1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thrift stores/Charity shops

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PatrickUK, Nov 1, 2021.

1. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you ever shop at thrift stores or charity shops? If you do, what do you normally buy? Are you happy to buy clothes and shoes from these places?

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Almost my entire wardrobe is thrift store chic! Here, there are a whole bunch of them, and you can often find fantastic deals. I'm wearing, at this moment, a lovely pair of jeans of a brand I'd never heard of. Cost me $6 and they're so comfortable I looked up the manufacturer online... and found that new jeans like the one I'm wearing is $110! (That won't be happening!) Same with some lovely sweaters and polos. Shoes occasionally, but I still have some shoes I bought 20+ years ago and a bunch of pairs, so that isn't something I often have need of.

3. Doopz

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, whenever I can. (Which granted isn't often) Got a few shirts from there that I love (but sadly don't have anymore, cause the blackhole that follows my family everywhere took it.)

4. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Absolutely! Most of my new wardrobe has come from charity shops. And, as I have found, they are much better for women's clothes than men's.

I'll also have a mooch in the records and CDs. It's rare to find any decent vinyl these days, but they're very good for picking up CD albums from the Noughties you might have missed...

5. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love reading about the bargains people find in these shops. When I go into these shops I have to avoid the bookshelves, in case I come out with another armful.

6. Loves books

I used to buy books in charity shops before I got a kindle. My sister used to buy clothes from charity shops but at the time she was in college and lived in a big city so there was a huge choice. I’m not opposed to buying clothes from a charity shop but I’m pretty sure half the country buys clothes from the same shop so I don’t think I’d find something I actually want.

7. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello All.....I really enjoy shopping at thrift/second hand stores. I look for books, DVD's, occasionally office desk equipment and sometimes clothes. But my special bonanza (when I can find them) are glass paper weights. I always look for special ones...not just clear glass. I have about sixty with the six that I like best on my desk right now. I posted photos of my two favorites in my photo album here on EC, if anyone wants to take a look!
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

8. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Flea markets, garage sales, farm auctions, thrift stores, yeah, I need an intervention! Prob have 100 vintage toy farm tractors dating from 1941 to the 1970's. Oh and vinyl, old rock and roll! Best items found were 4 Beatles albums pressed in green and orange (for Hong Kong market???) and a British Pound sterling with Churchill on it. No problem with used cloths, I think thats where mom got half my stuff growing up. Shoes, never really thought about it.

Dean

9. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Absolutely my favorite place to shop!! I don't always have good luck, but I have found some amazing things second hand. I shop both departments for clothes, and actually have found some surprising things that way. I don't really do shoes or jeans unless they have very little wear on them, because of the way they break in. I love to flip through records too...usually not a lot to be found there, but I have been growing a collection of weird mid-century albums that I couldn't pass up because of the covers.

#9 clockworkfox, Nov 3, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2021
  10. Bouldghirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Definitely. They give the opportunity for great bargains and the thrill of the search just livens up a shopping trip. I’ve had some fabulous stuff over the years that I could never afforded new. My favourite was a soft leather jacket that cost me £10 but I wore it for about 8 years until it got damaged.

11. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I really romanticize thrifting - I've heard tons of people getting great deals on expensive stuff or unique finds.

Unfortunately as it's increased in popularity, the prices [in my city's only thrift store] have gotten a bit crazy. You shouldn't be able to buy it brand new at walmart for the same price or similar as used. I don't seem to have the patience to keep checking inventory for cool finds either lol

12. j4ss3n

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I try to go thrifting at least 2 times a week, normally I look for sterling silver flatware, older vintage items, watches, textbooks, and other stuff I know I can flip for a profit.

A good half of my wardrobe is thrifted, sometimes I have paid more to get it dry cleaned and tailored to fit my body better.
    I usually go for items that are more unique/designer. That way if it doesn't work out for me I can sell it.

13. Aelin56

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't go to thrift stores that often but I really like it. I only buy clothes there because thrift stores in my country rarely sell anything else. I found some really nice clothes in thrift stores that were in good condition. It takes some time to find something good but it's worth it, you can find real fashion gems. I have a sort of boho/hippie style and a lot of clothes in thrift stores match this aesthetic.

14. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's interesting to read what everyone's thoughts and finds in them are.

I haven't been to a thrift store in a while but have found some nice sweaters in them in the past, which were hardly worn. When I went in, generally, I found a lot of clothes to be practically new.

I stopped going though as I started having a hard time finding things that fit me properly. Maybe it's time to try it out again. :slight_smile:

15. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    When I can finally be out the first thing I'm doing is buying an entire new wardrobe of men's clothing and giving my old one of women's clothing to people who need it. I actively avoid wearing two thirds or more of the clothes I have right now to make myself be a little less dysphoric, so it's all in pretty good condition. I would try to sell it all but I'd rather give it to someone who needs it and avoid the hassle- a win-win scenario.

You can find amazing deals in thrift stores, so that's where I'm going first. I'm a sucker for jackets so I'll probably buy a ton of them, maybe some good sneakers and sweaters if I find them. Anything else just depends. I know too much about men's fashion at this point because I've looked at my currently forced-to-be-feminine wardrobe from every angle trying to get closer to passing as male. I wonder if my girlfriend will be shocked when she sees my actual style rather than what it's been forced into (I'm not just going to feel better, it'll look a lot better too).

I love going in any kind of music store or pawn shop and seeing what guitars they have on sale. I found this one Stratocaster that was a light gold and sounded amazing but sadly since I'm saving to move out of here it's out of my budget. If I find one like that that's a really good deal I might take it but for now I'll just hope no one buys it before me.

16. CatSpinner

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Personally, I'm fine with buying second-hand clothing as long as they can easily be washed.

Also, I like looking at Christmas trees and ornaments that aren't super dirty or broken. I ended up buying a few cute Christmas ornaments at a Goodwill store just a couple weeks ago. They were super cute and are in good condition. They're sitting near the staircase right now. When my partner and I get our own house (hopefully by next year), I'd like to buy a pretty light blue artificial Christmas tree and decorate it with pastel ornaments. I'm a sucker for pastel colors. XD

17. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I rarely go to charity shops, but thrift stores are one of my fav places.
    What do I buy? Oh anything, really... Clothing because I'm aware of the effects of fast fashion on both society and the environment. You also stumble upon exceptionally well made, high quality clothes, with all sorts of fine details, and if not, you can always salvage the buttons.
    I used to scavenge for old tech, just for the fun of using those devices, but those days are long gone and I got rid of all tech older than 5 years, since I don't really use it...

Furniture is also on my list, most of what I 'own' comes from thrift stores.

I see a trip to these places as a way to reconnect with the past as well. Just go through old vinyls of forgotten musicians, see the horrible haircuts and clothes on some forgotten cooking book from the 1960s. And sometimes you even get to touch and appreciate the care and beauty of true antiquities from the 1800, like an oil lamp or a comb. You find whole albums full of photographs as well, and can try to imagine who these people were, how life felt back then.

The downsides are obviously the smell, the need to bring most clothes to a tailor (which increases the final price), and the fact you don't always find what you need or look for.

18. DecentOne

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Most recent purchases were tables. Years ago I got a pair of dress shoes that looked as if they’d never been worn, I still have those. If I’m going to do a messy project I might go buy worn pants so I don’t get my regular clothes dirty, I’ve kept one of those pairs around for several years now though so I don’t need another. I got an iron and ironing board, but the iron’s thermostat was broken so I had to keep unplugging it in the middle of ironing each item (until someone gave me a working iron), and the ironing board wasn’t so much of a bargain when I bought a new cover for it.