1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boys of EC, i have a question for you...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MusicIsLife, May 5, 2008.

1. sdc91

I would usually just avert eyes/switch subject because I was uncomfortable with it, even after I came out to myself because I didn't want anyone else to find out. I used to say "that's gay", but I stopped a couple years ago. I don't think I went as far as to badmouth it, though.

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm guessing you're out to your family. In which case your brother might just be having trouble reconciling what he has thought of as homosexuality and what he sees in the media as homosexuality, with the flesh-and-blood homosexual living under his roof.

Lex

3. Wired106

Ya I sort of still do that so people don't find out. But at first when I first found out I was, I didn't want to accept it and thought it had to be a phase so I pretty much tried to forget about it. It was only until really recent that I accepted it.

4. OneHatMadder

Yeah I used to do that all the time. I wouldn't mention it or anything though 'cause he has to come out in his own time.

5. Hahaha I just remembered something; when I was at my old school my best friend and I were always asked if we were gay. He had a fairly high voice and we pretty much spent every waking hour together, he was also pretty flamboyant and we were pretty touchy feely. So we'd always have people asking if we were gay, never if we were dating oddly enough, but ya I would always just answer yes lol.
    Then I'd leave it to them to decide if I was or not, so technically I came out ages ago but no one knew if I was serious or not. lol (!)

6. Davo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's a great way to handle it. Cause I was quite close to my best friend at school everyone used to joke we were gay (I say everyone, it happened once or twice), he'd get really pissed off about it (being straight), but I made a joke of it, or just roll my eyes and keep quiet.

I could say I never insulted gay people or gay things, as a rule I never did, but there was one time when someone did ask me what I though of gay people and (being a bit drunk and defensive at the time), I did say some bad things. But it was only that one time, and every other time I'd always be pro-gay, even when I was in the closet.

7. Stargate

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think we all do it at some point, in situations where were uncomfortable and dont really feel like screaming it. I think we do it because soceity expects it of us and we try and over-compensate trying to avert people from thinking were gay.

8. David

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I never really cared about it. I thought that if someone was happy being gay, so be it, I wouldn't judge what little of it I saw. My best friend's mom was gay, so I got used to it from when I was like six (although i didn't really understand).

9. Thatsit

I wouldn't ever say "thats gross" or anything, i would just say "thats weird" but now i dont cause i'm all accepted and stuff (yay). now I just keep watching the show or whatever.

I'd guess your brother does it because either he is bi/gay, he thinks someone else thinks/knows he is bi/gay, or because he possibly know's you're gay(?)
    I really don't know
    just tryin to help:eusa_thin :shrug:

10. cityboy340

Originally: OC, California Now: Baltimore/DC
    I think my reaction was usually like that, but only if other people were around, and I even one time hit someone because they called me gay but this was in elementary school and i hit like a girl so it wasn't anything big, but I think that I didn't understand it and this is why I acted like this

11. Alex89

Before I was out I'd get very uncomfortable around gay guys or try to avoid them. D=

Anything gay in TV or movies I'd completely ignore, even if my friends would comment or anything.

One thing that got me uptight or irritable was being asked about girls or if I liked anyone - I'd get extremely uptight and angry with the person.

12. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Somewhat, but I can't remember being too serious about it. I would attack other gay people to try and shield myself from suspicion, but that's about it.

13. sexyalex

lol i was never the type to be histerical of anything.
    nothing suprised me. the most i would do is sit there and stare. :lol:

i guess that's normal behaviour for a child who walks in on their parents having sex at age 7 and walk in on his father lubeing his mom's vagina at age 13. soo.....

:shrug:

14. Nodnarb

No, I don't think I was ever really like that. I may have tried to avoid any gay guys I may have met(to make sure people didn't make a connection), but that was all. One time I was asked if I was gay(in 8th grade), but I denied it.

Also, even before I realized I was gay, I would support gay rights in class debates and if it ever came up in a discussion with my friends. Of course, I claimed it was because I am Democrat, not because I am gay.

15. Pepsi

Pepsi Guest

I used to be like that, not the gay guys disgusted me part the "I'm not gay" part

16. skyoverland

I personally actually see when people use this comment: "That was totally gay!" I see the word gay as a negative word. I can't really explain it. I disassociated my sexuality with the word gay. I feel that if I like guys I just say I like guys, not gay. Other than that...yeah I joke around with the word. Also honestly, seeing guys kiss on tv used to bother me but not anymore, I feel that same sex relationships are being accepted and shared which is good. I think that your sexuality is small part of you, you can't let it define you I think.

17. Andy21

I did get all uncomfortable when I saw anything slightly gay on TV or something (even Will & Grace at times!), but I never did say I wasn't gay. I just wouldn't say anything.

18. JSG

JSG Guest

Did we need to know that Alex? :eusa_sick
    I always used to feel really uncomfortalbe seeing anything gay on tv, and I blush really easily too...
    I remember when we still had english tv and I lived with my parents, my mother often watched Will & Grace, I couldn't even stay in the same room at first, but I guess she suspected nothing so I started watching it with her (without having to go through what Alex did :lol:slight_smile:

19. Alex

Hm never said anything, well when things like that was on TV i usually just stay quiet because im nerveous, though if my mom asks something ill answer as "normal" as i can..

20. JSG

JSG Guest

Oops, I meant sexyalex, soz, there's too many Alex's on this forums >.<