1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best to wait to come out in person?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Mr Pilgrim, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Mr Pilgrim

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Just joined so I guess this is an intro as well. This site has been so useful in starting to come out so I thought I should finally join up.

I just really wanted to see what people thought on this. One of my closest friends from back in school doesn't live round here anymore, and although he's back every other weekend or so even then I still might not see him. When I do were still ded good friends even though I don't see him much now, and we'll talk online still.

But I'm very aware that the more I come out, the more chances there are of him finding out from someone else, which I would hate, I'm sure he'd be fine with it, but I know I should tell him myself.

So, question I wanted to ask was, is it best to come out to your friends in person, even if it means waiting to do it? And has anyone came out to their friends online? I've only ever came out in person, I might of been kinda awkward at times (ok really awkward), but it always felt like it was the best way, so should I wait?

2. NoLeafClover

If it's urgent, then I don't see a problem telling him online. I told my brother online when he was in the military. The urgency there was that he would sooner than later be deployed to Iraq, and I needed to tell him.

I would have rather done it in person and endured any awkwardness. Not sure why, but it's always felt like the better thing to do, personally.

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC! :wave: In person is best if it's convenient. If it isn't, there's nothing wrong with other methods. Why not simply call him and tell him?

Lex