1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Physical appearance issues (the bane of my existence)

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by GazesToClouds, Nov 8, 2021.

1. GazesToClouds

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So for a (very) long time, majority of my life i have not liked at some points hated the way that i look, im pretty short (162cm-ish) im also built pretty slim i only weigh about 50kg-53kg ish (my scales are kinda broken and arent super consistent) due to my heritage i also am covered in freckles. Also due to my medical history (childhood cancer) my growth got all screwed up from the treatment (chemo, fullbody radiation and a bone-marrow transplant) so i still look quite "childlike" much to my dismay, and when people mention it that does WONDERS for my mental state. I loath the way i look, and its not like i want to be super jacked or anything like that, i just want to be happy with myself and that would be enough for me. I dont know if its my body type, what i wear or just how i look and style myself but whenever i look in a mirror it just makes me sad because im never happy with who i see looking back.

I recently got my ears pierced and that was a big thing for me and made me very happy (one of the few things im happy with) Im trying to grow my lovely brown hair out because im sick of having short hair because it makes me look like a child (my parents always insisted on short hair up until about 8 months ago maybe, i just put my foot down) I am pretty interested in showing a bit more femininity as i am by no means a masculine dude, i like pink, shiny things and unicorns :grin:

I recently bought some skin tight sports leggings which i LOVE but i am quite self conscious about wearing them in public, especially since my friends arent the most supportive bunch as they are pretty "standard males" (if you know what i mean, they are averse to change) and dont know im queer? (not certain on a label yet) so its hard for me to confide in them and ask for help with this as they are all typical straight dudes.

I really hate most of my clothing at the moment as its just all so large on me because im so small even though its all small or extra small mens, i have one shirt that i really like and thats because its a women's (which i didnt know at the time) but it fits pretty good except for the fact i have a decidedly smaller chest than most women (for obvious reasons).

There are things id love to be able to look into like getting my nails done, makeup, waxing, even just finding nice cloths that "fit" me (physically and emotionally) but as i still live at home with parents thats a little difficult as they are quite old fashioned (boys dress like boys, girls dress like girls there is no in-between) I couldnt even imagine the conversation if i came home with something that could be easily considered not "mens clothes". They (friends or family) just dont understand me on a fundamental level and im not ready to get into that yet as im not even certain of myself yet. So in the mean time i just wanna focus on something less "involved", so i landed at worrying about how i look.

Oh and it doesnt help that im a hopeless introvert, because life had to make things extra difficult for me.

So id be happy to hear any advice if you have some <3

P.s. In case it was left ambiguous no im not trans just a feminine guy :slight_smile:

#1 GazesToClouds, Nov 8, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
  2. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Are you actually eating and exercising to gain? You didn't say anything about this in your post, so I'm just wondering what you have tried so far in order to try to change your weight and body shape. I fully appreciate that you don't want to become really bulky and get super jacked, but have you looked into a diet and exercise/weigh training regime that would help you to attain and maintain your goals?

Also, have you spoken to a doctor about any of this? If the cancer treatment has upset your development there may be things that can be done, especially if it's causing emotional distress.

3. GazesToClouds

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I suppose there in lies one of my larger problems, i dont eat much. Thinking about it its probably some psychological issue that stems from trauma or habit from my treatment days as i used to be highly nauseous in the mornings so i struggle to eat before midday-ish, and even then i eat very little. Some days i eat maybe one thing the whole day, i know its not healthy i just cant make myself eat.

As for exercise i try to do calisthenics as often as i can because i cant go to a gym (too anxious for that as my local gym is pretty full on and curated to hardcore bodybuilding) but i struggle alot as im very inflexible and my muscles (specifically in my legs) are quite short in the back which makes things quite difficult sometimes. I have thought about getting some home gym stuff but i really wouldnt know where to start.

As for doctors no i havent really, i uh struggle to actually voice my thoughts and needs. I know it seems silly not to talk to a doctor about health things but most of my doctors i cant just go and see as they are so busy. There might be one i could ask who might give me some time, but id have to think about that

4. xerixio

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I can 100% relate. As someone who naturally has a crapton of body hair and can't remove it due to blatant homophobic parents, I know how it feels. You just gotta do you, and to heck with what they think about you!

GazesToClouds likes this.
  5. Dev226

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you're looking to gain a bit of muscle/ strength, but don't want to invest into a complete home gym, a couple of things you should look into are: a good set of adjustable dumbbells and a bench. That way you can add a bit of weight training to your workout regimen. As far as the eating thing, I suggest making a simple protein shake in the morning and maybe taking a multivitamin to make sure you get the proper nutrients. It's what I started to do in the mornings when I began suffering from anxiety and couldn't eat a lot.

When it comes to addressing your overall health, I definitely agree with Patrick, talking to a doctor about this could really help. They can check if you have some kind of hormone imbalance caused by the cancer treatment and determine if you need some physio for your flexibility. But, be as honest and open with them as you can be, they can't help treat something if they don't know what to look for.
    And don't put your mental health aside, I learned that one the hard way. Reach out and talk to people, maybe look for a counselor who specializes in body dysmorphia. They can help you be more confident with who you are, and teach you how to cope with intrusive thoughts.

6. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    GazesToClouds.....I agree with everyone who has said that you need to talk to a doctor. I think that should be the first step in a program to improve your self-image and to just flat out improve yourself! Changing what and how much you eat should be next. Then you need, as others have said, some kind of work-out program. There is a guy on youtube that does really great workout videos. He shows how to do workouts at home basically without any expensive equipment. Check him out, his name is Hampton and his channel is Hybrid Calisthenics
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

7. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Persistent poor self image could be a sign of dysmorphia or just an unhealthy level of low esteem/distorted perception
    Not sure of your age but if you are still quite young your body will change on its own
    I took up free weights in the gym quite late in life and it made an immense difference to my shape and self confidence (since obscured by lockdown pounds sadly)

8. GazesToClouds

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you everyone for your replies, sorry i haven't responded until now i have been a bit preoccupied, over the Christmas holidays i have gotten some home gym equipment and have been doing some work every day or so and have been feeling pretty good about it, i have also planned to get a gym membership at the same gym as a few of my buddies so we can go together after work which im looking forward to as i will be able to have someone to spur me on which i think will be helpful for me to keep at it (and seeing my friends on a more regular basis will also be nice). My hair is getting longish now which i like very much. And finally the only thing i havent really looked into is a proper diet but as i havent started at the gym yet im not overly concerned about it so far

9. GazesToClouds

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh and lastly i havent seen a doctor yet as there has been a Covid boom here where i live so ive tried to avoid going out to places as much as possible, but its certainly on my to do list

10. calmac

calmac Guest

I was a fit person most of my life and didn't really think of my appearance. Then I started to grow older and developed some chronic health issues that impact my ability to engage in the activities that I once enjoyed. I tried a physical trainer to help me get healthier but it didn't work because they really didn't appreciate incorporating my health limitations with a work out program. Then I discover the Faculty of Kinesiology at our local university. The staff in the work out areas are trained personal trainers with knowledge about health, physiology etc. I was assessed and had a program developed for me and then I was able to make some progress. I felt more hopeful as there was a way to better health even if it was not where I once was.

Given that you have had some health issues in the past it might be helpful to get an assessment. It cost a bit of money but was well worth it.

The added benefit was working out at the university gym with all the athletes! There are some very handsome men at the university!

11. GazesToClouds

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ive never even heard of Kinesiology before. So is it kinda just like a more tailored personal trainer kinda thing? So can make it so suit your physical boundaries, less of a one type fits all and more personal?

(also cute gym guys is definitely a bonus OwO)

12. calmac

calmac Guest

The faculty doesn't train personal trainers per se but graduates of the program might become personal trainers. My trainer is a graduate of the program and she helped with a lot of issues that I had related to working out now that I have limitations. Kinesiology used be known as the Physical Education faculty but as their program incorporates biology (they do body disections as part of their training) and more the science of physical movement and health. Consequently the graduates seem to have a better understanding of movement, our bodies, and adapting physical activities to what we bring. I was in a group of people who are considered disabled and due to my heart and diabetes they considered me as disabled. It was a great experience.

It might be something to check out.