1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Queer Parents with children, what do your kids call you?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Love4Ever, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So I was just curious, for people on here who have children, what do they call you? Do you use your first names, or some variation of mother or father? Because of course I think a lot of people in straight relationships with kids never really question these things because they have a sort of prescribed script to follow. But queer people might have to get more creative I guess. So what do your kids call you?

2. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member Away

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wondered the same thing as well. I don't know if you've seen/heard of the lesbian couple Living Rosa on YouTube, but their kids call them Mommy and Mama. NPH and David Burka's kids call them Daddy and Papa.

I've also heard some people use "Baba". In Russian it means father, but in Ukrainian it means Grandmother. I could never use "Baba, just because where I come from, the majority of people here are of Ukrainian descent, and I've heard classmates call their grandmother's their Baba.

3. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, I have a friend who actually calls her father that. She originally was from China though. As for me, I'm with you, simple variations of common parent/child names work for me. If I could have been born somewhere outside the US I would have wanted to be born in England. So mum or mummy is adorable to me and I would be quite happy with that. But mom and mommy are nice too.

4. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know any LGBT couples with kids, but if it were me I'd probably go with the basic dad/daddy until the kid was old enough to choose what they want to call us for themselves. Using first names just seems cold to me, it removes the affection implied by using family titles.

The coldest one I've heard was a mother who made her own children call her "Dr. (last name)" just like a patient or coworker would. There's just something very wrong about making a 10 year old use your work title to talk to you.

5. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Wow! That's crazy. Though I had a close friend who sometimes was required to call her parents ma'am and sir. I always thought that was strange.

6. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi have two children. They call me dad. I now have a trans girlfriend. I would wxpect them to call her by her name. I would only want them calling their actual mother ‘mom”.

Happy Days

7. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am surrounded by queer couples with kids and it seems to be mainly mom/mommy or dad/daddy or mommy Sarah and Mommy Allana
    if the couple are from different countries they sometimes swap the mum/dad for the equivalent of it in the mother (or father's) native languague so for example maman and mommy or mama and mom