1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out at 34

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Cocoroni, Oct 23, 2021.

1. Cocoroni

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I’m a 34 year old lesbian and I’ve finally decided to be open about who I am. I regret not doing it much sooner. I spent decades fighting who I am, and it has done nothing but keep me from my full potential. Looking for any advice or insight from people who have come out later in life.

2. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hello Cocoroni, First, don't have regrets, comming out at any age takes a lot of courage and everyone has their own time. I was 46 and it took all I could muster. The good news is that you are on your way to becomming your authentic self, what could be better and more empowering? You took the first step, you are here, and among good people to answer any question or questions you may have on your journey.

Also, check out any local LGBT+ Centers.

Best Wishes
    Dean

#2 johndeere3020, Oct 23, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2021
    Drizzle and Kyrielles like this.
  3. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi @Cocoroni and welcome to EC! :slight_smile:

It’s great that you have decided to live more authentically. Well done on all your progress so far!

Don’t beat yourself up about not doing it sooner. You’re not alone in struggling with your sexuality and taking time to come to terms with it. I didn’t realise that I was a lesbian until my late twenties.

EC is a friendly forum and you’re welcome to ask any questions about the particular things that you would like advice on. I hope that you enjoy being part of the EC community.

4. Kyrielles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Only advice I have is to be yourself and do ultimately what makes you happy. Congrats and good luck on your journey.

BiGemini87 and FireFox like this.
  5. BiGemini87

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC, @Cocoroni!

I know it's hard not to, but try not to beat yourself up over it. Sometimes, we don't have the privilege of coming out or even knowing that we need to come out until later in life. I didn't come out as bisexual until 2 1/2 years ago (I'm 34 now, as well.) There are many reasons that contribute to someone remaining closeted/unaware of their lack of straightness, and coming out later is nothing to be ashamed of.

Be proud of the progress you've made in understanding yourself better now--that is a huge accomplishment. If you have a read around this sub-forum, you'll find many individuals who have experiences similar to yours; that can be just the balm you need to soothe your frustrations over having not done it sooner.

If you need anything, don't hesitate to reach out to a member of the EC staff. We're here to help and to ensure you feel safe and welcomed in the community. :slight_smile:

6. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Cocoroni.....Hello and a great big LGBTQIA+ welcome to Empty Closets! :old_smile: Don't give yourself a hard time about coming out at 34...I came out here on Empty Closets in 2014 when I was 64! :old_eek: What is important is that you did finally accept who you really are! That will make a big difference in your life...it did for me! There are a number of sub-forums here on EC...why don't you check them out and then feel free to join in the conversations! This is a community of loving, caring and very supportive people and we will do our best to help you blend into the community. You can ask questions in any of the Sub-forums by creating a new thread or by joining in a conversation-thread that is already going. You can also post a message on anyone's Profile Page after you have made at least ten posts yourself. If you have a question that is somewhat private you can always send a Private Message to any Staff Member. Normally Private Messages can only be exchanged between two Full Members, but a PM to a Staff Member is an exception. :old_wink: We are so glad that you have found us here on Empty Closets! :old_big_grin:
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

7. Ayla22x

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello there,
    It's brave of you to come out on here and outside world, well done you! Age, don't mean anything us humans can come out as any sexuality at time and you seem you kept it until now and that's perfectly okay, well done for not rushing and making yourself stress. fighting yourself or who you wanted to be hard, we're here to support you so hope to see you around. Hugs

- Ayla x

8. R3TR0

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yesss!! Congratulations! Doesn’t it feel like a weight has been lifted? - Sending lots of love! ❤️❤️