1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have you/would you come out on Facebook?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by dirtyshirt84, Jun 3, 2016.

1. YeahpIdk

Hahahahaha this is great.

---------- Post added 4th Jun 2016 at 12:29 PM ----------

I think it was around 300! And Lizzy the Lezzy liked it! That's all that counts. If Lizzy likes the post, then you're a certified lesbian.

2. Linthras

Linthras Guest

I have not and will not.
    At least not explicitely. If people want to know they can ask and I'll answer.
    At the same time I will freely post about LGBT issues and won't hide anything it if it's brought up.

3. dirtyshirt84

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Love this Katchoo!

Although I don't like cats all that much so...maybe kind of gives it away :lol:

4. Distant Echo

Make a list on fb that you are happy to be out to or who already know. Post the LGBT stuff only to them. My list is called close friends. They see everything I post. Others see bits and pieces.

5. afgirl

No, because there is more than just me I need to think about. Besides, I've never really put any of my business on FB, so don't really feel the need to do so now.

6. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out before facebook was invented so never needed to come out on social media. I assume all my contacts know what "Interested in Men" means.

7. 50ishandout

After I had Come Out to some family and friends I started to explore the Gay side of Facebook. Forgetting that when you like something it comes up on others Timeline that you liked a certain picture or article.

We'll one day I got a couple of calls that people had seen that I liked certain pictures that were very Gay, one of which is a friend who is a Judge.

After thinking my life was over I posted on Facebook that I had Come Out earlier in the year.

The response of support made me cry at a certain point. Although I do have one person that continues to give me a hard time, most everyone else has been wonderfully supportive. Even the people I thought would not be.

It's truly a different world today, those that love you will no matter who you love.

#27 50ishandout, Jun 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  8. dirtyshirt84

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's interesting, 50ish and out and brave of you to do that. Yes, as far as I know all your friends can see what you 'like' and comment on, I don't think there is any way to restrict that? But things you post can be customised to exclude certain people etc.

Glad everyone was supportive! I imagine nowadays if anyone did react negatively or give you a hard time that other friends would subsequently challenge them on their behaviour. I know some of my friends definetly would. I worry sometimes there are prejudiced people out there who do disapprove but know better than to say anything. But who cares about them.

#28 dirtyshirt84, Jun 6, 2016
  9. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out as trans on Facebook, best decision I could have made in my opinion. I first told immediate family and about 10 close friends face to face and after that I just said "fuck it" and posted a status. People were amazingly accepting and I couldn't have asked for a better response.

I'd say it's worth it. There are some things to think about though. Might want to unfriend/block family if you don't want to come out to extended family. On that subject if people are liking/commenting on your status then it comes up on all of their friends timelines too so keep in mind their friends and whether you want them to know. My status got about 130 likes and random kids from the years below me had seen it and I got a bunch of friend requests from people that I don't really like. As long as you keep your profile privacy settings controlled though that's all theyre going to see.

10. Green251

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
  11. Katchoo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    PHP:
    Safety first, Green. For you, I have a hunch this wouldn't be safe. "Better safe in the closet than out on the streets."

---------- Post added 6th Jun 2016 at 09:41 PM ----------

I first got FB in 2005 or 2006. It was the tail end of having to be part of an approved college to join, shortly before they opened it to the general public. It was also around the time of one of my more serious attempts to come out to myself. (Gee, I'll read these optional scholarly articles about lesbianism for my sociology class. Cuz, they are interesting. Right. That's why I'm reading them.)

At the time, I felt very uncomfortable with the "Interested in _______" drop down in the About Me section. I mean, I knew lots of people who misinterpreted it back in the day, put down both genders because they are open to friendship with either gender, and then were embarrassed when they learned what it really meant.

I tried many times the the 10+ year sense to put SOMETHING in that blank. I wasn't really interested in men, or at least not enough to post it and feel truthful. I was interested in women, but I could not say that publically, cuz religion and cuz self doubt and self hatred.

The many times that I have attempted to re closet myself to myself, the fact of that section being blank in my profile has helped me stay grounded to myself that I am not straight. If I were straight, or even if I were comfortable with lying about it, I would have ticked the box saying I am interested in men. I never have.

A favorite quote from The Village, which really resonated with my closeted self:

---------- Post added 6th Jun 2016 at 09:46 PM ----------

Or, sometimes, as another character said,

12. 50ishandout

I am dealing with one person who is an Asshole. He will be delt with. For the vast majority people are great and accept me for me.

#32 50ishandout, Jun 6, 2016
  13. faustian1

The Facebook terms of service make clear that Mark Zuckerberg and his Wall Street cronies own everything we post on it.

I don't use it, because I do not consent to Wall Street owning my personal life. I know a lot of lonely people, with hundreds of "friends" on Facebook. It seems to be a colossal waste of human potential.

Forums such as this one are my idea of what social media can be.

#33 faustian1, Jun 6, 2016
  14. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Katch, I'm glad I'm not the only one who was uncomfortable with that box....I always thought, well women, but I was also interested in men for "friendship"(yeah that's what I wanted, sure). This is of course when I was still trying to convince myself I was straight.

I'd been denying being bi for a LONG time, even thought I was a few times(at least once I can clearly remember, back in my early 20's), but then I'd just push it down and "No, you're straight, you don't like guys like that, only girls. Yeah, that box made me uncomfortable.

15. Flatulentius

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I leave "Interested in" off my profile, which, now that you all mention it, is probably a good tell that I'm not straight. Chances are, nonetheless, that none of my straight friends will pick up on that...

16. dirtyshirt84

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think the 'interested in' is there anymore? At least I can't see it (I'm in the UK). I glad FB wasn't around when I was a kid/teenager. I wish EC was around when I was a teenager/in my early 20s though! I only joined FB in 2009.

I think FB has its uses - an easy way to keep in touch with friends and family abroad for one. I wouldn't put too much stock in it though. I should probably be more concerned that Mark Zuckerberg owns all my photos.

17. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I did, back on 8 may. here's the post;

May 8 at 1:05pm ยท

Ok, so this is an open post to everyone on my Friends List. If, at the end of this post you don't feel that you can continue being my friend I will understand but I do ask that you either send me a private message or post on this as to why you are leaving.
    Now, if you've been paying attention to what I post or share, you've no doubt seen that I have been posting/sharing a lot of pro LGBTQ+ things. This is because, not only do I identify with any bullied, oppressed group but because these people are me. I am a Bisexual person, yes that is a real thing. I am moving forward with my life as an authentic person and I am still the same person who I have been yesterday, last week, last year, etc.

Most of you, or all (haha), know that my Divorce was granted on Tuesday past but this has nothing to do with the disillusion of my marriage, these circumstances are well documented.

If any of you has respectful questions or supportive comments to make I am happy to entertain them.

Again, if you feel you cannot continue our interaction on Facebook etc., a simple note is appreciated.

Cheers

18. Gillian

Nope. I wouldn't tell FB anything I wouldn't tell to the random guy who cat calls me on a street, or to an important business contact on a first meeting, or to the crazy guy pissing on the metro seat.

Not because I am ashamed or want to hide but because there is no such thing as privacy when it comes to Facebook. And not all my personal matters belong to the whole world.

19. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    my settings are that 'friends only' can see my posts and shares.

20. Gillian

I stand behind my opinion. Facebook doesn't have privacy. No matter what your settings are.