1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Still no progress in finding love. Should I just let go of life?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by LonelyEyesMark, Oct 23, 2021.

1. LonelyEyesMark

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I still haven’t made any progress in finding love. I’ve joined social groups but they never go my way in regards to meeting women. It makes me feel like there are no options for me and I should just let go of my life. :frowning2:

2. Fiender

Love is not the only source of joy in life. <- This, first and foremost. Before reading on, you really need to contemplate this. It can suck not having this one thing that is so hyped up, but it. Is. Not. Everything.

Okay? Okay.

It's worth noting, I feel, that in actively seeking a partner, or even just dates here or there, you could be putting others off and actually ruining your chances. Most of the time, these connections need to happen naturally. Most people meet their significant others through mutual friends, or work, or whatever, so I understand joining social groups in an attempt to increase the odds of this happening for you. That said, even if someone is single, that doesn't mean they're looking to be pursued romantically. Lots of people have an "if it happens, it happens" attitude with romance and dating. And even if you did find this sort of urgent connection, it would likely not last. One or both of you wouldn't have your heart in it, and it would end, possibly very painfully.

3. LonelyEyesMark

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I forgot to mention I am 33 years old and also on the autism spectrum.

4. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Have you tried Internet dating, Mark?

I met my wonderful (late) partner on there. I know others who have found love this way. I found it easier that waiting for something to happen 'naturally'. Both parties know what they ultimately want to find, and at the very least you get a whole load of interesting experiences/ funny stories out of it.

5. Obliteratrix47

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Don't give up! Finding the one who can love you takes time. There are many options you can meet someone.

6. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It can be tough out there in the dating world, especially if you feel you are not good enough to date anybody, because you feel like you don't stand a chance.

I don't think you should give up, because the world is very wide and you are not old either. There will be plenty of opportunities for you. You never know who might come your way in the future.

It's good to simply be sociable and do things that you enjoy, this way you expand your social circle too and you just might stumble upon a right person for you.

Don't give up for something like not being able to find love. It can get lonely, being by yourself for sure, but there is surely someone out there for you.

I wish you the best of luck at your search. Remember you deserve being happy. Don't take that chance away from yourself.

7. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Like @Fiender said, romantic love is only a part of the joys of being human. I understand that being single can be frustrating and lonely, but it isn't the sole point in living.

Dating apps/sites/speed dating/dating events etc may help your search as they are a bit more specific than a general social group, but people on there can be a bit rude and shallow.

It sounds lame, but if you haven't already, it may be worth focusing and expanding on your passions, hobbies and platonic/familial relationships for a source of happiness :slight_smile:

#7 HM03, Oct 24, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
  8. LonelyEyesMark

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I made dating profiles and I was met with foot dragging and ghosting on every site/app I used. The last time I used it, someone said they wanted to meet me even though they had no money. Their profile then disappeared from #######. I was so exasperated that right then and there, I swore off ever using dating sites ever again. Whatever it takes to succeed on them, I don’t have.

#8 LonelyEyesMark, Oct 25, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
  9. Obliteratrix47

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You will find one, don't worry. Just try to be patient.

10. LonelyEyesMark

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really hope you are right. I wonder if attending a non-alcoholic bar in Austin will be the place I will meet a cute nerdy/geeky girl after being denied love for so long. If not, I feel like all options will be exhausted. I am the only one of five siblings who isn’t married and has children. I know they don’t have autism but it still hurts that they succeeded and I did not.

#10 LonelyEyesMark, Oct 25, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2021
  11. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    That can happen, yes. But I think success on these sites requires persistence (and honesty and a light-hearted approach). Also...don't use the free ones. To get results I think you have to pay - generally the free ones have far more time-wasters on them.

12. Obliteratrix47

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    And you will succeed. Remember what I told you.

#12 Obliteratrix47, Oct 26, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2021
  13. BiGemini87

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @LonelyEyesMark I know it can be so discouraging when you're trying to put yourself out there and you're met with silence/lack of interest. But I promise you, there's more to life than romantic love alone. It sounds to me like there are other areas of life you could focus on improving so that when you're ready to find someone, you'll do it with confidence (and that confidence, in turn will attract the right kinds of people).

Or perhaps it isn't so much that you need to work through a lot else, but that you need to temper your expectations a bit. Maybe try entering into friendship first, then building from there. :slight_smile: Dating apps can work wonders at times, but it can take a long time to find someone that matches you in the ways that most matter.

14. LonelyEyesMark

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I ever do change my mind on using them, I want to live in a place like Austin if it happens. I’ve given up on the city I live in because I just don’t mesh with the general culture. It’s very superficially religious (Especially towards Protestantism), sports oriented, anti-geek/nerd, anti-intellectual, aggressive, and Walmart loving.

15. LonelyEyesMark

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Making friends is another problem for me. It’s related to my above post. People in my age range tend to dislike and even mock what I enjoy while the 20’s crowd likes the same things but apparently I can’t hang out with them. :frowning2:

16. LonelyEyesMark

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really want to be the under dog or dark horse that proved his naysayers wrong. I don’t want the bullies who told me I am a “loser” and will “never get laid” (Though I have proved them wrong on that that.) to celebrate.

17. LonelyEyesMark

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I’ve actually had people tell me they don’t want me to have a relationship because I am either “too messed up” or that I should just seek hook ups. The first claim is unfair and the second is just ridiculous because how I can that even happen for me when I can’t even get a coffee date?

18. Obliteratrix47

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow. I can't believe people would even tell you that. You're not too messed up or a loser, those people need to take a look at themselves. Pathetic move of them. There are many autistic people who are in successful relationships. If you could find someone, who's also autistic, I believe you two will share something in common.

Rayland likes this.
  19. LonelyEyesMark

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I never thought it would ever happen but I attended an adult level Halloween party on Friday night. There was no pressure to drink or smoke which is always the case in parties in the culture I live in. It was nice seeing cute nerdy/geeky girls getting their freak on in witch costumes and I even got to dance with some of them.

#19 LonelyEyesMark, Oct 31, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2021
    Obliteratrix47 and Rayland like this.
  20. Obliteratrix47

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Did you have the chance to talk to one?