1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Terrorist attack on French satirical newspaper Charlie Hebdo

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by gazwkd, Jan 7, 2015.

1. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Murdering someone over a satirical cartoon is inexcusable. Nobody is being forced to read Charlie Hebdo; if they're offended, they can simply choose to read something else. The whole situation is akin to people being murdered over an episode of South Park. Censoring others because what they're saying is deemed offensive is already bad enough, but to think that someone (well, 2 someones) would actually kill over something like this... And even if the magazine was wrong to publish those cartoons, it would still be a very minor infraction compared to what those extremists did to exact retribution on them.

2. FrenchKid98

I was at the Paris demonstration and wow is all I gotta say. So I might be a bit biased because all I had experienced were the tiny protests in Luxembourg but still everyone agrees that was a one of a kind demo in Paris.

I will try to come back to this thread and post a couple pics :slight_smile:

3. Gallatin

I'm quite disappointed that nobody of a high-profile was there to represent the U.S. at the march. I can understand that due to security concerns, it would've been difficult for the president to attend (though that didn't stop many other well-known leaders), but I would've thought they could've sent Biden or Kerry. Heck, Holder was in Paris and he couldn't even bother to make an appearance. I'm hoping that behind-the-scenes, we're giving our support to France in every way possible, but we missed a great opportunity to publicly demonstrate our commitment to France and the values that we hold so dear in western civilization.

4. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The White House has already admitted that it was a mistake to do so, so I'd be all for giving them a pass, especially as the US is most certainly involved behind the scenes.

5. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sure the American embassy and its staff have been doing their utmost in support of France. I would let it slide; there was certainly no malice in it and an apology came fairly quickly.

6. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The pope made this comment in his statement about the attacks.

7. JustKat

Religion aside, I think these attacks were sickening.

There is one thing I do not understand though, truthfully before these attacks I had never even heard of this magazine. I know in their culture/religion making fun of Mohammad is basically one of the highest forms of blasphemy that one can commit but was killing those worth it? Now more people will see that cartoon! The reasoning and justification behind the attack just confuses me.

8. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

#68 gazwkd, Jan 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2015
  9. Gallatin

Stay calm, y'all. No personal attacks or insults are permitted, no matter the situation. If you have an issue with someone's post, report it. If you want to address something someone said, do so in a respectful manner.

And please, stay on topic.

10. NaomiB

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    #70 NaomiB, Jan 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  11. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Eh... not a fan of all of this "let's draw Mohammed!" stuff. What comes out of that is often depressingly un-funny, and mainly aimed to piss people off.

What I did like in the new issue, though, is some of the cartoons immediately turning round and sending a big middle finger to the same people marching in the "Je Suis Charlie" manifestations. Because even those people deserve to be ruthlessly mocked!

(spoilered for size, also... obviously in French and requires some background knowledge of French politics here and there)
    Pros and cons of surviving horrifying terrorist attacks:
    [​IMG]

"Though one set of clowns was murdered, a lot of clowns flocked to Paris:
    [​IMG]

12. Eleanor Rigby

This is who were Charb, Cabu, Wolinski and Tignous. Just talented cartoonists who were defending their ideas with pictures. By the way, the original video was their participation for the french charity "Clowns sans frontières".

The song is from the french band Tryo who were friends of Tignous.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNpOz44RM20

13. NaomiB

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yeah I guess I should have put a warning for the Let's Draw Mohammad Link I posted earlier:

Warning: Don't actually look at the majority of the artwork posted on the Let's Draw Muhammad reddit page unless you enjoy looking at pics of Mohammad penises. ...Just post, don't look.

Post something classy or respectful(or not) like this perhaps:
    http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a611/QuinnQuiver/charliehebdo4_zps3bc3080e.png

Draw Muhammed Contest! : TAAOfficial

#74 NaomiB, Jan 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  14. Kizz

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What truly astounds me here, is that these were known people. They were on no-fly lists. They were being tracked, up until at least mid 2014, for being suspected extremists. And yet, this still happened. Despite us knowing they were too dangerous to put on a plane.

Absolutely baffling. How is that even a thing that can happen?

15. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is a huge difference between putting someone on a watch list and having someone shadowed 24/7.

So yeah: the French Intelligence service (which is actually known to be quite efficient and competent in these matters) knew about them. They were in databases so alerts would pop up if they took a flight or did any of a myriad other suspect things (I'm assuming things like suspect money transfers, or long long-distance phonecalls to Yemen).
    That should stop most large-scale organised attacks.

But that still doesn't stop them from meeting up with a friend in a park, arranging to buy an AK-47, and driving to a building in a nondescript part of town and shooting 12 people. That flies under the radar.

Then why weren't they shadowed full-time? First off: it takes an enormous amount of manpower to do so. We're talking 5 or 6 people full-time per person you're shadowing. Even if there's only a couple hundred potentially dangerous people in France, that means thousands upon thousands of people would be busy shadowing them on a daily basis. And most of these are just types with rather unsavoury opinions, not the ones who will start shooting.

So: they're probably keeping tabs on a lot of people. In this case, they decided they were a potential liability, but not an explosion hazard (so to speak).
    Also: authorities do have to take care that they don't act without sufficient proof. "We think you might be a terrorist" is not enough proof for the secret services to pull out all stops and go after you with everything they have.

I am quite sure that right now, many people are doing overtime on finding out what clues could have told them that something was up, so they can avoid situations like this in the future.

16. LoneWolfRunner

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm proud of the amount of people on the streets. Alone in France there were about 2.5 million people protesting against terrorism, in memory of the victims and as a reminder of the fact that freedom of opinion is alowed in France. I'm also glad Politicians are involving themselves in the topic as well...

17. NaomiB

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Je Suis Charlie!

....censored.... [​IMG]

....uncensored.... [​IMG]

Charlie Hebdo front cover live: 'Survivors' issue' sells out as five million copies fly off the shelves

.......I would like to buy the Jan 14 issue they should print even more than 5 million copies
    ....that cover image is the perfect image for free speech conquering fear and terrorism while still being respectful to muslims.

18. NaomiB

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian