1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm so tired of being gay

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by A girl, Oct 1, 2022.

1. A girl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi!
    It's been a long time since I've posted anything. The last time was in February, when I came out for the first time to my best friend. Since then, I've managed to come out to my mother, my cousin and aunt, and a couple more friends. I feel so proud of that, but I also feel like it is exhausting to keep having to come out over and over again. It takes so much courage and stress every time, and it is really stressfull to think about the fact that I'm suck with this burden forever if I want to live openly. But this is not even the worst part.

The worst part is that I feel like being gay is limiting my life in so many ways. My friends (who are all straight), are starting to be in serious relationships and finding the loves of their lives already, and here I am, stuck with being in love with girls who are not even into girls!. It is sad to think about how I will most likely not have the same opportunities for setteling down and getting a family as my other friends, and I'm afraid that I will end up all alone watching everyone I know having perfect lives.

I am aware that this might sound very childish. Nobody has a perfect life, and there are lots of lgbtq+ people that live very happy lives, but I just needed to complain a little about this and get it out of my head.

Have any of you felt like this before? And do you have any advice?

Thank you so much for reading! It means a lot to me. Have a great weekend! :slight_smile: <3

2. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh yes, everyone has passed me by in those ways and still alone, like you, I crushed on lots of "straight" people. Some you like are into girls too, they keep a guy around to appear acceptable for some. You have done the much harder things with coming out and being true to yourself which takes a lot of guts I think. Stay proud if you can and happy weekend too!

#2 mnguy, Oct 1, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2022
    A girl likes this.
  3. Searching2022

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Its great that you've come out to so many but you don't have to announce your sexuality to everyone. You can live openly by just living your life.

4. rainbow96

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    That’s a common feeling gay people have. I didn’t date girls until I was 25 even though I knew I was gay at 19. I was so scared. Now I have a wife and we still get weird looks in public. People don’t know how to react to us being together. It’s still not easy to be gay, but I am so lucky and HAPPY to have my amazing wife in my life. That’s what being gay is about: being in love!
    We got together “later” in life. I was 25 and she was 34. My point is that because you are gay, things like relationships won’t come to you in a traditional way. That used to bother me, too. I also prefer for things around me to look perfect. You’ll get used to doing things differently though. You may not have a prom date, but you’ll find the love of your life eventually, although it will probably take longer. In my case, I didn’t date ANYONE until I met my wife and we hit it off. Meanwhile, my straight friends had been dating boys since middle school. I felt so left out during that time, but now I’m happily married to my *amazing* wife and most of them are still single or dealing with f boys. I ended up better in the long-run. Don’t give up girl! Your girl is out there and she will come to you in due time (even if that timeline is different from that of your straight friends.)

A girl likes this.
  5. A girl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you so much for lovely replies! It feels good to know that I'm not alone in having these thoughts.

I know that this is true, but even though I absolutely don't feel the need to announce my sexuality to everyone, I still feel that it is really hard when topics like love and sexuality comes up in conversations with people I'm not out to yet. It is so much easier to stay silent and avoid sharing my thoughts and stories than to do this and at the same time come out to them. It just feels like such a burden to always be the gay one who has to deal with being a little on the outside all the time. I don't know if that makes sense, it is hard to explain.

Thank you so much for sharing this great, positive story! It is so upifting to feel that there might be hope for me even though I haven't dated anyone yet either. I'm 22,5 years old and have known I'm gay since I was about 18, and lately it is a bit difficult for me to see that my friends are doing so well when it comes to love, but when I read your story, it helped me to realize that, as you say, my timeline might just be a little different from the one that my friends are having. I am really hoping to have a similar experience as you, and find a girl who I love and who loves me back, at least one time in my life. I'm so tired of being in love with straight girls. It hurts so much to love someone who doesn't love you back and never will, and just considers you as a friend. I also feel that I really lack experience compared to others my age, considering that I've never been in a relationship or even kissed anyone. All I've done is to admire and have crushes on girls from afar and to hope that things will change eventually. So I guess that I should just keep hoping that my girl is out there somewhere. <3

Searching2022 likes this.
  6. Elli7

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think I have similar feeling. I am 30 years old and I never kissed a woman.
    I have only flirted with men and had one boyfriend. I am usually more attracted to women than men.
    Sorry my English ^^

7. Cinnamoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You'll find your someone. I'm gay too, and relate to almost everything you've said. Except being in love with guys, even gay guys, can be just as heartbreaking unfortunately. I've found male gay culture to be so hypersexualised that it makes me feel like love is something that I shouldn't even be allowed to feel. Even with other guys who are into guys, I've been heartbroken and rejected so many times because quantity usually matters over me. Bit of a rant of my own there I'm sorry, but you're definitely not alone in feeling alone.

I'm also kind of scared to come out. Some of my family knows, and some of my online friends know, but I don't have any in person friends to come out to, and when I was in school they were either religious or kind of closed minded so I never came out to them either. I'd love to come out to my last remaining grandparent, who's well into her 80s, but honestly being as single and lonely as I am, sometimes I wonder if telling my family about my sexuality will make any difference at all. A part of me has been waiting to enter some kind of relationship so I have a reason to tell my nan I'm gay, but honestly I don't know if that's ever going to happen at this point. I'm tired of falling for people who don't know I exist myself.

So you're not alone at all. This forum is always here, people like you and me are out there. Being gay does make it harder, whatever your gender. I guess personally I feel like the male gay world can be especially cruel, but that might just be my experience of things and not actually true. I'm so sorry though, I know that almost physical pain of loneliness all too well. The feeling that nothing will ever change, nobody will ever care back the same way you care about them. That you're never going to be someone's first choice. I believe both you and me will find our person, unfortunately it's not an easy journey there though.

But hey, I'm 24.5 so you've got two years on me. Who knows, by the time you're my age you might be in the perfect relationship, you seem like a kind and caring person so I don't see any reason why not =P

And if you're not, you're not. That's okay too. Other people should be a bonus, not the missing parts of ourselves, as romantic as that ideal might seem. We need to be okay alone before we can find a balanced relationship. And relationships take time, and effort, and heartache. Sorry I'm lecturing, and being patronising, and rambling, but this kind of loneliness hits so close to home for me that it's hard not to.

Rayland, A girl and mnguy like this.
  8. A girl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for sharing! Your English is good in my opinion. It is not my first language either:slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing! It helps so much to know that I'm not alone in being alone. And thanks for being optimistic and thinking that we will find our people eventually.
    I know that other people should be a bonus and not the missing parts of ourselves, and I am thriving very well in my own company, but it would have been nice to experience what it is like to have someone care about me in that way, at least once in my life. It seems so nice! But if I end up all alone that is okay too. Maybe I should just give up and focus even more on friendships and being a good person. Filling my life with some meaning other than starting a family with a person I love. I am studying to become a teacher in a few years, so maybe that and trying to be kind to everyone is my meaning in life. In some ways I wish there would be more focus on people who spend their lives alone and thrive with it, and not so much focus on how a family and a partner is almost the only thing that can give us meaningfull, happy lives. Does that make sense?
    Anyway, I'm sad to hear that you are struggeling with the same things as me, I know the loneliness all too well. And I don't really have any friends I can talk to about it. I could try telling my straight best friend, but I have a feeling that she wouldn't understand, because she has already found the love of her life, who I'm sure she's going to marry and start a family with in a few years. But maybe I should try telling her anyway, just to get some encouraging and comforting words. I wish I had some friends in the lgbtq+ community, I have a feeling that they would understand these thoughts better

Cinnamoon likes this.
  9. Cinnamoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's okay! Being optimistic isn't always easy of course, but I try.

To be honest, as much as I'd like to be cared for that way too, I could use some stronger friendships myself first. I chat to a few people, but I'm still not totally used to the idea of having friends. But someone told me recently that they wish they'd focused more on having friends in their 20s than on having just one partner. Obviously different kinds of relationships work for different people, but I can see what they mean. I know what you mean about trying to be kind and focusing on a goal though. I don't know exactly what I want to do with my life, but I do know I want to do something that helps people. And part of the reason I like this site is that offering other people support, as useless as it may be at times, makes me feel better too.

And yeah that makes total sense. Friends are important too, personal growth with or without people is so important, and I think kindness and giving back are so important and often underrated things too.

I'm sorry you don't have many people you can talk to about it. As useless as I can be, I hope me and others here have helped you a bit! But just because your best friend has found someone, it doesn't mean she won't know what it's like to be alone. If you don't feel comfortable talking to her there are always people you can talk to here, but even if she doesn't understand directly what it's like, and she might, if she cares about you as a friend which it sounds like she definitely does then she will be there to listen and support you at least.

I wish I had more LGBTQ+ friends too. I have people I get on with and chat to, but I find it hard to put myself out there and it's difficult not to put some kind of walls up between me and other people. I think the lack of friends makes me more lonely than the lack of a partner, although don't get me wrong I'd love both.

Sorry for talking about myself so much! I guess maybe sharing my experience will hopefully let you know what it's like for someone else going through something similar, if that makes sense.

A girl likes this.
  10. BiGemini87

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry you're going through this. I understand a bit of how you're feeling; about perpetually having to come out to people in order to live an honest, open life. Though coming out sometimes gets easier with time, it can also become more stressful and anxiety-inducing, especially when you don't know what kind of reply to expect.

It's okay if you just need to vent--EC is here to help everyone work through their feelings and to allow others to help give insight when it's needed. But sometimes it's equally as important to get those feelings off our chest sans advice. So all I will say is this: don't give up hope. It might seem hopeless, it might seem like you'll never have someone or that you're lagging behind everyone else, but you will and you aren't; there's no set time in which we're all meant to find our partners, or have kids, or have a stable career, or any of that--these things are as varied as we are. You're in competition with no one else, and nor do your experiences and goals need to mirror others'.

Just focus on you and what makes you happy. :slight_smile:

A girl likes this.
  11. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's doable like you said with meaning, healthy connections and solid mental health. The meaning and connections usually boost mental health, unless one is so far down and leaving home is a struggle. It can be super tough. Not a pro, just my experience how one thing can compound on the other and be such a heavy burden. Sounds like you're going in the right direction and with all that activity you'll likely meet some great people!

A girl likes this.
  12. A girl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks a lot for your replies. It helps so much to know that I'm not alone with these thoughts even though I feel so alone at times. I hope that I will get used to and learn to live with these thoughts without them feeling so overwhelming and negative

Cinnamoon likes this.