1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Queen Elizabeth has passed away

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by GayRoachGal, Sep 8, 2022.

1. GayRoachGal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    RIP to our queen, she was 96 years young and ruled for 70 years, may she rest peacefully

2. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Britain feels very odd tonight.

I'm not a monarchist. Indeed, I think the concept of a hereditary monarch is a ridiculous one in the 21st Century, but the queen was a class act.

QE2 - respect is due. RIP.

3. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It strikes me as odd that the world stops to pay respects to a white monarch, while still ignoring massives amounts of people who die because of prejudice, hunger, racism, wars and poverty.

I'm not saying we should disrespect her, but bowing down to kings and queens is certainly not my cup of tea.

4. GayRoachGal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    i met the queen when i was just 3 years old which is why it really affects me more then others

5. Haruto

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh, no! Rest in Peace, queen elizabeth!

6. JayeJJimenez

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Long live the Queen. And long live the King now.

7. Prisma

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's sad for me. She was the same age my grandma is now and she's alive. If she can go, I know my grandma can anytime too. And they are both the same age Marilyn Monroe would be had she lived on.

8. GayRoachGal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    i
    only just realised you live in Britain! the news must have affected you so much, I mean, she was around way before many of us were born after all! my best friend's mother is British and friends with my mum, who told me she was up all night after hearing the news, it is so sad seeing someone like Elizabeth go, she was such a powerful woman, I had the pleasure of speaking to her almost 12 years ago, at that time I didn't really have any clue about how important that was, as I was only 2 or 3 at the time but now that I think back to it, really only a small handful of the population has had the chance to meet her let alone give her flowers as I did, which I why I wanted to cry most of today( still do though).
    hope its not to hard for you

9. GayRoachGal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can understand why you might say this, I met the queen when I was little which is why it affected me so much and also why i decided to make a post

10. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No problem! This is just my personal opinion, but I know there are different feelings about this. :slight_smile:

11. Cinnamoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    She defined an era. I was much sadder than I thought I'd be, I thought I'd be sad but I was almost tearful. Most of us have never known another monarch, and she was just always there. Her being gone will take a lot of time to get used to, and for me personally I'll always think of her as head of state, even though she's no longer with us. She was Queen for the first quarter century of my entire life, that has meaning for me.

12. GayRoachGal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    exactly! i met her when I was 3 years ago and yesterday there I was wondering why no one was sad about her, I couldn't do school work because I was so upset, I just wanted to cry all day and even now I'm still processing it all

13. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    For those of us living in the UK she was ever-present (every time we pay for something we see her face) and yet unknowable. It's rather like if you live near a natural landmark, a hill or mountain, and one day you find that it's suddenly not there.

There are also deeper implications. Twelve years of Tory rule and Brexit have driven the country to the verge of break-up. The Queen - and appreciation of the superb job she did - was one of the few things that bound the constituent parts of the UK together. So what happens now?

Beth

#13 chicodeoro, Sep 10, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2022
  14. GayRoachGal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    yeah, here in aus whenever we pay for things we see her face too, its not going to be easy getting used to a king on the currency if he ends up on it, it'll be so strange!, the other day I found a coin with the queen on it for maybe this year or the last and I wanted to cry because that may be one of the last coins with the queens face on it produced, its really sad

15. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not crying, but I'm also not totally unaware of the impact she's had.
    It's definitely a notable time to behold, with the transferring of powers and all that's going on while her casket gets transferred. And the person inside has done a lot of good and a lot of bad over the several decades that she reigned for. It's not much of a surprise to see such a mixed reaction worldwide.

That said, I am acutely aware that as someone born and raised in the US with most of my ancestry coming from Ireland, that I am under no obligation to hold the monarchy as an institution with exaltation. That includes the late queen. I can empathize with Charles III as someone who's lost their mother, but that is about as far as it goes for me. It will certainly be interesting to see how things shake up from here, considering how long the queen reigned for, and that most of the political power belongs to Liz Truss.

16. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have to respect all the responsibility she bore and for so long. I know it's not all pretty if allowed to see the full scoop, but she was wired fairly strong. I agree. She was a class act.

In the U.S., we can't really relate to all the pomp and circumstance of how things are done among royalty in the U.K., so it's interesting to watch it unfold and maybe even understand it a little better.

Things have changed so much and the royals have had more "modern" drama among their ranks, so it's not likely we'll see something like her reign again. It will be a different scenario and more likely reflect today's times.

#16 Tightrope, Sep 17, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2022