1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Argentina and Canada are starting to look pretty damn good right about now

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by travelinsoul21, Jul 16, 2010.

1. I mean, just saying, but seriously, our government (that is, the US Government) needs to step up to the plate and take the reins and give us full and equal rights on something that could someday be compared to as the next Emancipation Proclamation, the next 19th amendment, something huge. I love my country, but I don't love feeling like a 2nd class citizen because I'm gay. Other countries have things way better than we do, and I'm not afraid to say this, I would leave and go to another country that would recognize me as an ordinary human being with full rights to everything, regardless of whether I love a man or not. Something needs to be done RIGHT NOW. Something bigger than DADT. It's great that part of the DOMA was ruled unconstitutional. Take it to the Supreme Court. Get it done and over with. It's no wonder the USA isn't leading the world anymore, the Government has stepped down. For the USA to truly be the world leader, among many other things, they need to be a LEADER in EQUAL, CIVIL RIGHTS FOR ALL PEOPLE. End of story. That's it.(&&&)

2. Amy

Amy

I feel about the same way.
    There's a lot that I don't like about America, one of which is the treatment of the LGBTIQ community.

In a few years, I will be moving to another nation in the Anglosphere, most likely the UK.

3. donnie5

I completley agree with you all people bitch about these days is which party there with and all i care about is people having civil rights and when i talk about it people laugh at me and it makes me disgusted inside because i wonder when it became ok to not give a **** about anyone around you. im still waiting for people to realize that were all human beings and we all deserve to be happy

4. Just Adam

i feel the same.

civil partnerships make me think of two people going in to business together not two people in love committing to each other.

i love canada, always have. seems such a nice place....memories of sue south and stargate sg1 ...hmmm :slight_smile:

haha..

but we are now talking about it alot more and its getting more support so im getting more hopeful i actually think now of late we will get full marriage before long and USA who tried to pioneer this widespread same sex equality and im sure who will try to take all the credit when doing nothing will get left behind

5. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    *beams proudly to be a Canadian*

6. Just Adam

don't suffer the sin of pride :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

hehe

7. RedState

I've always been kinda of torn on this issue. Not equality, but actually who sanctions what.
    Civil Unions, Domestic Partnerships I'm all for, because that is something that is administered by the State.

Marriage itself (while I support it) I have always viewed as being sanctioned by the Church. Even if it were legal nation wide, I don't know of many churches (especially in the South) that would recognize it.

8. I don't give a damn if a church recognizes my marriage or not. I want all the rights that heterosexual couples have. Every last one. I don't care what they call it, so long as it's equal. And when the time comes, and I've found the man I want to spend my life with, I will not be afraid to go elsewhere. God Bless America, but damn the government.

9. Nomad187

This. I love being Canadian and I am proud to say that I have been to a gay wedding in every province and I am one of the maids of honour to my best friends wedding.

10. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's Pride, and there's just loving that I'm a Canadian :grin:

11. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

I'm so ashamed to be American. :|

Well, I've always been, really. America sucks. It used to be great. It used to be the symbol of freedom for the world.

The country has been progressively declining in every single way since the early 70s.

Really, not many countries have a hypocritical constitution. But we proudly proclaim our hypocrisy. It makes no sense.

Canada should invade and annex the US.

There are some places that are good in the US. VERY few.

#11 Lady Gaga, Jul 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2010
  12. Eric

Canada does not have, under any circumstances, the raw military force to be able to successfully annex the US. We have about 1/10 and our military, although respectable, doesn't compare. Maybe if other countries helped us out. =P

That said, Canada is awesome, isn't it?

13. RaeofLite

In some respects. There is still a lot of bigotry in smaller communities throughout the country as I've observed. That being said we do have equal rights according to the government, so that says something.

14. Eric

Yeah, my town is traditionally fairly "conservative" in that there is nothing even remotely gay in this town. It's too small for even any clubs and the Pride festivals have been canceled every year for the last few years. I was gloating about the equality.

I know only 5 gay guys out of a population of around 50000, so people aren't exactly in any hurry to come out. There are also no programs for LGBT support locally either.

15. RaeofLite

I know how you feel. I want to move to Vancouver or somewhere along the coast where I can be with the fellow gays and lesbians to make life easier. :slight_smile:

16. Rikudo

I'm proud to be an American.

17. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

Oh please I was just kidding.

#17 Lady Gaga, Jul 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2010
  18. Mysterons

Mysterons Guest

In most Western countries (if not all, but let's leave a margin of error) civil and religious marriage are separate for the simple reason that States are secular and therefore must grant the same rights to everyone regardless of cult. Besides, the Government cannot force the Church to marry same-sex couples if they don't want to. Just as the Church shouldn't (yet it happens, unfortunately) be able to impose its dogms upon the rest of the nation.

19. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

This is why I think civil marriage should be forced to recognize and marry gay couples, but religious institutions have a right to keep their own views and deny gay couples if they so please.

Forcing gay marriage on religious institution is in a way breaking separation of church and state.

20. Étoile

When and why can the church claim ownership of the term and practice 'marriage'?