1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it weird if guys are not interested in sports?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by crystalbal, Sep 8, 2017.

1. crystalbal

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi guys :slight_smile:

I would like to discuss about a topic.

Is it a must for males (both men and boys) to be interested and participate in sports?

I'm a person who don't really like sports. I don't watch matches like soccer or basketball matches.

But, here is the thing. It seems that most males like to watch sports matches and play games like soccer, basketball etc.

I have been made fun of for being a male and not being interested in sports by my own family members and relatives.

I have told some people that I dun like sports because most of the time, the players like to be ruthless and push you about so that they can take the soccer ball/ basketball from you. And they blame you to the core if you don't help the team win in the game. They immediately reply to me " You are so sissy" or " You are so gay". I can't express in words the hurt that I felt when I hear these remarks. :frowning2:

It seems that as a male, I must enjoy and accept these physical attacks and roughness in sports games.

The only sport that I enjoy is badminton. It's mostly a 1 vs 1 player game. And nobody will push you about or blame you for losing. I would never say no to a badminton game. :slight_smile:

(But then, again, there are some people who told me that badminton is not really a manly sport because there is no roughness involved in the game like soccer, rugby etc.)

What are your opinions about this?

2. Shoei Loei

Shoei Loei Guest

While sports culture seems to have a large presence throughout the world, it's definitely okay to be a male who doesn't enjoy sports. I personally know quite a few guys who aren't into sports, and that's okay! It can be hard when you're whole family teases you about it, so I can understand how it might make you feel upset or uncomfortable. But try not to let it get to you so much :slight_smile:

You just do what you enjoy, and you pursue your own interests...That's the beauty of human nature, we're all different. It's the same thing with music or movies. Some people are really into that sort of entertainment, while others find amusement elsewhere. So try and think of it that way. You may not be into sports, but you've got other interests that suit you and that you're more passionate about. :slight_smile:

In my humble opinion, sports being gender defined is sort of a cultural construct or stereotype. People associate sports with masculinity and ruggedness, but really being a sports fan or not doesn't make you any more (or less) of a man. On the flip side, plenty of women fit the bill of a rough & tumble sports fan.

#2 Shoei Loei, Sep 8, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2017
  3. Pixo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No, I don't think it is, but depending on the people you are around, you might get judged for it. In the end, it's about what you want to do and how you want to live. All sports aren't rough and tumble though, I do track, swimming, and cross country and none of those require physical contact with others.

4. Justinian20

I actually was into sport as a kid, but my parents seem to think I should get back into it because I created my own stuff with it, But I just said that's me as a kid, adults grow out of stuff and I grew out of an interest in sport.

I think it's just ridiculous to follow gender stereotypes, an interest in sport is one of those for men, I also happen to like to crossdress and I still consider myself a little bit masculine.

It's also video games that is one thing that is considered masculine, like if all men were into sport the world would be kind of boring, I'm not into sport anymore. I'm into more creative and relatively gender neutral things.

Now in the case of your question, it is definitely not weird to not be into sport as a male, there are so many forms of masculinity, I also know how you feel, my parents are basically trying to force me to watch sport again and I don't want to and they make me upset by constantly trying to be like, "There is something wrong with you, if you liked sport as a kid but you don't like sport now."

#4 Justinian20, Sep 8, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  5. Flowey

I hate team sports for the exact reason that you do. Well, I hate most team things. People always blame me for failure and even if they don't, I still feel like a burden. Some emotional burnt from childhood never go away. At least I'm a decent skater =p
    I do enjoy sports where I can beat people up though. Kind of like revenge, "take that you bitches!"

6. Twist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, it is not weird to not like sports. Not everyone enjoys physical contact with others, or competitive behavior, or physical activity, or roughhousing. That doesn't make someone "less" of a man, and the mentality of barbarism that believes it does needs to be rejected. It's as ludicrous as saying that all women like ballet.

7. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think most people would find it a little strange for a male not to be interested in any sports whatsoever (one guy was even complaining on his blog about not understanding those who don't). For a lot of them, its the "default" subject that they can fall back on. Might have something to do with establishing hierarchy and identifying "tribes"...

In school I played a bit of soccer/football during recess, but otherwise? Unless you count something like pro-wrestling, which I follow casually, they just don't interest me. The worst is when your entire class or workplace is discussing it (yes, the women too) and you have nothing to contribute.

8. Northern guy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No it's not weird. I've never liked sport, and I don't think it's because I'm gay , plenty of gay people enjoy participating in and/or watching sports. I think it's because I'm just not competetive, never have been . I am, however a superb team member/leader in a work situation , and in my voluntary work too. I agree with @gravechild, for most people it's a "default" subject , they can fall back on it to talk about, it's expected so they go along with it , that's how people are, they don't like to step out of line or they're not "in" with the "in" crowd. As for me, I take people as I find them and expect the same, I don't feel the need to conform . My expectations and likes are as good as anyone else's .

9. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hang out with mostly guys and most of my friends don't care for sports. I think it's becoming less and less popular. Personally I'm mad about snooker but besides that I don't like sport.

10. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My Dad hates sports and my Mom loves them. I'm used to this norm in my family!

11. Lexa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like to watch soccer especially when the Red Devils (Belgian national football team) are playing. My boyfriend likes to watch soccer too but like me, he was and is not good at playing sports. I think you should be yourself. If you don't like sports, you don't like sports. And that's totally fine. Life is way too short to do things you don't like just because you feel pressure from others to do them. Gender stereotypes and roles are created by society and depend on what time you live in, where you live etc. What's considered masculine now can be considered feminine in the future (like wearing high heels, at some point in history men wore them too).

12. Serperior

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    It's completely okay. Liking or disliking sports doesn't make you weird.

13. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think it is perfectly fine if a guy doesn't like sports. Sure, I played on sports teams when I was little, but I was never fully into it. And it was more for my dad, who wanted a sporty, athletic son. I wound up chasing butterflies and scoring for the wrong team instead of actually playing. I mean, I'd play, but my heart was never really into it.

I absolutely despise American football with a passion. I like baseball, but don't follow it a lot because the games can get boring after awhile. I could also watch hockey or soccer(football) if there was nothing else to do, and if I felt up for it. Now I'll mostly participate in sports for fun, like at parties and stuff, but it's not a priority.

I'm much happier being my artsy, creative, not-at-all sporty self, drawing the day away.

#13 BothWaysSecret, Sep 9, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  14. frappuccno

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't watch sport too but i grew up among friends that know me well which they don't question or say sth like "you're gay because you don't watch sport". But from my opinion I really think that those who ask u and tell u like that is because they want to look as a cool guy in front of other people and use a non-watching-sport-guy as a show off stage. A true sport friend and a good person would understand each person has different preference. There are many guys out there that don't watch sport and who watch it but just keep to themselves or close people.

15. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's an old stereotype that I think is one of those toxic expectations of masculinity. Don't feel like you have to like anything you don't have any interest in. It's also perfectly fine to like sports. Just be true to yourself, don't let made up standards dictate who you are. Like what you like,everything else is just noise.

16. JaimeGaye

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Never liked sports, never had any interest in sports. My parents, in a desperate effort to masculinize me, sent me out for Little League one year. I spent the season standing out in right field or sitting on the bench.
    Then while in my Freshman year of High School they insisted I try out for football of all things. I lasted the first week before the coach strongly advised me to drop the idea "Before somebody out here permanently injures you,,,"
    Never was I so grateful for someone's advise and had he wrote the suggestion in a letter I would have framed it and it would be still hanging in my home.
    I do enjoy watching golf on TV and for whatever reason I find women's beach volleyball fascinating.

17. Heaux

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    i fking hate sports. my perspective on football matches is that they run around with a ball, which is as dull as i can imagine it to be.

18. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Weird as in uncommon, unusual--perhaps. Most males that I've come across have at least a passing interest in sports, though the numbers are not as high as one might expect. Among the males in my circle, many have never been on a time nor do they spend much time viewing them as spectators. Going by that alone, I would have to say it's not that uncommon or unusual. (I personally have very little interest in sports, other than occasionally watching the Olympics). Weird as in something wrong--not even in the slightest.

19. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No. I hate sports.

20. jam93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is definately a cultural expectation that men will like sports, especially "manly" sports like football, baseball, basketball, or soccer. However, like most such assumptions, this is based on stereotypes and stereotypes are rairly (if ever) true. Do a lot of guys like sports? Yes. Does that mean all guys like sports? Definately not. I'm a guy, I don't like sports. I don't like playing them and I hate watching them (*sarcasm* yay, he put the ball in the thing and got a point again, wooo!). Does that make me less manly then a guy who does like sports? Nope. Does it have anything to do with my sexuality? I doubt it. My Dad and brother both don't care for sports, and I'm fairly certain they're both straight. It all comes down to your personality and what you enjoy. In short, if you don't like sports, your fine. Your not any less manly then guys who do. Thiers nothing wrong with you. And it says absolutely nothing about you or your sexuality, except that you just don't like sports.