1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Life is beautiful

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Paul101, Jun 5, 2021.

1. Paul101

Paul101 Guest

So to give some context, I live in a small town. It does not have a visible gay community nor have a diverse cultural presence. I fact it has pretty much no diversity or anything other than a hetro, straight male smell to most things.

So it was a real shock for me to see, today, two men walking through the local, bland, shopping mall holding hands.

A shock in the sense that it made me admit that I have never been confronted with an open display of the gay community that is obviously part of the town I live in and from which I am so totally removed.

Given that I have only recently (the past month) begun to accept that I am a gay man (after fifty years of thinking I was a really crummy straight male) this has had a profound effect on me. It has made me realise that I have a right to love whomever I want, and I want to say thank you. Thank you to all those who have the courage to be open in their sexuality, especially when it is not "hetro-normal". You all give me hope and a sense of joy about who I am.

You are so amazing it fries my mind!!!

Paul x

Sundara and Peterpangirl like this.
  2. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Paul.....I agree with you! I also live in a small, very conservative town in one of the two most conservative states in the U.S. The state government of Idaho is completely controlled by the Republican Party (conservatives). My county government is completely controlled by the Republican Party. Democrats (liberals) are a very rare breed! And yet occasionally I have seen two girls or two boys holding hands in the local grocery store! It makes me think that there is hope in spite of everything that my country has gone through recently!
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

#2 quebec, Jun 5, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
    Peterpangirl and Paul101 like this.
  3. Paul101

Paul101 Guest

And so I become part of a movement and connect with gorgeous people like you quebec (David) I never imagined I would be here, or be having these (virtual) conversations, but it feels good and I feel more like a man than I ever have - much love Paul x

#3 Paul101, Jun 5, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2021
    Peterpangirl likes this.
  4. BlueLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you for sharing your feelings, Paul.

Life can be difficult for everybody sometimes, indeed. All of us, as a part of the LGBT community, have to face extra challenges, such as intolerance from some people. But, then, a small gesture like what you saw can show us that there is also a place for hope in this world.

Peterpangirl and Paul101 like this.