1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mum's extremely bad comment

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Justinian20, Dec 6, 2014.

1. Justinian20

Now for all of you here, I just wanted to present a little thing my mother said which was very out of context. She said that the people on this site are pretending to be gay and pretending to be lesbians and bisexuals and transgender people. She also has the reasoning of that because of specific things happening on internet sites.

Now I never believed this because why on earth would I believe you all are pretending. I mean some people are suspicious but those people it is quite clear by what they post is when it becomes suspicious.

What do you guys and gals think about this above comment. I personally thought she was misunderstanding everything and she doesn't realize that I find it hard to talk to others in real life because I am quiet and shy when it comes to meeting new people in real life. But when I think back it was kind of ignorant for my mother to think that of this site.

2. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I, for one, am not pretending :lol:

But it would not surprise me if a very very small population might be, and that's only to have a bit of a laugh, which would be obnoxious. I only suggest that it is a possibility because I had a friend in university that would go onto forums and mess about, although, to this day, I think he is gay and just has not come to terms with it.

3. Calix

... I'm confused. Why on earth would we pretend? :confused: Sounds similar to when someone tells me I made a 'choice' being this way (Ughh to those people).

4. danielo21

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    haha well I don't think I am pretending... am I? bah your mother not being very familiar with gay people's situation + getting used to you being gay + being from other generation not really familiar with the internet and this is the result.

5. Clay

Sounds like she wants to make you feel paranoid and alone for some reason.

6. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Why would people even pretend to be on here? What would even be the point of straight people being on here needing advice?

7. EDMJunkie

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh trust me, I'm certainly not pretending.

It kind of sounds like she majorly lacks understanding(Not that you haven't tried to explain stuff like this to her). Maybe she needs more exposure to the LGBT+ community and persons. The Internet is not a good place to use as a reference.

8. The Virgo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Last time i checked i had a dick and i like dick

9. shinji

shinji Guest

Sounds a lot like how my mom reacted to the whole "coming out" thing.

My best guess is that she simply does not understand the situation and is grasping at straws, being cynical, so as to stay on the safe side, while she makes quick assumptions, to fill in the gaps caused by her lack of knowledge.

If i'm not mistaken, there is a "For Parents" section on the website. Maybe print it out for her, so she can better understand what the site is all about.

I'm also guessing she is not very tech savvy?

10. whereamigoing

Oh no my totally fake internet ai software has crashed. stupid straight people, thinking someone would find us out eventually im crashing xyrtfkmfunftovdtobdrtgbivfevjoghkc78:3489(5531289754366438958) boot up accepted, welcome back to fake gay ai for ec, please program me as a nonheterosexual of your choice.

11. AnnoNemus

That doesn't make any sense to me. I can't think of anything anyone could hope to gain by pretending to not be straight, especially in an anonymous setting like this.

12. thekillingmoon

Ask her if she's pretending to be straight.

13. Angelus

Angelus Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    No. who would choose to possibly be hurt or bullied their entire life? Due to ignorance?

No one.

I hid under the veil of a Beautiful female model type. For 19 YEARS. Long time.

Finally came out at 21 as a Transgender FTM. Toughest, but most liberating journey ever, Its full of anxiety, tears, pain, and pressure to be what I am not to please others.

No one chooses their path in life, we are blessed with it, its a Gift. That's why we call it the present.

14. Mith

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I guess that a lot of people who doesn't know the forums think the same, my parents too are very distrustful about the people on internet. Every time I said that I meet someone in the Internet they say things like "you can not know who are you talking to". That's true but I don't say my name, address, I never date nobody from Internet. They seem to think that the only people in the Internet are maniacs that pretend all the time.

15. Justinian20

She's actually more tech savvy than most people her age and all her friends but for me she's not very tech savvy because she needs me to do simple things using the computer for her. But, hey she thinks that based off dating sites and all that junk someone is going to turn up at my house and also ask for money, this is more based off news stories and I'm like "Really, you think the entire world of the internet is a bunch of people sitting at a computer trying to scam or hook up with everyone, you need to realize and recognize that not many people are like that on the internet, those people are a minority."

16. shinji

shinji Guest

I actually am inclined to agree with her on this one, maybe not to such extremes and only when it comes to dating websites. You can never be too safe around those. Never give out personal information, always meet up in public and make sure to get to know a person, as much as you can, before initiating contact on a more personal level.

I've had the misfortune of having a person from a dating site, call my home phone, which my dad ended up picking up. Barely managed to smooth things over as i was not out at the time and was ~15 years old. Always be careful about how much information you share online, as it is quite easy to find people, with how open social networks are.

17. Justinian20

I am careful with things like dating sites and giving out information over the internet, but she seems to be like carrying that over to forums like this one. I understand all that and I follow it like I'm not going to post private info over any forum or website.

18. TheSeeker

Damn, she found me out. I am actually a mole sent here by the pinko-commie liberals in the USA. My mission is to convert as many people as possible to the light of gayness and ensure Democratic victory in our next elections... I'm actually straight, and it's all a huge conspiracy!!

Tell your mom I have some Kool-aid for her...

(J/K, I'm HELLA gay... Even my boyfriend thinks so!)

19. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This reminds me of what my sister said. She said my disablity was not enough to get attention so I decided to say I am gay for more attention. It was pathetic and your mom's comments are pathetic let alone don't even make sense.

20. robotman