1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Relationship of gender identity and gender expression

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by JessNC, Nov 25, 2020.

1. JessNC

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am transitioning or growing my gender identity later in life (m to ?) and am having a difficult time understanding how gender identity and expression connect. Love to hear other's thought along these lines.

2. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    They generally intersect at least a little. Trans guys tend to be more masculine than when they presented as female and trans women are feminine likewise. It does not have to be this way though. My ex-husband a nonbinary trans guy was mostly androgynous while a trans woman I know does not present feminine in dress at all and she even has a beard. I as a woman who was assigned male at birth come across to everyone as pretty a fairly feminine but not totally stereotypical woman. The presentation that you are most comfortable with is what you should go with. If you have respectful friends they will use the name you tell them to and your pronouns no matter how you present.

3. JessNC

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you, QP.

4. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I'm sort of a transfeminine nonbinary, and I think my personality matches. I'm a little feminine, and prefer feminine things to masculine things, but have an even greater preference for gender-nonspecific things like video games and anime. I suppose I'd come off as something of a tomboy, but not the particularly athletic type.

5. UmaMae

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't know tbh. I'd say gender expression is a reflection of the inner feeling of gender. And then there are things that are socially constructed to be gendered but don't need to be necessarily.

For example.. Short hair. Im thinking about this right now. Short hair can be cis female expression, it can be a butch masculine, but still woman who wears short hair, or a nonbinary or trans man...

Also traits and interests are unnecessarily gendered. Like I'm (mostly?) a woman and I like video games. As a woman I can like video games and sports and stuff that is perceived masculine in our society. But then there are moments where I feel more genderfluid, and then I use gender expression to show it. Like, more masculine clothing. But the same clothes can also be worn by a feminine woman or a butch. Expression can correlate, gender is an inner feeling