1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mad Harry Potter fans?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AvatarRoku, Sep 5, 2021.

1. AvatarRoku

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Anyone else obsessed with HP or is it just me?

2. Loves books

I’ve loved Harry Potter since I was a kid. I was the kid who queued up at midnight to get the newest books the second they came out. I can’t believe my mother let me drag her to Tesco at midnight. I still love it. I joined the Harry Potter society at my college.

3. caden0803

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I’ve grown up watching the Harry Potter movies a lot with my mom. I know they aren’t perfect, but I would say it always been a bonding moment for us so that’s why it holds great value to me. The Prisoner of Azkaban is my personally favorite.

#3 caden0803, Sep 5, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2021
  4. caden0803

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Didn’t like the phrasing of my previous response so I wanted to redo it. I’ve watched the movies a lot with my mom growing up. I know the movies aren’t as detailed as the books, but watching them with my mom has always been a good bonding experience for us. It’s why those memories hold great value to me. The Prisoner of Azkaban is my favorite out of all the movies.

#4 caden0803, Sep 5, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2021
  5. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Harry Potter is great, but the author has some really horrible views about trans people and that kind of taints it for me now. I know many people would suggest looking beyond J K Rowling's transphobia, but I really can't. The same mind that created Harry Potter is used to attack and denigrate trans people and that leaves a sour taste.

6. Lemony

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am the exact same Patrick. It just makes me sad to think about it.

7. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm afraid J K Rowling has caused a lot of hurt to the LGBT community with her views and to the trans community in particular. Many of us feel a sense of betrayal that someone so intelligent and articulate should be so crass and insensitive.

8. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I do not actively seek out things that have LGBT+ characters and stories. I do however actively avoid things that are themselves hateful representations or are created by people who are themselves or who ally themselves with people who deny that I have a right to exist, make specious claims about people who are like me and commit other hateful acts towards LGBT+ people.

9. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I didn’t know that. I really love the books, but this does leave a bad aftertaste :frowning2:

10. staticinmyattic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I’m pretty sure we all decided JK Rowling is an urban legend made up to get trans kids to eat the vegetables. The Harry Potter books were written by Lady Gaga.

Also, Rowling made a comment about being allowed to say whatever she wants because of her own gender uncertainty. I have no clue what this woman is thinking or experiencing, but she’s not doing herself or her fans by working through that stuff publicly the way she is. If I can afford a gender therapist so can JK Rowling.

11. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    What??!! Just because someone is a TERF does not make them trans in the closet. Sometimes a person who hates is just someone who hates and who needs to be called on it.

12. staticinmyattic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Oh no, I agree completely! I’m sorry, my phrasing gave the impression of making excuses, which I don’t mean to do. What I want to communicate is that whatever the cause of her transphobia is, I wish we didn’t have to watch her work though that publicly. This is my attitude toward all transphobia, it’s a problem that needs to be owned and resolved by the person who owns it. Anyway,

QuietPeace, thanks for calling me out there. I’m still making myself at home in the world of LGBTQ spaces, and I still have so much learning to do. I haven’t even begun truly exploring my blind spots, so thanks for pointing that out to me. Being presumptuous about a persons LGBTQ identity as a way of attacking them is a cis het habit I picked up to make myself more convincing as a cis het person. It feels good to start shedding that sort of baggage.

13. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can deal with that legend :grin: Yeah. I agree. She should deal with these issues without all the publicity.

14. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have the same thoughts. I hate this bigoted woman. She is a sexual abuse survivor, and it's said that this is why she attacks trans folks, but in my opinion, it doesn't excuse her at all.

15. AvatarRoku

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    your mum sounds great I wish I could have done that deathly hallows came out just before my birthday and I wasn’t allowed to read it to after my birthday . Not fair!!!!

For the record. I in no way agree on endorse J K Rowling’s views and find them incredibly disappointing even disgusting at times. especially as she has such a great platform and opportunity in her writing, a literal global audience in which she could spread equality and tolerance for all. But I still feel it doesn’t change the books to being bad. Yes it does diminish it. But we still marvel at how the Egyptians built the pyramids even though it was built by slaves. It changes its meaning not necessarily the work.

#15 AvatarRoku, Sep 6, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2021
  16. RavenK

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I used to love Harry Potter so much. My now deceased sister and I would watch the movies when I was little. I had fond memories of reading the first three books over and over again. I had almost all the movies, and I loved rewatching them. I felt a kinship with the characters. But knowing what JK Rowling is like ruined it for me. How could I read or watch something made by someone like that? She poisoned those memories. She poisoned the things I'd cherished for so long.

17. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This. Harry Potter was my childhood and I don't even know who I would be today if I hadn't had it in my life. It's always going to mean a lot to me, but I can't enjoy it in the present anymore. There's something to be said for separating author from their work, except in cases where the author's views are clear within the work. As hers are.

18. torig

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    i love harry potter. i re read the series every few months if i get the chance. i watch the movies every so often as well. i have a cpl cloaks and posters around my room

19. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ironically, I've only now been watching all the films online

Remember reading the first two or so in school, and might have seen parts of the first and last films

20. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like Harry Potter, but I prefer other series over it. My sister, an absolutely obsessed fan, would probably be appalled to know this.

I read the books, but they weren't really to my taste. The writing was a little slow, whereas I prefer a faster paced story. Admittedly I actually preferred the writing style in the cursed child, which I know is scandalous and by a different writer, I'm not saying it was a good story but it did hold my interest for longer.

Another truly scandalous aspect I'll admit is that I didn't care for Harry as a character (granted, it's been a while since I read the books). I know, I know, I'm sorry. The part I liked about the series was the different houses and a curiosity about wizard society in general than the main plot about Harry battling Voldemort. I just didn't care for the characters all that much, I didn't feel a connection with them. Harry Potter was always something I liked in concept, but the execution just wasn't for me.

Whereas, when I moved on to other series by different authors, such as Artemis Fowl (Eoin Colfer), Magnus Chase and Percy Jackson (Rick Riordan), the characters and writing style appealed to me more. They had more of a comic-book style flow in terms of action and comedy. I'd say that J.K. Rowling tends to write slower stories that are more like mystery novels with magic, it's less character driven and has more focus on world building. There's nothing wrong with that, but I preferred Percy Jackson because it didn't take itself so seriously and I felt more a connection to the characters than I did with the world of Harry Potter.

#20 Canterpiece, Oct 8, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2021