits to the new employer, such as better health care or benefits, or a more interesting team of people to work with and learn from, or a product or service the company produces being of more interest to you, or looking for something that will challenge you and help you grow if the current job is no longer challenging, or any of a dozen other things.

#15 Chip, Nov 23, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2022
    BiGemini87 likes this.
  16. BiGemini87

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Basically all of this ^. If/when you receive an interview, take some time (if you haven't beforehand) to fully research the company you're seeking employment from. Find what they do better than your current job, which benefits fit your needs most, even factor in whether they're closer to where you live, or their schedule is more flexible and accommodating to your own. The more positives you can find to the position you're seeking, the more your answers will ring of truth when the interview occurs.

I hope it goes well and that you find a place that both values you as a person, and as an employee. Let us know how things go. :slight_smile:

17. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, references are definitely out of the question! My boss yelled at me today because I made mistakes in my work and unintentionally delayed a project. He asked me if I even want this job and what gives me the right to waste his time? Bridge well and truly burnt. It's a bonfire now. I'll grab the marshmallows.

18. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm sorry he responded that way and regardless of mistakes, you don't deserve to be treated that way! It's another reason to leave that pit of emotional immaturity if possible. Have you found other places you'd like to work?

Canterpiece and Mihael like this.
  19. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Fortunately, yes. I sent in my first job application today. Likely one of many, but here's hoping. One thing for certain is that I'll be leaving this place one way or another.

20. BocciBee

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your current boss sounds terrible, I hope you get to leave and find a solid job as soon as possible!

Canterpiece likes this.