1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Republicans block bill to lift military gay ban

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by mydogstewie, Sep 21, 2010.

1. mydogstewie

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_gays_military

2. Leon481

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So it officially got turned down today, huh?:bang: I'm not surprised considering they added that stupid defense bill to keep it from getting passed. Now probably wasn't the right time anyway, but even so, it's hard seeing it turned down.

It'll happen eventually though, I'm hoping sometime in the next couple of years.

3. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sigh.....idiocy at it's best -_- And we can only hope Leon. If Palin somehow wins in 2012, it'll never be repealed...

4. Just Adam

:frowning2: equality really doesent matter to politicians... they only people they represent is their bank manager

5. Emberstone

I wanna know what you are smoking to think palin 2012 is even plasuable. you get her on the ticket, and the independents will flock to the democrats.

whatever it is, it must be some really primo dope.

6. excuseyou77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm so shocked. Not.

7. Emberstone

Impeach john mccain. he said he would support repeal if the military heads said it should be repealled... that happened ages ago, and now he refuses to. he is pandering to the 20% of america who have their heads up in their asses, instead of the 80% that say it should be repealled.

8. ANightDude

Impeached for what? He hasn't done any crime. Just because he has an opinion we don't agree with doesn't mean he should lose his job he's been doing for decades.

9. Leon481

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Dear god that is a terrifying thought.

Does anyone even take her seriously though? She seems to be the single most ridiculed Vice Presedential candidate in history. She's widely regarded as an idiot, isn't she?

The sad thing is, I could see her winning off of fame alone, and that thought terrifies me, for both the country and the people who would be dumb enough to vote for her. They say the world will end in December of 2012. Maybe this is how.

#9 Leon481, Sep 21, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  10. frostreaver

^ I won't call her an idiot. She knows she has a very large sheeple fan base that will gobble up everything she does and she's taking advantage of it and securing her financial future for herself and her family.

With regards to the original topic, unsurprising considering that the democrats ninja-ed other bills into it. It was doomed from the start.

11. Adam

Isn't it supposed to be repealed soon after they finish that report on how its going to affect the military? Which is due in December.
    How does this affect that I am not sure exactly.

12. RedState

The report from The Pentagon is due December 1st. What effect that will have is anyone guess.

Harry Reid's "disappointment" reminds me of Claude Raines in "Casablanca" when he shouts: "I am shocked...SHOCKED...to find that gambling is going on here"..just as the Roulette 'dealer' hands him his winnings.

Sen. Reid knew the votes were not there. As Bill Clinton's former gay rights advisor said today: "This is a political train wreck".

The amendment process was screwed from the beginning. The DREAM Act was the final nail in the coffin. Should this had not been batted about, and Reid been a little more cooperative with the Amendment process he would have certainly picked up Collins and probably Snowe.

It was his responsibility to secure the votes of Lincoln and Pryor....but both being from Arkansas I'm not surprised by their votes. Murkowski did note vote....I guess she's too busy handing out No. 2 pencils in preparation for her write in campaign.

13. OutToSea

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I wouldn't say it's about his opinion. It's about him refusing to stand behind all of the Constitution. McCain claims to be such a big advocate and lover of the Constitution, yet the part that he mainly defends is State's Rights. :/

14. Danielle

Danielle Guest

That headline is severly misleading.

Democrats voted against the legislation as well.

15. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Can we PLEASE stop with the 2012 thing -_- it's old now. It's gotten to the overused point so there really is no point behind it anymore....

As for Palin winning, I'm not smoking anything I just thought she probably would get on the ballot through fame alone. But who knows :S

16. Danielle

Danielle Guest

I think the dissimal of Sarah Palin as a legitimate contender is highly arrogant.

You should never underestimate your opponent, all parties that have underestimated their opponent have regretted it.

17. This doesn't matter at all. It will still be repealed within the next couple months if Obama really does care about us at all. I doubt he does, but maybe he can surprise me. If he doesn't, then he can kiss my ass. If he wanted to, he could repeal it TODAY.

18. seadog

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    What about Dingy Harry Ried. He sponsored the DATD bill, added the flash-point AMNESTY immigration provisions, then voted AGAINST the bill to prevent it from coming out of committee. Its funny how we as humans like to jump to conclusions and let our own biases take over. I wish we would clean the system by required one subject per bill. period. each bill gets processed on its own merits. only then will the devils be unable to hide and confuscate issues & positions, and promote a climate of ad hominem attacks.

Then, of course, with Harry Ried and TWO other Dems voting AGAINST the bill progressing, the POPULAR PRESS reports the very Headline repeated at the top of this thread. Long live the spinners!

---------- Post added 22nd Sep 2010 at 08:04 AM ----------

CORRECT! Takes no act of congress, unless you were trying to avoid taking responsibility for your own beliefs. Surly that is not possible, c'est non?

#18 seadog, Sep 22, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  19. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>The amendment process was screwed from the beginning. The DREAM Act was the final nail in the coffin. Should this had not been batted about, and Reid been a little more cooperative with the Amendment process he would have certainly picked up Collins and probably Snowe.

Was this even about overturning DADT? My personal belief was that it was a political stratagem by the left. They're facing a bloodbath of historic proportions come November, and right now, they're looking for anything to help bolster their cause. And one of the best ways to do that is to demonize the other side. Had DADT been overturned, the Democrats would've gotten a feeble feather to put in their cap. (One that was due in no small part to some GOP cooperation.) Not much mileage there. But since it failed, they can use it as a rallying cry. "We almost got it done. If the GOP takes control, you can kiss your rights goodbye."

Lex

20. Emberstone

it is not important that sarah palin has a following in the far right. what is important is that the rest of the republican party generally views her as a celebrity, but nothing more. why do you think she is not being bantered around as a serious canidate for the 2012 repulican presidential nominee, by the republican establishment no less? instead, they are throwing support behind cannidates like romney and pawlenty, who actually have political experince. sarah palin was a city council member and mayor constantly having to backtrack, and then became gov. and never even served a full term.

pointing out her unelectability is not arrogance. arrogance is thinking someone who doesnt even have broad conservative support is going to win the presidency.

on the john mccain issue, he made a direct promise that if the miltiary leaders said that they wanted DADT repealed (it happened, mccain, why are you ignoring your promise, and pretending you never said it?), then he would vote to repeal it. he deferred to the military brass. they advocated for its repeal, and he ignored the miltiary leaders.

---------- Post added 22nd Sep 2010 at 09:34 AM ----------

actually, a executive order is not a solution. he cant repeal the law, and stopping enforcement doesnt fix the problem, because executive orders can reversed. the only way to fix the situation is to repeal the law, and presidents do not have the legal or constitutional authorities to do that without the legislature.