1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does dysphoria get worse after realizing you're transgender?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by ahundredpennies, Sep 30, 2021.

1. ahundredpennies

I am wondering what people's experience is with dysphoria before and after discovering they're transgender. I feel like sometimes it's worse because I know I'll never escape the body I was born in, so to speak.

2. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I do not identify as transgender but I am a woman who was assigned male at birth. I knew that I was a girl very early on so it was not so much discovering who I am but realizing that transition was a possible option. Once I had accepted that it was something that I could do then yes the discomfort over having to pretend that I was male did get worse. Starting hormones and dressing part time helped a little. What really helped greatly was starting to live full time as my true self.

Lemony likes this.
  3. Katelyn93

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I had that happen to me. I used to say I didn't have dysphoria, I had things about me I didn't like and envy of women but I didn't see it as what it was because it was not as intense, because I didn't know you could do anything about it and I didn't know better. When I accepted I was trans and started experimenting I realized just how far away I was from who I felt I wanted and should be. Like my body obviously doesn't look too out of place in mens clothing, I was just not happy and felt the bland and boring and sort of depressing feeling regarding it was normal, then I dress up and I feel excited and I like it until My shoulders and rectangular torso and chest hair starts stealing my attention. It killed my mood. Even after I changed back that disappointment still lasts. Damenwoth makeup and my facial features and working with my hair and my giant feet and thenbmy voice started being a thing and suddenly I knew playing the masculine role was never my thing but now I straight up hate the expectations that come with it. Suddenly these seemingly random dislikes in body and facial hair and my body and my station in life had a description and I was aware of it.

Sorry that's a long way of saying yes

I'm only 4 months into transition and I hope to still see wonderful changes but I'm working on loving my body. Kinda like a canvas I'll just make it mine, tattoos, feminization, get fit, paint nails and style my hair. I can change my body but I won't get a new one so I don't want to spend forever hating it if I can instead see opportunity for it. I'm a woman and therefore regardless of what I've been taught to believe, my body is a woman's body. A work in progress. It's gotten me this far after all.

TinyWerewolf, Lea1961 and RavenK like this.
  4. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It's a yes from me. I'd even argue that unless you have realised you are trans you don't properly know what dysphoria is*, in the same way that someone living in a predominantly humid climate has only an abstract notion of what 'snow' is.

Prior to my epiphany I knew dysphoria as that thing that happens to people 'stuck in the wrong body' but I had no real experience of it. As soon as the penny dropped with me the dysphoria kicked in. For the first few weeks it was excruciating - sometimes I'd wake up and be literally sobbing because I'd feel so sh*** about myself. Since then it has ebbed and flowed; I think my brain has rationalised it now as something I have to go through before I properly transition. It's always worse if I have to spend long periods of time presenting as male.

Beth

* That said, things in our childhood that at the time we put down to other things - shyness, awkwardness, for example - can, in retrospect, be seen as dysphoria.

TinyWerewolf and RavenK like this.
  5. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it did get worse for me. Before realizing I did feel uncomfortable a lot and it was like I lived inside a dream, just existing, but I feel like after realizing, it become even more worse. Now that I look back I do think I was envious of men and didn't even realize it. I think I was in denial.

Then that dream became reality. The dysphoria came and knocked on my door very loudly. I woke up from just existing and became my real self. I don't know, if I make any sense. First week was very though to me too. I literally started crying, shaking and felt tight inside, if I tried to imagine myself keeping on living as a woman. There were just lots of crying.

Now I'm more calm, but the discomfort haven't gone away and if it gets too much, then do feel like crying again. I keep it all inside of me and I just bottle these feelings, what really isn't healthy and I am afraid, that one day I just can't keep it in anymore and burst it out, at the wrong time. I'm terrified, if I have to look into a mirrors too and I try to avoid my own eyes, because seeing me inside this shell is terrifying.

I don't hate this body though. I just feel like I'm trapped. I feel like many trans do hate their body parts and there are things I'm not happy with either, but they don't cause me discomfort. The discomfort is only inside my soul. The dysphoria made itself known to me. I was never even aware of what dysphoria was.

Stephi and RavenK like this.