1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are your interests/hobbies?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by lxmechanic, Oct 10, 2020.

1. garbage

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Krav maga, poetry and creative writing, reading, cooking/baking, and music (rock/metal and I'm getting into k-pop now).

2. Rezez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Two main hobbies here. Gaming and fencing. The first is usually seen as lame. The second seems to make me pretty cool in most people's eyese.

It's an exciting week for me. My first rapier should be delivered by the end of the week or early next week. I can't wait to be able to use my own weapon!

3. Frederik

Frederik Guest

chocolate , listening to rain sound before sleep , laying at grass and listening to music and watching sky , making friends :grin:

4. DarkWhite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My hobbies are playing videogames, listening to music, I love to go festivals, also like going to clubs.

Next are theater, greek mythology, reading fantasy books and I'm also interested in motorbikes. And yea thats about it.

5. SkipNY

SkipNY Guest

Cooking/eating
    Wines/drinking
    Politics and public service

6. Lesbee

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @lxmechanic I LOVE cooking Carribean foods! I've never been able to visit (yet!) but that is my favorite cuisine. I wouldn't call myself a chef by any means though - I just follow recipes and usually use a pressure cooker (I have an army to feed at home). Also thank you for this post -it's so fun learning more about everyone!

@Suitsme I paint acrylic paintings too (so far just abstract) and while I don't play piano/keyboard, I do play guitar and have a song up on all streaming services. (I'd share it but that would break my anonymity, and besides it's only one song and I am very much an amateur so it's kind of embarrassing! haha)

@Vega222, I imagine @Loves books would need to 5x the speed of an audiobook at 600+ pages/day! But I know YT & at least Audible won't even play that fast 'cause I listen to stuff at 2x and I don't read anywhere near that many pages in a day (and I read a kindle or physical book faster than the sped-up audiobooks anyway, due to pauses for breathing or drama in the recordings lol) then again I don't have much free time. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Besides occasionally cooking something tasty and painting & occasional songwriting, I love realistic drawing - especially people, though I don't make time to do any of that most days.

One thing that I don't think of as a hobby but is definitely an interest -- and one I can't stop myself from doing is... I don't even know what to call it. Maybe something like spiritual self-help?

If something's going on in my life, I'm always doing tons of reading and writing about it - soaking up everything I can from every zen master, life-coach -- anyone I can find that I respect -- and then do tons of writing until some clarity starts to blossom. If nothing is going on, I'm still usually drawn to those types of articles, podcasts, wiki pages, even memes(!), or will go down some other type of learning rabbit hole (sometimes it's practicing Spanish, learning all the countries in the world and their capitals, diving into which parts of the brain register different touch responses - mechanoreceptors and whatnot). I'm also super passionate about life hacks and making life/the world around me more efficient.... though I haven't yet figured out how to do that with my own communication. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

#46 Lesbee, Mar 11, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
  7. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I wish I could read faster. I read like 10 pages per hour (reading whilst listening to the audiobook). Some books are easier so I can read faster. Like a fantasy series that I've already read several volumes of it and am familiar with it. Some are extremely difficult and makes me slow as a turtle.:face_palm: Like a historical book I am reading. It's full of new words. One page per 10 minutes I guess.

But I am getting faster by reading more and more. If I can listen to audiobooks without pausing and making backwards, I'll be able to read like 20-25 pages per hour maybe. Also that makes the reading more enjoyable. Sometimes, it's really boring to read when your English is not good enough.

I didn't know it's doable / practical to listen to audiobooks at 2x. :thinking:

#47 Vega222, Mar 12, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
  8. Lesbee

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

@Vega222 ! I can't do it that fast in a lot of recordings - it depends on the narrator and the book! If I have to look up lots of words I can't do an audiobook at all (I prefer kindle since I can just tap to get the definitions, which I had to do recently with a historical book too). But with some lighter fiction I can read faster, and if the narrator naturally speaks slowly and clearly with little to no accent, I can sometimes listen on 2x. But English is also my first language so absolutely those things all make a difference! And practice absolutely will help you read faster so I'm glad you're not giving up. :slight_smile:

9. Suitsme

Suitsme Guest

@Lesbee
    I’m glad you paint too! Abstract is cool! I wish I could paint as good as the professional artists. Practice is good, especially as I throw various coloured paint over the furniture and myself :grinning:

#49 Suitsme, Mar 16, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2021
  10. Lesbee

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    haha that is the quest of literally EVERY creative of every kind. Even "the greats" must've always been comparing themselves to those who came before them, always feeling they didn't measure up! I love that you get paint everywhere too though. I have "paint jeans" and tarps but I still manage to get it on the walls or in my hair no matter what I do.

11. Suitsme

Suitsme Guest

Yes none of us are truly happy with what we paint are we? ....

See you’re organised! You have your own “paint” clothes. Whereas I just paint in whatever I’m wearing. I have some very colourful clothes, especially pjs lol

I once dropped some white paint on the floor without realising. I had a white footprint appearing in various places throughout the house. Luckily acrylic is washable. This is why I don’t paint using oils lol

12. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Mostly things that stimulate the intellect. I used to have more hobbies and interests. Some of them were physical and more task oriented. I haven't kept some of them because of time commitments or because I had done them for so long that I lost interest. Now, even hobbies like music come back to intellectual stimulation. I've been a big reader my whole life.

13. Loves books

Does daydreaming count as a hobby?
    I used to do that when I was a child. After a certain point I read faster than the audiobooks. It took years of reading for hours everyday to get my speed where it is now. I tried audiobooks recently to try and help me sleep but even Stephen Fry reading Harry Potter couldn’t put me to sleep.

14. BiGemini87

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Probably not as varied as other folks, but: Writing, reading, videogames, music, mythology/folklore, the history of feudal Japan, collecting crystals/gemstones, and learning as much as I can about any subject that catches my interest.

15. Warmwood

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I am interesting in interior design,
    Tea collection, yes tea collection and i make my own recipes
    Basically i am a writer, so i am interesting in Surrealist writing so my poems and biography surrealistic, but I write just in Arabic language so, sometimes in English.

And my finally i am in love with philosophy so analysing behaviours and people is my thing