1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can a Facebook friendship become something more?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by AndHeCried, May 10, 2021.

1. AndHeCried

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So the reason for our Facebook friendship is too complicated to explain, but we're basically acquaintances/strangers. I normally do not do online relationships at all, or get crushes on people I only know online, so this is a first for me. I'm just wondering if a relationship can ever come of a Facebook friendship, and if so, how you could move towards that in a non-creepy way. What's a normal timeframe for that? And how long should you wait before it's clear the other person isn't interested? What are signs of interest or signs of disinterest?

2. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Is is possible? As they say "anything is possible". I have been in relationships with people that I met online (including through two through FB), all turned out to be abusive.

3. AndHeCried

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm so sorry to hear that!

4. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I have always believed the foundation of any intimate relationship is friendship. If you can't be friends, you're unlikely to make it as a couple.

The grains of a friendship may begin online, but you will only really test the friendship by talking face to face and meeting in person and it's from there you may discover whether a deeper connection is possible. So if you want to know if more is possible I would suggest moving from chatting only through Facebook to meeting up in person. Try to get together for coffee or go for a picnic and walk. If conversation is easy and the person to person chemistry is good you may get some clues about what is or isn't possible.

QuietPeace likes this.
  5. Embarassed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have never met in person with anyone I talked often with online. I can say, though, that I've had extended communication with a number of people. And I would characterize them as friendships of a sort. And some have been very romantic. A person's kindness can come through in virtual relationships, even if those never become anything more.