1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any other members on here who are apolitical?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BlueMonday, Jun 18, 2020.

1. BlueMonday

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    What with the discussions about Trump, BLM, elections, this and that going on in here, I have one question. Am I the only one who doesn't give the slightest darn about politics? To put it in the nicest way possible, I just don't care.

2. Spatula

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't fathom not caring. Politics affect everyone's life.

Not caring about a single issue, sure. Not caring about anything at all? Seems like a callous indifference to other peoples' suffering surely.

#2 Spatula, Jun 18, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
  3. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well when people have voted for the lessor of two evils for decades now, and your only option is a lying cheating crook or a lying cheating crook... It does seem to be hard to care.

4. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    BLM isn't about politics though, it's about human lives and human suffering.

You can't not care about politics but pretend to care about human lives, as a gay man yes I do find it worrying you don't care though it is your choice.

Politics affect everyone, gay folks, minorities, disable folks, women, the elderly, it affects minorities and vulnerable individuals MOST, so if you genuinely don't care I would ask yourself why, and why you think this is in any way a good thing?

Good on you for not caring, most of us don't have that privilege I guess?

5. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In saying you don't care about politics, you are effectively saying you don't care about yourself or anyone else. I'm sorry, but it's true. Whether we like it or not, politics affects everything about who we are, where we are, what we can do and what we cannot do. It's true from the moment we are born until the moment we die and it can actually determine when and how we die. Politics is an inescapable fact of life... life is politics, politics is life.

Taking an interest in politics doesn't require you to become a card carrying party member or flag waving activist, it just requires you to engage - in life and do this small thing every so often, called voting.

6. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I get what you mean. Sometimes I feel bad about it, I don't think it's possible to fully disconnect from politics, but I don't feel a sense of loyalty to one side or the other...it often feels as though I'm picking out of the lesser of two evils. Occasionally I've voted but not out of any sort of passion for that party, in fact I'm cynical of their overly ambitious plans (that probably aren't sincere) and I don't like their past positions (and possibly current positions) on certain subjects but when the other options aren't great either then that puts in me in something of a bind.

My family likes to joke that if you want to be a politician, you probably shouldn't be. I'm not heartless, but I do feel powerless and that makes me want to switch off. That we're all just metaphorically applying plasters to a bullet-hole. I don't have any solutions (hence my hesitancy to voice my concerns) and I know that any ones given will eventually be twisted into something else. Be dragged down in jargon and lose sight of what it set out to do. Progress is being made though. I completely understand wanting to tune out and live in a world of your own.

7. Vesta

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't pay attention to politics unless someone shoves it in my face. In terms of what's going on with BLM, I have opinions on it. I like to see all sides of every problem presented. I tend to keep such things to myself because most people I know can be extremely opinionated and refuse to see things from another perspective other than their own.

8. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I was imagining to start a similar thread today. :slight_smile:)
    I used to follow news and politics since I was a kid! In recent years I spent much time on the Internet, Fighting/debating with those Islamists who are ruling. It was too time-wasting and also dangerous.
    I was literally addicted to news and stuff.

But I am proud to say I quit reading political news/tweets/etc completely since a few months ago. That was one of the best decisions I've made in my life.

Maybe I have some limit opinions on politics. But I'm beyond fed up with spending time on it.

Now that I've quit it, I have much more free time to do the things I really love. Also, When I see other family members and friends pay so much attention to political stuff, I feel satisfying even more that I am free of it.

9. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Honestly, up until Trump and Brexit, I really didn't care. I didn't vote and didn't feel too strongly about anything. Also, I was still in school and didn't really see how any of the things would directly effect me.

Especially now, it's so hard not to notice the domestic and international issues we are having now and which leaders stand for what I believe in, and which do not.

10. Spatula

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Disliking both major parties is not being 'apolitical'. On the contrary that's a pretty engaged political opinion to have.

11. zuice

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Political action is required if you wish to live by "love thy neighbor". In the U.S.A., many dreamer children, young children brought by and young children born in America of immigrants, do not have the rights of citizens. Being political, enables one to be compassionate for others. When someone says they are apolitical, I wonder if they are sincere about caring for others. I doubt that this caring forum site is guided by an apolitical concenus.

12. Joelouis

It seems that whatever social media platform you go on these days, it inevitably involves politics, whether you want it or not, someone brings it up and very often it becomes hateful.
    I dislike the extremes of either side and view myself as a centralist. This isn’t ideal in most circumstances as the far left and far right will attack you for “not standing up for anything”, then attack each other for having differing views to their own. I’m Conservative. I believe in working for your money if you’re able to.

13. Joelle b

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Um, I don’t care for politics. I couldn’t care less and I think it’s ridiculous how people allow it to consume their lives. I mean, I am aware about what all goes on, and if you demanded me to have an opinion I don’t like trump, mainly because he is against things that I actually care about, but honestly, who cares about politics? They are just something to argue about with your extended family over thanksgiving dinner. I don’t get why people get so passionate about this stuff. I have friends who are politics infatuated and stuff, but I have always found it to just get in the way. But then, this is the views of a 14 year old, so I guess maybe if I became old and browsing one day I will spend all my time on facebook watching politician videos like how my grandmother dose. Who knows. I value my vote, I guess, because people have fought for it, and I don’t want an idiot running the nation. And my mom makes me watch political debates, so i know enough about it to win a debate, but I don’t care. And I know that I wouldn’t ever vote for trump because I have heard enough to know I don’t like him, and I never will. But I really don’t care.

14. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The reason why people fight about it over dinner is because politics determines people rights/ the laws/ and quality of life.

It actually makes less sense to fight with your family over dinner about gay rights than it does about politics. What your grandma think of gays is irrelevant as her views don’t hold much power on others, what the president or political party in charge thinks of gay people though is extremely relevant because it will determine which freedom and quality you have in the country you live. As you already know, some people are killed, jailed, tortured or sent to camps for being gay, because the government in charge is against it.

that’s why politics is ALWAYS worth fighting for. I don’t think someone can say they care about human rights and not care about politics. Politics is the reason why some people don’t have human rights and are abused/murdered.

So here, just wanted to explain to you why, as you grow older you most definitely should take an interest in politics (worldwide) and watch videos and stay informed and fight for what is right.

15. Doopz

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not really. I find it all really depressing, and gosh knows I don't need more of that in my life. So, I try to avoid it when possible. Though, that is fairly hard with me being surrounded by politically minded people. Of all types, extremist or not.

So yeah, I take the whole ignorance is bliss route. And I know how that might be taken, but frankly, it's not good for my mental health. And that's all I got right now.

#15 Doopz, Jul 19, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
  16. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don’t like politics, but I am registered to vote and I do plan to vote in the upcoming presidential election as I believe voter turnout will be significantly higher than previous and I believe this will be a very close election.

#16 Andrew99, Jul 19, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
  17. MRMitch

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Kanye West for president.................. just kidding :grin:. I tend to stay neutral when it comes to politics and stuff like that, but then people try and force their opinion on you, and they go on and on and on, at which point I'm like, girl bye :sleeping:

18. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have opinions about politics but I understand where others are coming from too. I explain my point of view when needed, I hope it can give someone some insight, but I don’t try to “convert” people at all cost. Ideally, I think that there shouldn’t be anyone who gets the short end of the stick, if that’s possible.

19. Loves books

I don’t pay too much attention to the politics in my country. The only reason I know the name of the current president is he was my mothers neighbour when they were kids. I don’t know what the last election I voted in was for but the ballot had photos so I voted based on looks. I know I hate Trump even though I’m not American.

20. Halolala

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    IMO political preferences are one of the things that have the potential to divide people. I'd rather stay away from this. Not to mention none of the politicians here feels for me like the can be 100% trusted.
    Still, it doesn't change the fact voting is mandatory in my country.