1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

14-Year-Old Boy, Commits Suicide After Gay Bullying

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Bowie, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Mercy

Mercy Guest

2. Kanen

Oh god his It Gets Better video...

"They don't ever want me to die."

No, we didn't, sweetheart. And I promise - I swear - I will fight to make this world a better place. You will not have die in vain. I will fight to make this a world worthy of such a beautiful person as you.

3. Mercy

Mercy Guest

Omg im bawling now

4. Raeil

I just saw on Facebook that he had an It Gets Better video. I... honestly I don't know how to react at this point. The world is worse for every child that takes their own life due to bullying, but to lose one who had hope, and one that knew it would get better... May he rest in peace, and may the world take another harsh lesson on the consequences of othering.

:,,(

5. TheRoof

UGH this kind of thing just makes me SO mad and fucking angry. Why is it so hard to get along and not hurt other people? Why do some people just don't fucking care about other people? This is just not fair. I know life isn't fair, but that boy shouldn't have died. This could have been prevented. But oh no wait, this is America. We don't care about children because it takes too much fucking money to invest in anti-bullying programs in public schools and educate kids so that prejudice and ignorance are fixed. :***:that s:***::tantrum::tantrum:

6. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I couldn't help but to break down after watching his "it gets better" video.

7. JudgeDredd

^this :tears:

8. bookworm43

bookworm43 Guest

Jamey...you were just a kid. The world is changing right before our eyes; couldn't you have given it more time? More time the world surely doesn't deserve...but you could have gotten so much out of life. There was so much left for you. Jesus, why'd you have to go and do that...and I understand why, and yet I still don't understand how your hope abandoned you so soon after your video. I wonder; would we have been friends, if we'd known each other? I know it's a silly thing to wonder, but I can't help but imagine what life would have been like if you decided to grace the world with one more chance. It's too late for that now I guess, so all there's left to say is this: you will still be mourned, long after you are gone. And not just by the people who knew you.

9. SiberianHusky

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i feel the pain he went through... and im still going through it.. but i wish i could have known him so i could have given him a hug and tell him things get better... and i will never let him be alone because no one should ever have to go through what im going through. (thus the name lonewolf...) i find it sick that people do crap like bullying others for somthing as foolish as this! how many people must die before we all understand what others are going through?!? he was 14 the same age as me!!! some times i really want to :***: slap someone to knock some god :***: sence into them!!

10. Sylver

That's what drives me crazy when I see this happen. This is so friggin unnecessary!!

How the people around us make us feel is much more about US than it is about THEM. If someone tells me that being gay is wrong and I should die because of it, I can take that two ways. I can take that as an affirmation that I'm abnormal and a freak and worthless and that this world would be better off without me, or I can take it as a commentary on how shallow and sad this person is and they are revealing it to me and to the whole world through their ignorant words, and they are not worth my time. It's all about perspective, my own perspective.

The problem is that life can really suck at the age of 14 because we're just starting to develop our own independent identities, and some of us can have trouble with this. We can be insecure with ourselves, with who we are and why we're here, with the concepts of "normal" and "abnormal", and that makes us susecptible to listening to the opinions of others and taking them to heart. Those with strong identities can shrug it off. Those with insecurities can actually start to internalize and believe what others say, and then the downward spiral begins.

The crazy part is that it DOES get better with time; I can say that from experience. Once you get over the mountain to the other side, your whole perspective changes. If someone has a problem with my sexual orientation, that's THEIR problem, not mine. They don't have any bearing on who I am - I control that. I used to be ashamed of being gay, now I'm PROUD and I'll tell that to anyone. I used to hide the fact that I was gay, now I tell people up front. I used to care what they think of me being gay, but now I really don't give a shit. I used to internalize what they thought of me and what they said about me, but now I realize that they are just spewing empty words from their mouths that have no power and no basis in reality. They aren't telling me who I am, they are telling me that they are narrow-minded and rather sad excuses for human beings. When they call me a f*g, they are telling me a whole lot more about them then they are telling me about me.

It DOES get better, but that is almost impossible to believe when you're 14 and you're insecure and you're uncomfortable with your identity and your sexuality. It's impossible to believe when the whole world seems to want you to die because of who you are. The true statistics tell a whole different story - probably 98% of the people in the world really don't care whether you're gay or not, 1.9% are actually thrilled that you're gay, and then there's the 0.1% who are offended by your sexuality and would rather that you're dead. The problem is that insecure people will listen to the 0.1% of the world rather than the 99.9%. To an objective observer, that's some screwed-up math, but I know exactly how it feels because I used to be there myself.

This has to end. I don't think we can silence, censor or prosecute away the idiots who will put us down, so I think we should focus our efforts on strengthening the insecure among us. Let's make it known to all people, from age 1 and up, that it's ok to be gay. Let's also teach every child that their identities are their own, and that while some people will try to take us down, their words have no power whatsoever if we don't give them any. Let's actually make building self-confidence a part of our school pograms. Let's form alliances in ALL schools that show gay kids that there are MANY supportive straight kids in their world. Let's identify kids with particularly weak self-images and work on them to build them into strong and proud human beings who can shrug off the opinions of others if they want to. Let's give them the tools and the power to end bullying.

I think we as a society do a lousy job of raising emotionally secure children. It's nuts when our school system cares more about SAT's and grades than preparing our children for life. Let's change that. :thumbsup:

11. Same here :frowning2:
    It's absolutely sickening that stuff like this still happens in the 21st century...

12. someguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know how the pain feels that Jamey felt, I think most of us here have felt it at some stage of our lives. Its disgusting what happened to him, it makes me sad and angry. I think they should introduce criminal charges for the behaviour of bullies who push someone to taking their own life, because they pretty much in one or another murdered him. I hope that there will be a day where people are able to be themselves and not be bullied for it.

RIP Jamey.

13. British Lad

British Lad Guest

I just watch his video, and that was the most sad and moving things I have ever seen

14. JudasKissedHIM

Yeah and sadly there are more deaths to follow. It always gets worse from now to December. :bang:

15. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been touched by suicide because of bullying, lost a good friend to it. The thing though right now...that infuriates me the most are not the bigots, they're idiots, and frankly only some of them will change. To be honest what infuriates me the most are the people who just don't care, who see bullying as something that will never end. The director of the musical I'm in this year, and frankly the President of the improv troupe at my school, they're the same guy to be clear, yesterday bullying was brought up at the table at the pub we were at (no one was drunk), and basically this guy went into this long winded speech about how reactions to bullying are ridiculous, and while people can stop it it will never actually end, blah blah blah. Yeah it won't end, not with people like you having that thought process. (I know it may indeed never end, bullying is something that's been as far back as David vs Goliath....if that actually happened lol, but that doesn't mean you actually have to believe it never will. But then when he was talking about how he had dealt with bullying in high school and elementary and he made it through because he was strong, it pissed me off. I then asked him what about those who don't make it through, the ones who unfortunately commit suicide, and he flat out said "they're cowards". I wanted to punch him in the face, toss my drink in his face, whatever, the only reasons I didnt was I wouldn't want to be banned from that pub, and also cause I'm going to work under him for this play anyway...he's the director after all. Oh and also because then I'd technically be a bully in that aspect. But people like him just make me mad, they go around saying shit like this and it just makes me furious. I mean he said he teaches kids for like soccer and such sometimes, and when he sees bullying, he "stops it" and then pulls the bully aside and insults their intelligence. Sorry BUT THAT'S BULLYING! It just amazes me people like him are in this world, and I'm truly glad frankly that I'm almost done at King's, so I never have to see his smug ass of a face again....unless he does indeed go into politics and then I get to see him again being smug and one of those lovely corrupt politicians, because I think we can agree, it's his type who wind up corrupt.

---------- Post added 23rd Sep 2011 at 01:22 PM ----------

Sorry for the rant...but I hadn't really expressed my anger fully and just really needed to vent

16. maverick

Anyone who says suicides are cowards is an irreparable asshole.

NOBODY is in a position to judge suicides unless they have been suicidal themselves. And even then, nobody knows how badly someone feels to push them to the point that they feel death is a better alternative than living agony. No human currently has that level of empathic ability.

As someone who has crept to the very edge of despair and looked down more times than I can count, I don't even know how I would have responded to this guy, but it probably would have gotten me kicked out of the pub.

17. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Glad I'm not being overdramatic about it....and as for the dude, he loves getting under my skin, we've had this ongoing toleration of each other but yeah his not liking me half the time I don't understand..

18. closetedafraid

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all

It's so horrible! This has got to stop, gay bullying has got to becoe illegal. I cried when I read the articles and watched Jamey's videos. I wish something could have ben done about it just goes too far. :icon_sad: It's ashame how people start to listen when something tragic like death happens. People should LISTEN and RESPECT others!