1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The development of sexual orientation

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Bastion, May 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sojabohnenfeld

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know.

I grew up in a conservative, religious environment, so, while I do agree these men are bad people, I think it is wrong to hate them for societal pressure that forces men to hate themselves.

Good thing I didn't say that.

I was trying to say that I have been this way since childhood, but I did not have sexual feelings as a kid. I am a simple person. Please do not read more into my words than what is there. I am 19.

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wasn't actually saying they're bad people. (They're deeply hurt and screwed up, for the reasons you mention, which makes them self-hate and do bad things. I see that as different.) I was saying that when you have obvious poofs like that claiming to be straight, it makes you wonder how many more folks are out there who claim to be straight but aren't... which makes it all the more difficult to get reliable data when you're trying to study these things.

Spaceseed likes this.
  3. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    IMHO they are bad people. People like them have done horrific things to me. A person who hates themselves and hurts themselves is a sad person who I will fell bad for and sad for. A person who uses their self hate to justify torturing other people is just a bad person.

Mihael likes this.
  4. Bastion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don’t think anyone is inherently bad because he can’t for some reason or other disclose or discuss his sexuality in public. This line of thinking does seem kind of judgmental. What if this person is aware of his situation and is trying to seek professional help. We may never know. He may be suffering or struggling internally and is actively working on himself and his issues.

5. Bastion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So back to the subject of this thread. So i came across something while I was reading online. I think it’s a field of research or specialization within Psychology Called “Developmental Psychology”. I think this area of study might help shed a light on this topic. And what caught my attention even further was an article by Dr. Jesse Bering In Scientific American Entitled “ Is your child a prehomosexual? Forecasting adult sexual Orientation.” For those of you who are curious about this. You can check it out. It contains some interesting information.

6. Bastion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So even though he is gay and his score on the Kinsey scale is 6. He does not agree with the term “born gay” and he states his reasoning behind this.

7. DecentOne

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes. That’s pretty much where I’ve spent more productive energy. That way I’m not stuck.

Other Rabbit Hole: My wife keeps wanting to know what caused my shift from straight to bisexual, but my therapist and I decided that didn’t make much sense as a focus. It happened. Besides, there were weak clues that I’d been attracted to a variety of people (not just one gender) back when I was an adolescent at least. Now the focus is “what am I doing with it?” and “how does a married monogamous bisexual become visible and authentic?” (I pretty much already answered “_how_ am I doing with this?” by being accepting of myself and marching in Pride waving a flag, and coming out all over the place).

Maybe not a Rabbit Hole, as it helps me: Sometimes I like reflecting on evidence from the past which reinforces the idea that my “I’m straight” period was really not ever Kinsey Zero.
    Example: A time I remember I was in my mid 20’s and I was paired up with a guy for a dance since there were not enough women in the group, and I said out loud, arms on him, “Wow! This is different, this is cool!”. He was a little startled. Everyone around me noticed, but folks, including him, were totally accepting (our group included at least one out gay guy and we all considered ourselves LGBTQ allies). I was fine acknowledging the moment (no shame), but it didn’t shake my idea that I was straight. Now it helps me claim bisexuality even more authentically.

I did do some research on “how are we this way, and from what age”. Mostly for entertainment. One of the most fun published materials was from at least 100 years ago, where the hypothesis was that we’re all born bisexual, and some suppress their same-sex desires, others their different-sex desires. Everybody (except the bisexuals who remain open to all their attractions) ends up neurotic and needs psychoanalysis (not surprising the author was a psychoanalyst). Ha! I kept copies of the most relevant pages of that book, and smile.

LilLady9 likes this.
  8. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is something so biological and primitive to sexual preferences (in how they feel) that I will never believe it has anything to do with learning it or being conditioned to it.

I mean, sure, you can live in denial of what your instincts are, but why do that? Why lie to yourself?

9. Bastion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    @Mihael
    Thanks for your post.

Conditioning depends a lot on the environment you were raised in. So it does play a big part in it. For people who were raised in a religious and conservative way. Maybe that’s all they know. And when they grow up to be adults, even though they feel different, they might not able to come out of it. They might try to deal with who they are. But they can’t completely erase all their past.
    Some people simply can’t change their lives because they might have worked hard to be where they are.
    Having said that, I didn’t say a person has to be in denial. Am not, If i was. I wouldn’t be here having these discussions about these matters. I guess it’s my way of working through this until I reach a resolution that am happy with. Acceptance in a place of repression and judgment is not easy. And it’s not just me. There are a ton of people in here that have similar issues, otherwise they wouldn’t be here either.

LilLady9 likes this.
  10. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    But pressuring yourself or being oressured to be straight isn't the same as actually being straight. Upbringing can't change your biochemistry in this way. It's not development in a different direction, it's a plain old lie. The conservative culture keeps on telling lies about us, yes, and we internalise them very often. It doesn't change the fact that some things remain hollow when they should come from the inside. They are just an illusion.

11. Bastion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    @DecentOne
    Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it. It means a lot. Because when I read your posts it reminds me somehow of myself. I relate a lot to what some of you guys say and describe.
    Although am not as good as expressing my experiences and memories and thoughts as you guys but i try my best.

People mostly get the impression that am stuck or that am in denial. Am not and I have known from a while back that am not completely straight. Sometimes I wonder what my life would be like if I have chosen a different path, like what it would be like to be in a same sex relationship. And when am kind of stressed and anxious, i just think why i am this way. So my brain works to try and find as much information as possible. My analytical side kicks in and tries to find a logical and reasonable answer. While it may be a Rabbit hole or not. But to me I feel I have to go through it so I can completely get over it and move on if that makes sense.
    Also Finding these forums and reading about different experiences and viewpoints helps a lot. Listening also to the advisors here also helps. Because it’s different from just reading info and research online.

By the way I think I might know exactly the research you are referring to as well as who the famous psychologist is.

Other researchers maybe less well known have also mentioned similar findings about sexuality and how a person can go either way or both from an early age.
    And as for the famous Kinsey scale. Now thinking about it I don’t think I was ever a zero. I did it twice recently but during different periods once I got a 2 then a 1.

12. Bastion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    @Mihael
    maybe you misunderstood me. I am not pressured to be anything I am just myself. But thats not the point am discussing here which is the development of sexuality.
    So we kinda veered off topic.
    I was trying to explain in my reply to you what external factors might have contributed to make me the way I am.

13. Spaceseed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Not found of those religious right wing closeted folks who hates on lgbts ...that’s just shitty and it’s screwing up society well being, not to mention how many people they hurt. An adult should learn how to deal with their problems...

i remember a psychiatrist mentioning juvenile bisexuality , as of it was a stage everyone goes through at least in essence not necessarily in action.

I’ve always wondered about nature vs nurture on this subject.

while I can clearly see how I was born a certain way , I don’t exclude that a big part of our psychological development also happens in the wound which is heavily influenced by external environmental factors , is the mom at peace or stressed out etc ...

So the concept of nurture may begin earlier than what we commonly understand.

In the same token , I’ve often wondered how much the lack of a same sex figure has influenced my own development, did it push me to identify with my mother instead ? Was my mother under stress in pregnancy because of my father ?

I also wonder how much of the mother influence plays , some may be pregnant with a baby girl but deep inside wanted a boy , total speculation here of that matters or not , but it is something I’ve heard before .

lastly , where there’s no known lgbt in my family , I know there is a gene running on both side that is not straight ...I suspect both of my parents and a few members of my close relatives to be deep inside somewhat trans or bi , they just call it being eccentric while hiding behind religious beliefs and traditional values .

And then we have a nice cocktail of nature and nurture when a closeted parents with internal homophobia pass on their genetics to their children , and fail at being a parent ...

And I all comes down to discrimination creating a snowball effect of trauma through generations.

and you’re stuck to deal with it as a child knowing nothing about life as you’re just learning how to spell your own name .

14. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I like what @Chip and @PatrickUK have said on the subject. The whole process that causes one person to be gay and a sibling to be straight is obviously extremely complicated, as is so much of our genetics. It's pretty obvious that there's not one gene, one hormone, one thing that happened to the mother, etc that defines sexuality. In fact we may never understand completely how sexuality is determined. As much as I'd like to know more about this topic, I think for now we need to focus our efforts on supporting our LGBTQ+ Family locally and around the world. There is still so much progress that needs to be made, so many that are being persecuted just for whom they love. That should be our focus.
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

Bastion, PatrickUK and Spaceseed like this.
  15. Spaceseed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Well said David ❤️

16. Suitsme

Suitsme Guest

I’m late replying on this one so I’m sorry if I repeat anything that’s already been said.

There will always be a nature versus nurture debate on this particular topic. It brings forth lots of different perspectives, experiences and topics of research.

I believe that the development of sexual orientation is multi factorial. A bit of this and a bit of that so to speak (co-factors).There are lots of different biological hypothesis. Genetics, environmental factors such as prenatal hormones (fetal development and hormones) and even brain structure has been looked at by some scientists.

There are so many different studies and theories.

There’s also something called Fraternal birth order which has a correlation to male sexual orientation. It’s also known as “The older brother effect”. This depends on how many sons a woman has. If she has a lot of sons, she can develop an immune response called the maternal immune response. She will develop antibodies that neutralise male Y proteins which affect development of differences between males and females. This causes some parts of the brain to be arranged in a female arrangement and make for attraction to men, See studies by Ray Blanchard, Anthony Bogaett and John Michael Bailey.

I also love looking at studies of twins, particularly monozygotic (identical) twins.

These are just areas I’ve looked at that I find interesting.

#36 Suitsme, May 14, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2021
    Bastion likes this.
  17. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Are you thinking that if you discover the source of your homosexuality that it will change how you feel about it? That's what I read from this quote above.

For me, the internal knowledge that I have always felt this way is enough for me to conclude that I did not choose to be gay, nor did myself or anyone else "cause" me to be gay, and that I have no control over it. With that knowledge, I can then accept myself fully as a gay man who was "born this way," whether or not it happened at conception, in gestation, shortly after birth, or some combination of these.

Maybe ask yourself why does this examination of the origins of sexuality matter to you? Is it simply an academic exercise or do you think there's more to it for you?

18. Suitsme

Suitsme Guest

I like what you’ve written here :slight_smile: Some of us are naturally curious. My degree studies were in human biology and health science so I always love to study why things are like they are, even with sexuality and gender.

There are quite a few people in my own family who are gay as well

Nickw, Spaceseed and Bastion like this.
  19. Bastion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    @quebec

From as far as I remember I have always been kind, warm, open minded, non-judgmental and accepting of everyone. I am well travelled and lived in several places around the world. I have always tried my best to befriend and support people of the community or others.I walked with people during Pride. None of this was easy for me because I got persecuted, alienated, being laughed at for just hanging around and making friends with people of the LGBT can you imagine. Even some of them abused the trust I had in them and used it for their personal gain or to hurt me. What can I say no words can explain what I went through the last two years.

Off course this has nothing to do with the topic of this thread. But you mentioned support, and persecution so am elaborating a bit on that.

Having said that. I know most of the people here in EC are welcoming and Kind. I feel safe here. And i know I can share my thoughts and views without being judged.

And thanks to you and all the advisors and all the people who posted. I may have asked about something that is a bit sensitive and controversial and I apologize if I offended anyone.

It’s just this is the way my mind works to try to process and find my way through acceptance. Opening Pandora’s box is not my intention.

Now I know more information thanks to online info and the information provide by posters and advisors. And am ready to move on to the next step. The more productive step in looking at things.

It is what is. We don’t live a perfect world and we are not perfect. People make mistakes but we try to learn from them as much as we can.

Nickw, Suitsme and Spaceseed like this.
  20. out2019

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For a long time, I tried to figure out 'why' but really, I was trying to figure out 'why' so I could 'fix' it.
    I still don't know all the answers.I don't think it's a 100% genetic, environment can probably play into it - it's also some confusion about what 'gay' means. Is Lindsay Graham gay because we think he had sexual thoughts? Then were are the childhood molestation cases which confuse things....
    I don't know.
    What I do know is this is how I experience romantic and erotic love, and how I can express it. When I think about women it's not even close... rather than focus on whether it's a choice or not I started to think about how beautiful it is that I have this gift to express and receive love.. even if I could figure out 'why' why would it matter? I was deeply ashamed that I was gay for a long time, now I just try to focus on being grateful about being able to love this way. I wouldn't want to change that.

Imagine if you could find the guy of your dreams and make love to him- if you're gay the thought of this will probably fill you complete joy- focus n that!

Suitsme, Bastion and Spaceseed like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.