1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Facebook Groups

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by EM68, Feb 6, 2010.

1. EM68

I have been thinking about the different groups that you can be a member of or a fan. There have been some groups like 'Repeal Don't Ask Don't Tell' or '1,000,000 Strong for Gay Marriage Across America' that I wanted to show my support for or get information on my news feed. The only problem is that it will show on my 'friends' page that I joined the group or became a fan of xxxx. About a quarter of my 'friends' are from my work and I'm not out to most of them. I would love to be out of the closet at work, it drives me crazy. The only thing is, like I've mentioned before is that there are a number of homophobic people at my job. They are strongly anti gay. I'm afraid of what kind of backlash I would get. I think sometimes this fear has made me isolated from my coworkers. I am out to a couple of people at work and they are great. I feel so comfortable with them. I can be my self. Anyone not join certain groups because you don't want to advertise to others that you are gay?

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Ed! Actually there is an option under the 'Group' tab that will allow you make the groups that you have joined invisible to others. You can also delete/remove the reference on your wall, which should delete it from the news feed as well. I would think though that if you join a group and you set your settings that you are the only one who can see which groups you have joined that it should not pop up in the news feed at all.

3. EM68

Thanks but wouldn't show in suggestions?

I guess also my post was also a mini rant also. I hate being in the closet at work. I just don't feel comfortable being in the closet anymore. I also hate the idea of isolating myself from my coworkers. It feels awkward.

4. Sicsemper79

I am a member of a pro gay marriage group on facebook. I also dont specify my "interested in". i dont think that makes it terribly obvious. Lots of straight people are supporters of gay rights. I wouldn't give it too much thought.

At the same time, are you really that concerned if someone privately questions your sexuality?

5. EM68

Thanks Jake, I did join the gay marrige group. I'm on the fence about this sometimes I could care sometimes I could careless.

6. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What ever makes you feel comfortable Ed! There are groups I join or will become a fan of something, sometimes without problems. But at other times I do think about it too because I am not out to everyone either.

In terms of venting of not being completely out at your work, maybe continue dropping hints or just be more open about yourself. If one talks about something, like a movie or what they did, maybe jump in and just say "I saw the movie with my boyfriend or maybe that would be a good movie to see the next time I am at the movies with my boyfriend." Like this you are coming out, but are also treating it as something completely normal.

7. pteen

There's millions of groups i never joined because of that.
    Like this one pro gay group i forgot what it was called though.

8. EM68

Your so right Mirko. :thumbsup: When I plan to come out I should do it in a casual way like its no big deal. The people that make fun of gay marriage at my job are the ones with the problem. If they decide to give me crap because I'm gay, then I will just shut them off.

9. Jim1454

I put in a request to join a 'Pride at Work' group on Linked In. I expect that all of my 'connections' will see that I've joined it - and I'm now OK with that. I WANT them to see it. It's about time the issue of homosexuality is more openly discussed at work.

10. Becky1234

Out Status:
    A few people
    I joined the One Million Strong for Gay Marriage group just the other day and deliberated for a few minutes before hitting the "become a fan" button. Very few of my Facebook friends know about my sexuality at this point, however, I saw it as the status of a straight friend who lives in L.A. and is a friend of Adam Lambert (fun to name drop), so I figured, hey, people can support whatever they want and it doesn't HAVE to mean anything. People can assume what they want. When my status reads: "Hey guess what? I am gay!" then might have to deal with some stunned facebook pals. That day won't be anytime soon, lol. I have joined many groups, such as Eating Disorder Awareness, Domestic Violence Awareness, etc., etc., so another "political" type group probably won't phase my Facebook friends, and maybe not yours either.

Alison

11. Dtownandrew

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That's right. Facebook groups don't have to mean anything when you join them. For example, I'm in a group about Mammogram awareness, but I'm a guy.

12. wizdrorcal

Completely agree with these posts. I've felt the same way...sort of. But lots of my friends that are joining these groups are straight! And nobody will notice. If they do...and suspect something..this could help with coming out at work! I also have my interested in deleted my from profile.

13. Adam

My family joins some of these groups and they invite me to them too, so I join them but I am completely out so I don't care. I also have friends who join them as well who are also straight.

14. RaRa

I'm not out besides a few peeps and I join those groups anyway. A few times some of my friends even join. =)

15. EM68

I've been thinking about this a lot over the past few says. I realized to me its more important to me to be true to myself. More so than what people may say about my sexuality.

16. s5m1

Good for you, ED!!!!