1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help coming out to my mom?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MaybeBoy, Dec 13, 2020.

1. MaybeBoy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I’m wanting to talk to my mom about my gender but I’m not sure where to start. The advice I’ve seen online is geared more toward teens, but I’m in my 30’s. Resources for parents I’ve found also are more for parents of teens. Is there any helpful links I could send my mom when I’m ready? She’s one to do her research and I’m just worried she might get caught up in all the misinformation out there? I’d feel more comfortable if I could set her on the right track from the start. And maybe info for parents of teens will work just as well, but I’m just curious if there’s something for parents of adults out there?

2. Really

Is there anything on the PFLAG website you think might be helpful?

3. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    MaybeBoy.....I agree with @Really. If you contact PFLAG ((202) 467-8180 or pflag.org) you should be able to find some help with your situation. I'm sure that a lot of the information that is "for the parents of teens" would still be useful for your mother as being the parent of a transgendered person is the same regardless of their age. If you discuss it with them they should be able to point you in the right direction to find what you need!
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

4. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's some really good resources given above. Other resources you could look into is "understanding gender identity - for families", and "families in transition". The second one is directed more towards teens, though it has some useful information and commonly asked questions that may be helpful for yourself and your mom.

Best of luck.

5. MaybeBoy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you all for the suggestions! I will keep them all in mind for whenever I’m sure enough about myself to have that talk with my mom. I really appreciate the help!