1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you date someone who has cancer?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Jackie13, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Jackie13

Just curious. I have cancer. I have four years and have done treatment off and one, some more difficult than others, sometimes losing my hair, sometimes not. Right now I'm on an experimental drug which is working like a charm and I look like any other healthy 28 year old. Remission is still an unknown. Sigh.

Anyway, as you can imagine, my love life has been nonexistent since diagnosis. Cancer scares off most people. So, would you date someone who has cancer?

2. Glowing Eyes

I don't think I'd be able to show the compassion needed for that. I'm really bad when it comes to showing emotion. I either cry when I'm really sad or throw a rage fit when I'm angry and I just can't see my emotionless attitude being good for somebody suffering from cancer.

#2 Glowing Eyes, Jun 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  3. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would. ^.^

4. AmyBee

5. ScarletWitch

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Yes. Even though it would be hard knowing that they are suffering from such a terrible disease, I would still be willing to do so, as long as they don't try to use their disease as a crutch for attention.

6. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As long as it wasn't terminal.

7. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Absolutely.

8. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would take it one day at time. I'm not going to turn someone down because they have cancer

9. andhow

I certainly feel like I could. My biggest concern would be potentially falling in love with the person and losing them prematurely. I'm not sure I have enough emotional gumption to voluntarily expose myself to that.

10. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I hope the new treatment works and you go into remission. (*hug*)

I'm a cancer survivor so it wouldn't scare me off. I guess it would just strengthen my connection because of how profoundly the illness has effected me and my life. I hope you find someone that will accept you and love you for who you are. :kiss:

11. Distant Echo

Yes. I am. Ze had cancer when we met. Never considered not dating zir because of the cancer.

12. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Exactly. The main thing that would be hard for me, if I loved them, would be the thought of losing them.

13. Bergamot

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I would absolutely date someone with cancer (or any other disease). Everyone deserves love. Would I worry about them constantly? Yes. But that wouldn't keep me from joining them in partnership. Nobody knows what's in store for them. You have cancer and may enter remission and live a healthy life for another 70 years or more. I might be attacked by a moose tomorrow (this is a very real threat where I live). Nobody knows what will happen. I also understand that being with someone who has a dreadful disease means being there for them and taking care of them - all the ups and downs of it all. That's something to consider and I have to say that my interest in someone would outweigh any of those other things. I would WANT to help - to be there and to be supportive. No, cancer would not scare me away. I hope you are feeling the best ever and that you are given nothing but good news from now on.

14. AlamoCity

Yeah. It would be scary, but also unfortunately a sizable group of us will eventually get cancer in one way or another.

15. Cauldron

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes I would.

16. Funny

Man that's a real hard question. It super sucks to be in such a position... I see everybody say yes but I'm not so sure. I wouldn't just say "you have cancer so I won't date you", however, if I would know someone has cancer, I'm pretty sure I'd think twice before starting a relationship and committing to deep feelings like that.

That's the rational me. From a more emotional level, I think that if I have a friend who has cancer, even unconsciously this would put someone in the "friend zone".

If I would find someone on a dating site, and see "I have only 4 years to live", I probably wouldn't even check out the profile. Although I guess that depends a little on what kind of relationship you would be seeking, if you know what I mean.

On the other hand, if something happens, then something happens.

Sorry for being so brutally honest... I also don't want to give you false hope. Maybe there are special forums where you could talk about this and possibly date someone?

#16 Funny, Jun 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  17. guitar

I absolutely would and have. If the person is actively dying, that's one thing. If there's a decent prognosis, I don't see why not.

18. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This won't be the "nice" answer but it's the honest one.

1. If they are dying, no.
    2. If they try using the condition to get me to go out with them, then no.
    3. If they try to draw attention to themselves due to their condition, then no.
    4. If they try using their condition to hurt me or to make me do things I wouldn't do for them anyway, then no.
    5. If their personality changes - even if a direct result of the condition - to one I can't get along with, then no.

6. If they smoke, anti-male ''feminist'', have a criminal conviction, think I'm going to cheat on them since I'm bi, doesn't think NB a/genders exist, then no. [and some other general stuff based on personality, actions or ideologies not fitting]

7. I would need to discuss with them if they want to date me knowing I have a condition that could make them worse, and possibly not be able to visit them in hospital.

8. Everything else, yes.

I honestly don't think it can be a simple ''yes'' or ''no'' answer. Saying you ''have cancer'' doesn't automatically make me want to date you or want to stop dating you. There are other factors as well.

#18 Secrets5, Jun 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  19. SpaceOddity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Absolutely I would. And this may sound strange, but it would in a way enrich both mine and my partners life (who theoretically has cancer) because I'd want to be doing everything and experiencing everything we can together. Noted, I know having cancer and treatment does take a lot out of a person, but I think you can understand the point I'm trying to make :slight_smile:

20. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think I'd be able to do it. I'm not an emotional person and I don't think a potential partner would need someone they perceive as ''cold'' in a time like this.