1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Americans are NOT stupid!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Lady Gaga, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

LOL WOW! I thought everyone knew that Puerto Rico was near Maine but apparently not! XD Stupid people! I am joking..

2. Moth

I think, personally, that the problem is not that people who are so ignorant are dumb or incapable of learning, nessecarily, they just don't have any desire for knowledge. And I will admit that the problem is probably larger in the US. That and I think people are very poorly informed here. Instead of picking up a newspaper or something they just go by what they hear other people say.

3. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

This is a very good point.

I mean really, I guarantee 99% of the people who are against universal health care have no idea what it really would do. The other 1% just don't like democrats.

4. Moth

It's the same with everything. Most peoples' opinions are based on their friends' and family's opinions. You know, I actually saw an article in the newspaper about the Tea Party, and how most people surveyed who say they agree with it also said they don't really know what it is or what it stands for.

5. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  6. Amy

Amy

SMH AT MY COUNTRY.

Not every US American is this ignorant, but many are.
    From what I have seen, we are the most ignorant nation. TBH, I blame it on our shit education.

In a lot of US public schools, the things asked in this video are never taught. If they are, then they are mentioned only a few times over our twelve grades of required education.

7. Johnnieguy

I am willing to bet the answers are real, but the creator only selected the dumb answers. Someone did this at my college and posted it to YouTube, but took it down after so many people cried foul. (Their fault for being dumb in my opinion, but whatever).

Some of the questions were so easy too...Ie, Who is Nelson Mandela? Where is Iraq? HELLO! Iraq is on the news every single night. Don't you ever pay any attention?

I'm also surprised at people who don't know who the Speaker of the House is, people who don't know who their representative is, etc.

8. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey, I may be a stupid American, but even I know there's only one I in "idea", and that it's spelled "New Zealand". I'm assuming the guy doing the closed-captioning must be American, then?

Lex

9. Meropspusillus

I bet I could go to any country in the world, interview 500 people on the street, and I could find 10-20 completely stupid people so that I could create a montage about how dumb that country was.

I mean, it's pretty bad, and America is really bad compared to other countries and we need to take action to keep ourselves more informed. But really I don't think Americans are that much dumber than other people...though there is definitely a stronger feeling of apathy about the rest of the world than you'd find elsewhere. (Don't worry that'll change once we stop being a superpower.)

10. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The more I think about this, about the interactions I have on the phone with customer service reps, about the interactions I have with retail employees, managers, and just random people... I really do think that people are dumb. And I live in northern California, not some state in the deep south with a reputation for poor education.

Things have changed pretty drastically in the past 10 or 15 years. The smart people are still out there, but I think that "average" people have gotten way, way less educated in the past 10+ years.

11. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    stupidity is not the issue. Insular and apathetic culture is.

12. xequar

Ah, but he doesn't really go outside, per say. He broadcasts his radio show from his studio IN HIS HOUSE!

13. Just Adam

see hes a robot...he needs to be by a recharge point at all times.

14. Davy

Scotland (That's the bit with hills & rain)

:lol: Some great answers.

Will take your word for it, it's always been a bit of a stereotype that Americans are insular. Just never paid much attention to stereotypes.

15. Zumbro

I saw this, and I was going to come here and argue about how stupid most americans really are. Then I got really sad, because I'm an american, and I think my country is full of stupid people. D:

16. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Americans are stupid. But the rest of the world isn't much better.

I'm sure they edited out the 99% of correct/intelligent answers out.

I don't know what the "Coalition of the willing" is though.

LOL @ United States of America starting with a U.... I first thought of Uganda... USA didn't even come to mind...

----------

I think this is appropriate.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj3iNxZ8Dww[/YOUTUBE]

17. Eric

This reminded me of an old segment on This Hour Has 22 Minutes (a Canadian comedy show) called Talking To Americans where Rick Mercer (a funny guy) asked Americans about different "World Events" to poke fun at America's ignorance of the rest of the world.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhTZ_tgMUdo[/YOUTUBE]

Terrible quality but it's still funny to see. And some real smart people look real stupid. =P

18. MusicIsLife

Its not just Americans, I met someone once who tried to tell me that Sea Cucumber was a vegetable.

19. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>Things have changed pretty drastically in the past 10 or 15 years. The smart people are still out there, but I think that "average" people have gotten way, way less educated in the past 10+ years.

I think the main thing that has changed over the past few decades is not that people have become dumber, but that they've become prouder of their ignorance. It used to be that people would feel ashamed by what they didn't know. I recall people admitted that they hadn't finished high school or college, and many of them going to night school in order to get that degree that proved elusive. Now, I'm much more likely to encounter people who proudly say they dropped out of school because "they didn't need it", and are proud of what they accomplished without being "brainwashed" by the government and their schools.

Lex

20. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh and here's WHY americans are stupid. :slight_smile:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acLW1vFO-2Q[/YOUTUBE]