1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Banning Conversion Therapy (United Kingdom)

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by PatrickUK, Oct 30, 2021.

1. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The British Government has launched a public consultation before it brings forward legislation to ban conversion therapy.

IF you are a UK member who feels strongly about this issue, please respond to the consultation using your own words. Address the governments proposals directly and add additional comments of your own, but do not copy/paste a response as it will be discounted.

Respond here:
    https://equalityhub.citizenspace.com/government-equalities-office/banning-conversion-therapy/

2. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ahhhhh, I am a Yank so I cannot respond. Damnnnnnnnnn!

Being a Conversion Therapy victim, lately I've put a little thought into the term Conversion Therapy and the practice. First, the term Conversion Therapy is a term homophones use to portray they care about LGBT people and they are trying to help them. This is akin to the Nazi's letting in Red Cross inspection teams into certain camps only to show how well they (the Nazi's) treat prisoners and Jews. LGBT people are not treated well in alleged Conversion Therapy realms, prisoners & Jewish people were not treated well in "the camps".

There is no conversion. Conversion is impossible. And there is no therapy, only torture.

In summary. Impossible and torture. Get it?

3. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Adding to brainwashed post, The trama dosent always leave scars that can be seen. The mental burdens incured take can take a long, long time to unlearn.

4. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's my theory that one does not unlearn what is done to you (a person) in conversion therapy. You learn to park it and not let it bother you. You find and learn better things and move on. You learn to reflect on what was/is done to you and rationally say, oh yes that was bad and wrong but I'm a person who is going to help others to fight that type of wrong.

My comment above is not a fly off the cuff comment. I've actually put a bit of thought and research into this. I very carefully listen to comments from WW2 Holocaust survivor's. I see many parallels between what Holocaust survivors went through and what I went through in conversion therapy. Ex: a) the 10-12 year old boy said the Nazi's would get the inhabitants of the barracks up at night, march everyone outside into the cold and make them stand in a line in the dead of night for hours. The man who was recounting this story then added, "you were not your own person." Bingo. I was not my own person in conversion therapy.

b) Running away from the conversion therapy facility got you chased down like a wild dog, captured, brought back and beat up. Kind of the same for Holocaust survivors except generally escapes were generally shot in the forest where they were captured.

I use Holocaust material because it easy to get stores, generally accurate, and reflective, like the man saying, "you were not your own person'.

5. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I call it part of "the storm." Most of the time I can control it. Sometimes it just is overwhelming.

6. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Wishing I was from the UK just to sign this.

They called it 'therapy' and thus they are pretending to justify inhuman treatment to not only adults, but children and teenagers. So much for those 'trying to protect our little ones'. It is deceiving calling what they do a 'therapy'. Please attack the problem from that perspective too - They are deceiving people. And getting paid for it. In other words - A scam.

What they do there is traumatizing. Of course it should be illegal.
    Plain and simple, it trashes their Human Rights. Children and teenagers have Human Rights too. They are being forced by parents, which complicates even more the consequences long term - They'll have trust issues for life.

Not to dismiss what those camps do to adults, but what enrages me the most is what they do to fully defenceless people. They are trapped.

7. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Another big elephant in the room can be why those who have seen and even read about a LOT of evidence that it doesn't work keep pushing it. Denial much?

8. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here's my thoughts. There is this underlying "force" within a person. It's a primal force. We in our everyday modern world, desire to control this force. But there are times when this force needs to be released. Take up meditation with a group. Try yoga. Do something to relax. And yes therapy with a good therapist, good therapist are actually hard to come by you know, to tease the force out of ya.

9. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Anybody who has watched Pray Away on Netflix will realise that conversion therapy (or whatever they wish to dress it up as) is a load of hokum. Nobody is ever converted. It's harmful and dangerous and should be banned - completely.

10. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The first time I heard about this therapy is through this forum. I haven't had the chance to watch Pray Away yet (kinda scared to watch it), but it's on my list. I agree with Patrick though.

Also the name conversion therapy is something that sends, at least to me, warning signals into my mind. I mean how can you change someone's soul? I have read a little bit about it and there is no reliable evidence, that the sexual orientation can be changed. You can only repress it and that's harmful for the persons mental state and well being.

I'm glad that UK is banning it.

11. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well not banning yet, but at least, they are trying to get it banned.

12. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all