1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Were you homophobic before you were LGBT+?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Guff, Aug 9, 2016.

1. mvp 447

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was definitely insulting about it, homophobic would seem to fit. Talk about a 180.

2. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was not. I did sometimes go along with my friends and call various things "gay" just because it was the cool thing to do at the time, but I never had any true negative feelings about homosexuals. I was raised in a Catholic household, but my parents never said anything against homosexuality, nor did the church I was brought up in (although one deacon once referred to the "temptation of homosexuality". Made me wonder about him...)

3. lostboy73

Out Status:
    Some people
    Before I realized I was trans, I was kind of transphobic. Not the "trans people will burn in hell" but the type who didn't really understand why people would want to change their bodies. I guess I was just so in denial that I felt the need to find a reason to dislike the trans community. I was never hateful towards the LGBQ part though.

4. Snoww

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wasn't homophobic, I didn't even know gay people existed.

I could say I was a bit transphobic tho, I think I made fun of a trans person because everyone else was making fun of them ( around 4th grade ), but I didn't really understand why I was doing it ( nothing really bad, I just laughed ). Now I feel bad but I also accept that I was really ignorant.

5. MulticoloredSox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Same here, I was very supporting of the LGBQ part but didn't really understand trans people at the time. I think it's also partly because no one ever really mentioned trans issues or the like when I was a kid even though there were frequent mentions of the rest of the LGBTQ community for the most part. I think quite a bit of transphobia comes from a lack of education in my opinion.

6. ravenscarlett

I wasn't homophobic, but I wasn't too exposed to it. I came to accept it after I made friends with someone at an anime convention. At that point, I knew them as a girl and they were talking about having girlfriends and boyfriends and I was completely confused as to why a girl was dating another girl because I just didn't see it much. Now I'm pansexual, unsure about my gender, and I still talk to the friend I made. They now identify as a gay male though.

7. I'm_Danni_x

I was never homophobic or bigoted in any way - even though I have a Muslim family - as they aren't vocal about it. I didn't know the acronym 'LGBTQ' existed and I thought you could just love whoever you wanted. I fancied a female teacher when I was 8 and knew it was possible.
    At the age of 12, my mum had found out that I was attracted to girls and she did make homophobic remarks and belittling comments which discouraged me from bringing a future girlfriend home (which I won't) which didn't exactly surprise me. Nonetheless, I've just learnt to ignore her and accept who I am. Fast foward a couple of years, she's still in denial and believes im straight because I haven't mentioned it. She makes comments about my marriage with a man, yeah right... :grin:

#67 I'm_Danni_x, Aug 17, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  8. Guff

Good for you, moving forward anyway. C:

9. Enjel

Enjel Guest

Before I ever came to terms with being gay, I wasn't ever homophobic. I was quite accepting of it really; when I found out there were others like me, it made me have a sense of belonging; unfortunately, even being a part of that group, made me self-conscious. Some of my friends & family, on the other hand, were kind of rude about it. A few of their snide remarks have stuck with me to this day too. However, I'm still benevolent to those that aren't so lucky in being LGBT savvy.

10. jollyjoel

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was raised in a religious household where it was told that homosexuality/being gay was a sin, wrong, immoral, etc. So yes, I was homophobic before I realized I was gay. While my dad does not accept me being Gay, he told me that he was quite homophobic before I came out and learned to tolerate the people of the LGBTQ+ community more.

11. Potatoes

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I became homophobic whenever I realised I was gay because I thought it was something bad. Took me a while, but i now am no longer a homophobe.

12. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I kind of still am.

I admit that I'm not very fond of those guys who are so effeminate that they refer to each other as "she" (but aren't trans, just really extremely effeminate.) I'd be rather offended if someone referred to me as if I was female.

13. Gentlady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wasn't, because as soon as I learned about lgbt it just kinda clicked with me, I knew I was a part of it somehow. Just didn't know what to identify as and still don't.

#73 Gentlady, Aug 17, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  14. bidemi

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I wasn't homophobic to say,rather I just viewed LGBT people as perverts who needed help,probably cause I was raised that way. So happy have passed that stage

15. Guff

Isn't that pretty much being homophobic? I'd almost rather have you think I'm going to hell than have you think I'm a pervert XD

16. BenFreeman

nope...i felt a kinship with them but didnt realise...

17. TheRealSlimDork

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I never thought it was wrong, not for long. Unfortunately I grew up thinking "gay" was a swear word, thanks to my extended family. when someone (not sure who) broke down that gay meant 'two men who are married' (Lol I know they included marriage in the definition), I remember saying something like, "That's wrong. Wait... actually, that's totally fine, what's the big deal?"

18. idefygravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I was never homophobic. Mostly, I think I was super scared and confused by it. I was always more like "this is so different what's it all about." But whenever anyone I knew brought it up in my friend group, I was super withdrawn. My family is the type who says they're open-minded, but aren't. It made my denial and confusion period supeeeer long.

19. Chrisr

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Oh yeah no. I went through this whole phase of "I'm a fucking abomination because I think I'm gay" mostly because of how I was raised. Like many... Catholic, family hated gays, ect.
    It took a long time to finally accept myself, which no one should ever have to deal with/grow up with.

20. Guff

I'm literally just finally exiting the I'm a fucking abomination stage of things.