1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How did/does your School Act towards LGBT?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MrSkittles, Mar 4, 2015.

1. MrSkittles

Im currently a Freshman in High School and I am out to everyone who knows and im not afraid to come out to anyone I meet. My school is a really accepting school towards LGBT. Few people may have a problem with it but 90% of the school don't have a problem with it. How did/does your school act towards LGBT people?

2. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It was a nice place for LGB people, but the administration was terrible for trans people.

They had tons of events in which they would combat homophobia, but none for trans people. There were some out lesbians, but only one gay guy. When I came out, the school refused to use my pronouns or let me use the boy's bathroom.

The students were fine, though.

3. C06122014

C06122014 Guest

My school is very accepting luckily! I am out to those who ask and there are several gay students and lesbian students and actually I'm not sure about transsexual students but I know there are a few and everyone's relatively accepting :slight_smile: I mean I haven't met a homophobe or transphobe or bisexualphobe or a lesbianphobe haha so People are accepting :slight_smile:

4. choirsmash

My school just started a GSA 2 or 3 years ago. It's pretty pathetic. We are in redneck country so there's a lot of hate. We had a trans girl last year (she's in cyber school now) and nobody took her seriously. Her given name was Tyler (she decided to keep it the same, though) and everyone called her T-Rob when she identified as male. When she came out it was a shock and a lot of people bullied her. She's doing better now that she's in cyber school. There are maybe two openly gay guys and one bi guy. They are discriminated against by students. Our staff is pretty accepting, though. Our students are actually more homophobic than the staff. It's my last year there but for the sake of the guys I know, I hope things get better there.

5. EDMJunkie

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm a Freshman as well, and my school is pretty redneck and bigoted. I've been trying to start a GSA, but it won't get off the ground until next year(And I accidentally lost the petitions. I believe either someone took them out of my locker or they fell through to the one below mine somehow). I'm not officially out, but everyone pretty much knows it. Besides me, we have quite a few openly gay students, one that I know is bisexual, and one that might be bisexual or gay, I don't know. Lots of the students and staff go to church on Sunday, and discriminate the rest of the week. They wouldn't dream of picking on me, though, lest they wish to be ambushed by my very protective friends.

6. HighQualityLog

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not that great to say the least. To start off, it's a Catholic all-male school. It's not notorious for being anti-LGBT, but the students seem quite uneducated and the administration is conspicuously heteronormative/heterosexist. It feels kind of alone. But I have a group of friends that are LGBT+ secretly too and we confide in one another. Our morality classes are anti-gay. We learn occasionally about how gay acts are wrong. The students tend to throw gay around as an insult, use slurs, and have a general distrust for gay people. However, I cannot deny that some of their views are evolving.
    TL;DR: Not that great overall. Very silent on LGBT+ representation and issues. Occasional homophobia. :dry:

7. Elendil

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My school district didn't have any resources for LGBT people and it was a subject that was never talked about by the teachers or administrators (as far as I know). It was in a small, rural and conservative town out in the middle of no where. Any one who was gay, bi, or trans were pretty much on their own. Glad I've left that part of my life far behind me!

8. whereamigoing

I go to a private school full of rich kids. Im out to my friends and all the girls seem to be pretty accepting of homosexuality, whereas the guys are all morons (except for the two that hang out with me) and use gay and fag as about 90 percent of their conversation openers. I have a few good teachers and im pretty sure the advanced spanish teacher is also gay. But my biology teacher frequently makes anti lgbt remarks and even jokes. We dont really have any guidelines for the treatment of lgbt kids at my school, but one thing i did notice, is that when i tried to access this site it was blocked for "Rule 34:Homosexuality and Transgender issues" which is total bullshit. Why should a good site be blocked becUse its talking about the gays? And the trans? Wtf? Otherwise, not so much.

9. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We supposedly have a GSA, but no one attends, so it doesn't actually run. And that's it. It's a small town, and homophobia and other fun things are kind of inevitable; it makes sense there isn't much awareness or support for the LGBT community here. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    70% of the school is fine with it or doesn't care, and 30% is homophobic. I don't know how they would react to trans people because I can't remember having one recently, and I'm the only one currently (if there are more, they aren't out yet). Among the teachers, probably 60% is fine with us or doesn't care, and 40% is homophobic.

11. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There were a few openly out kids, and my school was the type where teachers usually glossed over stuff, like a student calling another faggot and stuff. I think a classmate of mine in my junior year was an out bisexual and she had some hell given to her, but I'm not sure in terms of percentages what the place was really like; since only a few people knew I was queer but I didn't come out until well after I graduated.

12. Coffee Guy

Coffee Guy Guest

High School in the 60's, LGBT did not exist as an issue. At college, in highly conservative central California in the 70's, there was one openly gay student. He was the first guy I had sex with. LGBT was never mentioned on campus to the best of my knowledge. Things have changed a bit, haven't they?

13. spw44

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I was lucky I think. I went to a small school, 700 kids grades 6-12 and only 38 in my class, so everyone knew everyone else and we were pretty cool with each other. There were a few openly gay and trans people and they weren't treated differently. We had a GSA, a couple of openly gay teachers, organized events like the Day of Silence, etc. I wasn't ready to come out in high school but if I had been I wouldn't have been afraid to given how accepting people were. That made it easier for me to start coming out in college.

14. FrogCAT

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My school is pretty accepting, we have a GSA but I've never been so I don't know how many people go to it. Just recently I've noticed a girl in my first period has a trans ally button on her bag, I've been meaning to bring it up but I don't know her that well. As for the rest of the students, it's kinda mixed but I'd say most aren't Anti-LGBT , mostly just uneducated. As for the staff, also mixed, we do have a gay teacher and pretty much everyone adores him. Though one teacher is anti-lgbt, because he is Super religious, while I had his class he said some quite offensive things, And he's so religious that even though he's a biology teacher, he refuses to teach evolution properly. Other than him though I think every other teacher is probably pretty accepting/doesn't care. Oh, I just remembered, my school has an anti-discrimination policy that covers a pretty wide range of both lgbt and non-lgbt stuff.

15. Randomcloud

My high school was amazing. I honestly don't understand WHY I didn't come out during high school (well I guess I was just in heavy denial). For instance, one of my gay male friends liked to wear the school skirt (we have school uniforms) instead of pants to school every day and nobody batted an eye. On the contrary, he got some compliments haha. If there would ever be an instance of homophobia, teachers and students in the school would be quick to stamp it out

16. Tudi

My high school was pretty homophobic ( except some people, of course).
    Some people laughed about LGBT, some hated them, some thought LGBT people do not exist ("oh, they are just perverts and losers who can't find a pair or just wanna be not like others"). It was strange. What's wrong with them? I don't know. Some teachers were not better. We even were told once that homosexuality is a disease ( Hey, why can't I have some privileges in this case? I'm a chronically ill one!). My teacher of history always said something bad about LGBT and thought they are crazy.
    Such a nice school, guys!
    I'm happy it's over.

17. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not sure. Think there was one openly gay guy but there might have been others. No GSA or anything like that as far as I'm aware. Things may have changed in the nearly four years since I was last in school.

18. choirsmash

Haha same! I can't tell if it's because he's gay or if it's because he is literally the sweetest guy on earth. Either way, he's like a celebrity.

19. MrSkittles

My School is kinda like that. We have a GSA and we do have a Day of Silence which is coming up.

20. BiPenguin

I attended an all boys high school conducted by Christian Brothers.

There were no openly gay boys. There are some we felt we just knew were gay. Funnily enough, there were parents who sent their boys to this school because they were gay as they were getting a difficult time at an other high school and the Brothers would look out for them. At the same time, being pointed out as gay was to be marked to be beaten up.