1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heartstopper

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Out late, May 2, 2022.

1. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I like the fact its based around LGBT characters and not like other shows that act like look we added a LGBT character were a ally.

I'mStillStanding likes this.
  2. I'mStillStanding

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love how it is awkward and chaotic and sweet and innocent and all… it really reminds me of when I was in school… it’s like mentioned other… it’s not some super partying and sexualized being gay young… it’s just normal! And the actors are age appropriate… they aren’t 30 year olds playing a 15 year old! If just works…

HM03 and Isbjorn like this.
  3. Isbjorn

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I read the comic first, then watched the season with my wife. Man I wish it was like that when I was in school. Yes, there were bullies in the show, but NOTHING like when I was in school. When I was in school picking on a lgbt kid would not have been necessarily considered bullying. More along the lines of self (peer) correction of unwanted behavior. It was rough enough for me to completely suppress the male attraction side of my bisexuality and only date girls, convincing myself that my attraction to boys as well as girls was only a phase.

I was so glad to see a character like Nick in the show. I really could identify with him. They did a really good job representing a bisexual point of view. So much so, it actually helped open my wife's eyes a bit about me. It is one of the things we struggle with in our counseling, is me trying to get her to understand what bisexuality means. How in some ways it is even more confusing growing up that way and finding your way because there is not a "single" way to identify.

Anyway, this is a great show and another leap toward an even more accepting world. There is still a LONG way to go, but we are closer than we have ever been in my half century lifetime.

I'mStillStanding likes this.