1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to ask my mom to see a counselor. : )

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Mind Freak, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Mind Freak

I think it would help me figure myself out a little bit better. I know that ultimately it's up to myself to know me but a little professional guidance certainly wouldn't hurt.

I just don't want her to think that I'm unhappy with my life or anything because I'm content for the most part. I just don't know how to deal with stress well. I push it all on the back burner and grin and bare it and it builds up and then I feel on edge and close to bursting into tears. Maybe it's just teenage hormones but whatevs. : )

I'm afraid she would take it personally, she's a great parent she does so much for me and I consider myself to be a great person and it's largely in part because of her.

So yeah. How do I bring it up? It's probably more of a sensitive topic for me than for her. Lol.

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Print out your post and hand it to her. I don't think you'll do any better than that. :slight_smile:

Lex

3. Beachboi92

I'd say that if she has seen you get bad (emotionally with depression or aggression due to the issues of dealing with stress) then she will understand how you feel about getting counseling and support you. All you need to say is just what you said here. You feel like you need help with how to deal with stress. To bring it up is just find a good time to say hey mom i need to talk to you about something then just let it rip. If you are out to her recently then she will definitely understand :slight_smile: if not its kind of like coming out xD "hey mom i need to talk to you, i'd like to get counseling because (insert why here)" :x

Good luck and message me anytime if you have anymore questions about the subject (4 years of dealing with counselors, Psychiatrists, medication, depression, and crazy people/family members :x)

4. RaeofLite

Even well adjusted individuals need someone to "vent to" or talk to about stressful things in their lives. Just remember that counselling or therapy doens't mean "you're broken" or "messed up". You just might want to "sort things out" :slight_smile:

(no "" was harmed in the making of this post)

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A parent who is clued in should realize that a son or daughter asking to see a therapist is a really good sign, because it's someone who realizes they could use some help and isn't afraid to ask for it. I agree, i think what you've posted says it pretty clearly and succinctly. Go for it and see what she says :slight_smile:

6. NeonCookies

I think that what you said on here is what you should say to her you really can not say it any better then that :slight_smile: she sounds like an awesome mother and i am sure she well understand and support you :slight_smile: best of luck

7. Becky1234

Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi,

I'm a psychologist, so I can tell you a few things about reasons for going to therapy. Firstly, it is a wonderful thing to be able to talk about things that you don't feel right "sharing" with other people like family and friends. Maybe we don't want to burden our loved ones, or maybe we need to just talk to someone outside of our circle. If you are feeling depressed, don't wait. And maybe let you mom know that you do feel "down" and that you don't want it to get out of control, so you want to address it now. You can let her know you love her and feel great about her support, but you still think therapy would be very helpful for a number of areas of your life. It gives you an objective perspective, and its a gift. I consider it like a massage - some people really need it and some people just really enjoy it. If you need it, make it happen. Perhaps let her know that at times you do feel pretty sad and overwhelmed, and that you are confident that some therapy sessions would be really helpful. Can you talk to a guidance person at school and then let your mom know that they recommend it? It sounds like your mom is a very understanding and loving lady so she may be very happy at the thought of being able to help you. In most areas you can find therapists who specialize in GLBT issues, and if money is an issue you can often find low-cost options or ask the therapist you see if they will "slide" the fee for you (make it a little cheaper).

If you have more specific questions about going to therapy I would be glad to answer them for you. You can message me.

Good luck!

Becky