1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deeply ashamed of having liked someone that is straight

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by CL1990, Jun 22, 2022.

1. CL1990

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    i fancied someone at work who never revealed their sexual orientation but i mentioned i wasnt straight. Now looking back at the whole thing i kind of feel torn between wanting to have tried a bit harder for them to realize i fancied them and feeling completely ashamed of myself for have even let myself go there and how she must have known that i fancied her.. I feel like im experiencing a lot of self hate and shame because of it of even allowing myself to like someone when i didnt even know if they were compatible in that way!

lottaotter likes this.
  2. bsg75apollo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I once had a crush on a straight coworker.I knew that nothing would happen, but I never felt shame for it. It just happened.

3. Really

Hey,

Don’t be so hard on yourself. You can’t control who you develop an attraction to. They just have that something about them. It takes quite a bit of boldness to act on our feelings and you did great by saying you weren’t straight! Give yourself credit for that because that’s huge. There’s no way to tell whether she also wanted to say that but wasn’t yet bold enough herself. Nobody’s fault. But you’ve done it once and could do it again and maybe more next time. I’d count this as win. Small as it seems, it’s still a win. Be proud of yourself. :}

mlansing, TinyWerewolf and CL1990 like this.
  4. CL1990

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    this is very kind! thanks so much for taking the time to message

5. bambibat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know how hard that is. We can’t really help it when we catch feelings for people and many times (especially for same-sex attracted people) it likely will be on those who aren’t compatible. But there’s nothing to be ashamed about. It’s perfectly natural, and your brain can’t just switch off the emotions when finding out/thinking someone is straight. Plus I think it takes courage to display even the smallest hint that you like someone! Don’t feel ashamed for being true to yourself.

CL1990 likes this.
  6. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey as the others have said dont be too hard on yourself, you like who you like. Nothing wrong with mentioning you arent straight whether you like her or not. You didnt do anything bad or embarrassing it is just one of those things. Be kind to yourself.

CL1990 likes this.
  7. Plato

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It sounds like that person was probably trying to play mind games, especially when they didn’t reveal their sexuality after you mentioned you’re not straight. I’m glad you didn’t try harder.

8. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi @CL1990,

I definitely don’t think that you should be ashamed for reaching out to another human being. Even though it appears that she didn’t accept your advances, at least you tried. I think you should still view it as a personal victory. After all, you overcame your shyness and reluctance to reach out. In the longrun, that is the only way you will be able to make a connection with a significant other.

Maybe be there are lessons you can learn from the way you approached her that can guide you towards a different approach next time. Or, perhaps not. But at least you had the courage to reach out this time. And that means you can do it again.

You certainly have my respect for making the move to go for what you want.

QR

CL1990 likes this.
  9. lottaotter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think you should be ashamed- in fact I'm proud of you. I've asked out a guy before who turned out to be straight. It's not talked about very much how something so human as talking to someone we're attracted to carries so much more 'risk' for LGBTQ people, so I think what you did was brave, actually!

This advice is rich coming from me, because I struggle with absorbing societal shame like a sponge too, but you haven't done anything wrong-if she's offended then that's on her. She's an adult.

Hope you're doing OK. X

PrettyBoyBlue and CL1990 like this.
  10. mlansing

No need to feel ashamed, imo. Liking/loving someone is a beautiful thing. I was in love with a guy who did not treat me well, and we are not together anymore, and although I know for certain I don’t want to be with him I was happy to have fallen in love again because it doesn’t happen for me often. I would simply view it as a sign of a healthy heart that knows how to love.

Prisma likes this.
  11. Prisma

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think you're brave too. I confessed to a best friend years ago that I had fallen in love with her. She loves me but not in that way. Nothing was weird between us afterwards. Anyway, it was good and freeing for me to do this--confess my love. I tried. And this was very much not the norm for me. It reflects on you that you are loving person and not afraid to express yourself. The person you love will be lucky to receive your love.

mlansing likes this.
  12. BiGemini87

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As the others have said, try not to be so hard on yourself. We can't help who we develop feelings for; all we can control is our actions in relation to those feelings, and nothing you did (by telling them) was wrong. You took a chance to see if maybe they reciprocated and that's courageous. I can't say whether this person didn't reciprocate or if they merely need time to sort things out (perhaps they didn't understand what you were trying to tell them), but there's certainly nothing to be ashamed of.

Easier said than done, I know. But with enough time and effort, you'll get there.