1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I feel like I need to throw up

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by SomeLeviathan, Dec 29, 2014.

1. SomeLeviathan

Trigger warning: discussion of rape and victim blaming

So today someone told one of my friends who was the vctim of sexual assault that he "doubted it actually happened because you didn't report it to the police, and rape is a crime, so you would have reported it to the police".

despite giving this person links to RAINN on rape reporting rates (as well as FBI data and other Justice department surveyes and studies) they seem adament that if someone doesn't report their rape it didn't happen.

I'm just really upset as a victim of sexual assault myself and could use some reassurence and support.

2. Yosia

Wow that is disgusting. There is so many cases of sexual assault which go unheard of because people are too afraid or ashamed to tell people, so how can someone say that 'it didn't happen' when they know nothing about the person? >.<

3. Eleanor Rigby

Well, to put it simply, the person who told that to your friend is an asshole.
    There are plenty of reasons why a victim from sexual assault wouldn't or couldn't report the aggression to the police : fear, shame, distress, traumatism.... In fact, there are plenty of victims who never report the assault and even never talk about it.
    Your friend and yourself have been very brave for opening up about what happened to you. And you've been even braver trying to educate this so insensitive person who told your friend those horrible things. No if they don't want to listen and educate themselves, that's their problem not yours, and you definitely don't need such a douchebag in your life.

Take care (*hug*) , Cécile

4. AKTodd

My sisters mom worked for years with Alaska's major anti-rape organization. The person who told you this is a willfully ignorant fool.

I'm very sorry you and your friend are having to go thru this. (*hug*)

Todd

5. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I echo this comment