1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is lack of intelligence a deal breaker in a relationship?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by QueerTransEnby, Feb 3, 2015.

?

Is lack of intelligence or lower intelligence a deal breaker in a relationship?

Poll closed Apr 4, 2015.
  1. Yes

53 vote(s)
    54.1%
  2. Maybe

23 vote(s)
    23.5%
  3. No

16 vote(s)
    16.3%
  4. Not sure

6 vote(s)
    6.1%
  1. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope, because intelligence and how it's measured are very subjective and arbitrary. Some people express themselves more visually, than in words, or with their hands, in skills and trades. I've always been something of an intellect, but I never needed to have another intellectual for a partner...would rather have somebody who contrasted/complemented my own strengths. Plus, there's so many things about a person that can't be measured (intuition, empathy), that I can't see where this one trait would be a deal-breaker, unless they were also mean-spirited, or something, in addition.

I'd rather go out with a person who wasn't the brightest but was kind, understanding and humble, than somebody who was intelligent, but mean, arrogant and lacked empathy. And one does see this...

#61 HuskyPup, Feb 4, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  2. Lyana

I think it only becomes a dealbreaker when one of the people looks down on the other one for their "lack of intelligence." In that case the problem is with the person who believes themselves to be more intelligent, not the "less intelligent" one. I don't believe a relationship where one partner believes themselves to be superior is a healthy one.

3. MisterTinkles

Seeing as I find intelligence and the knowledge on how to use it properly EXTREMELY sexy and seductive..........I would say yes, it is a deal breaker.

BUT............

There is a difference between someone who has not learned something yet, someone who is mentally deficient, and someone who is just too freeking lazy to learn anything.

I do not have the patience to handle mentally deficient people, it would get on my nerves and I would end up being mean to them.

I have absolutely NO patience what so ever for ANYONE who is too freeking damned lazy to use their brains for anything.....which is an epidemic on this planet right now, and getting worse.

Someone who doesn't know something yet and is willing to learn more, I have no problem with. Even though I would prefer someone of a higher intelligence than me, I know I will never attract anyone like that. So if someone who is a willing learner was to ever be interested in me, I would certainly not mind getting to know them a lot more.

4. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I certainly wasn't trying to marginalize anyone who just went to high school and not past that point. I am sorry if it came off that way. I realize there are plenty of high school grads that have been successful in life, my dad for one.

There are plenty of people who have a higher emotional IQ than me. I realize it is an area of weakness personally in my life.

5. soulcatcher

Indeed; most people do not need somebody above the average degree of intelligence.