1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turning straight people

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Biguyjosh, Apr 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Biguyjosh

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've heard gay people talk about turning straight people. And it seems to be a fantasy or personal goal lol. Do you think when it happens the person really turned or are really gay or bi and just was in denial?

2. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was straight 6 months ago and never once had a gay thought ever before that - so I guess I got 'turned' if you want to call it that. I'm thinking I was gay the whole time and just repressed it all though. Since I never had any significant gay interactions or thoughts nothing ever pushed me into feeling things I hadn't felt before. As soon as I did start letting myself feel things for a guy it turned into a rush of emotions and attractions that just kept getting stronger the more interaction I had (and it still is).

I don't think a person can really be 'turned' as in actually going from straight to gay, but I do think it's possible to 'turn' someone by causing them to experience repressed feelings they didn't know they had, which makes it look like changing their orientation. Really it's just causing them to feel safe enough to experience their true feelings for the first time though.

#2 Destin, Apr 16, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  3. Biguy45

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I agree. If someone becomes gay, they were already there just didn’t realize it. I always thought I was straight but I can’t say I never had any gay thoughts, or even actions. A lot of denial

4. Rin311

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's hypocritical and pretty absurd to agree that gay people can't be "converted", but straight people can be "turned". We don't know how to change people's sexual orientation, period. Doctor don't know, scientists don't know. Maybe we'll find out in the future, but right now. it's not a realistic issue. Guys who "were" straight and become interested in guys were never straight to begin with, although they may not have realized it/accepted it in the past. I think the whole idea of "turning" someone is pretty offensive.

5. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Usually I think it is more of a case of denial or internalized homophobia, as others have said. I don't believe there is credibility to suggest that someone's orientation can be changed. Because after all, we hate that kind of discourse when applied to LGBT people right? So why apply it to straight people

6. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You can't actually turn someone. But it's something we wish we could do.
    The thing is, there are a lot of slightly bi people out there who lean more towards heterosexual. Often, "turning someone bi/gay" might just mean convincing that person to indulge on their curiosities, which they already had.

7. Lexa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, he was in denial.

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can't turn someone gay. To try to do that is immoral and unethical. How would you feel if you were deeply closeted and someone forced you into a situation you didn't want and weren't ready for? And how would you feel if you were gay and some girl forced herself on you and tried to convince you that you were straight?

This is just wrong on so many levels.

9. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I turned. But I turned myself so I don't know if that counts. Yes, I think people can turn and I would be happy to help someone do that, explore, experiment, whatever. I think we all have latent tendencies.

10. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    And I hesitate to use the word "turn" because I don't see it as forcing someone to be anything. I wasn't forced, and I would never force anybody else. I think everyone has the potential innately so I don't think "turn" is the right word because it implies they changed when I think they just uncovered a part of themselves.

11. Shoei Loei

Shoei Loei Guest

I think the whole idea of “turning” straight people comes from comedic stereotypes. I don’t think someone can just become gay, or turn gay honestly. I think that you’re either born with it, or not. I think for most people, it takes a while to realize that they are gay, so they assume they’re straight up until they realize...that’s how it was for me for a while. Also, I feel like trying to push someone who’s not gay into thinking they are gay is kind of like when people try to “convert” a gay person into being straight. It just doesn’t work or last, and it’s unhealthy. It’s better to just let people be who they are, whether they’re gay or straight, instead of trying to force a sexuality on them that they don’t align with.

12. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OK, again, people don't "turn" gay. It is really, really important that this message get across really clearly. Otherwise, it gives fuel to the religious crazies that believe "it's a choice" and that people can be turned back, neither of which is true.

In your case, you were, as with many others, bisexual in the first place. It is quite possible (and not uncommon) that you were simply unaware of it because of the messages all of us constantly get from the media that reinforce heterosexist values and stereotypes. So what happened in your case was something triggered the feelings and the willingness to explore them. If someone approaches the idea that they want to try something, that's one thing.

But there are also plenty of people who get talked into things because they have difficulties saying no, or because alcohol or drugs are involved, or both. And it is wrong on so many levels to push or even strongly encourage someone unless they've showed complete openness and willingness... yet it is these extremely harmful misconceptions (that "everyone can be turned") that really, really screw up society, give LGBT people a bad name, and cause so many problems.

Please, please don't promote this sort of crap. It isn't OK.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.